• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Root after OTA?

eazy401

Jun 1, 2011
Unable to root using unrevoked 3. I get an error asking if my firmware is too new? Any ideas or suggestions? It says on their support page try removing apps, due to compatability issues i had yet to install any? Is this issue due to the recent update to Android 2.3

Good Morning. I've been following the forum for a while and doing some research on rooting my phone. I was planning on waiting for the Gingerbread update before doing it. I haven't actually done the update yet, but I wanted to make sure that I will still be able to root my phone after I do the OTA Gingerbread update. Will the most current version of Unrevoked still work to root my phone if I'm running stock Gingerbread?

Upvote 0
Unable to root using unrevoked 3. I get an error asking if my firmware is too new? Any ideas or suggestions? It says on their support page try removing apps, due to compatability issues i had yet to install any? Is this issue due to the recent update to Android 2.3

Did you accept the OTA for 2.3? If so, what is your current hboot version? Unrevoked currently only works on hboot 2.10 and lower. I believe the new hboot is 2.15(not verified yet) and might not work on that one til they find an exploit.

Upvote 0
Good Morning. I've been following the forum for a while and doing some research on rooting my phone. I was planning on waiting for the Gingerbread update before doing it. I haven't actually done the update yet, but I wanted to make sure that I will still be able to root my phone after I do the OTA Gingerbread update. Will the most current version of Unrevoked still work to root my phone if I'm running stock Gingerbread?

I don't believe it will work. If you want to root, do it now and then flash the stock rooted rom that is available in the 2.3 update thread. It will bring you up to date without losing your chances to root at this time. I am sure they will come up with an exploit to allow unrevoked to work but as far as I know it does not currently work on the new update.

Upvote 0
For all that have taken an update on the Evo with a sense rom or otherwise stock currently your hboot has changed to 2.16. No root is available but this is only a temporary issue. Be patient until some of the developers taken a look at what kernel and other constituents may be involved. For all that have not taken the update don't and you can still root. You may encounter provisioning problems but you can call Sprint and have them refresh you on the network.

Reactions: novox77
Upvote 0
Panic mode I tired to root before any of the replies, my mistake. I downloaded this zip file(PC36IMG.zip) and tried to flash it, but it failed and now I am stuck. The phone won't boot it gets stuck on the HTC EVO 4g white screen and if try to restore I get a picture of a Droid with a red exclamation point inside a red triangle. PLEASE Help fast

Upvote 0
Panic mode I tired to root before any of the replies, my mistake. I downloaded this zip file(PC36IMG.zip) and tried to flash it, but it failed and now I am stuck. The phone won't boot it gets stuck on the HTC EVO 4g white screen and if try to restore I get a picture of a Droid with a red exclamation point inside a red triangle. PLEASE Help fast

Shoot me a private message, I got your back....

Reactions: eazy401
Upvote 0
My previous, rooted EVO had a hardware failure on Friday, so I got a new one, but before I rooted it I did the OTA upgrade to 2.3.3, software version 4.22.651.2, Baseband 2.15.00.05.02. I can't root with unrevoked, is there another way or do I need to wait for an exploit?
welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
yep you have to wait now. hopefully it will be soon. the devs are working crazy with this new ota.

Reactions: HTC Taiwan
Upvote 0
I don't see my post I made from the phone so I do apologize if this goes through double.

The "firmware too new" is not a new message. Has there been actual confirmation that unrevoked will not work? In the past overcoming the firmware message was simply rebooting the phone and trying again. (sometimes requiring more than one attempt)

I also encourage everyone to help each other publicly...you may help many many more people in the process... helping through pm's is a great dedicated way to answer questions and I know I have and will request it at times...but if we keep all the answers locked away we are losing the potential to help ALOT of people...

oh..ok why the ban lol

Upvote 0
I don't see my post I made from the phone so I do apologize if this goes through double.

The "firmware too new" is not a new message. Has there been actual confirmation that unrevoked will not work? In the past overcoming the firmware message was simply rebooting the phone and trying again. (sometimes requiring more than one attempt)

I believe there has been reports of unrevoked giving a different message. Something about an unsupported version or something like that. I would have to find the thread about it.

Reactions: Mr. Ed
Upvote 0
I am rooted and can not take the update.
Will that be fixed soon too?

Hello The only way to get the official OTA download on rooted android phone is to unroot the phone and then download the OTA in stock or you can get the 2.3 rom and flash it ....it just wont give you the warm and fuzzy feeling that it is directly from HTC. you can get the stock rom with root here for the evo : http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/347533-official-gingerbread-2-3-rooted-evo-4g.html

I hope this helps... and I just fyi I don't know this phone very well I am just doing research for my buddies evo Im going to root.... but this is standard....

Upvote 0
Hello The only way to get the OTA on "most if not all " rooted android phone is to unroot the phone and then download the OTA in stock....

I am not sure what you are trying to say there but please do edit it...

there is absolutely no reason to unroot the phone ...the link you posted after this statement is all someone needs to run the stock/rooted update

Upvote 0
I am not sure what you are trying to say there but please do edit it...

there is absolutely no reason to unroot the phone ...the link you posted after this statement is all someone needs to run the stock/rooted update

I was under the assumption that he was asking how to get the OTA update download directly on the phone ie the real way phones are suppose to be updated.... I have never seen a rooted phone download/install an ota update successfully.

The link to the 2.3 "ota" update with root....so in a way its not an ota its a stock rom with root as OTA refers to Over The Air.

Upvote 0
I was under the assumption that he was asking how to get the OTA update download directly on the phone ie the real way phones are suppose to be updated.... I have never seen a rooted phone download/install an ota update successfully.

The link to the 2.3 "ota" update with root....so in a way its not an ota its a stock rom with root as OTA refers to Over The Air.

Very literal point indeed!

The rooted update on xda is the exact same update with busybox and super user root permissions etc etc but yes...you can't get that ota.

What misleads others is that when we post something like "rooted phones cant get the update". They take of as they must unroot to get 4.22 with gb.. which has led to a craplpad of people unrooting to get it....the being unable to root the new hboot.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

I think Mr Ed(correct me if I am wrong) was referring to the fact that you don't NEED to unroot to get updated to 2.3. There are alot of rooted phone users that for one reason or another do not know or comprehend that. Telling someone that the only way to get the update is by unrooting is incorrect.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I think Mr Ed(correct me if I am wrong) was referring to the fact that you don't NEED to unroot to get updated to 2.3. There are alot of rooted phone users that for one reason or another do not know or comprehend that. Telling someone that the only way to get the update is by unrooting is incorrect.

Yes that is true... I just miss understood I thought the person wanted to update via ota... my bad. but yes that is true you dont need to unroot to update but to get ota you do... I will fix my post right now

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones