• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Root after OTA?

I'm not sure I follow the responses talking about going back to 3.70 Froyo to regain root.

I still have root. I am s-off. CWM Recovery works fine. My root apps are working fine; Wireless Tether, ROM Manager, Titanium Backup, SetCPU.

I have not tried flashing a ROM, but I assume that would work, through CWM recovery.

The only thing not working is trying to flash the stock recovery. If I flash the stock recovery, and then try to reboot with volumeDown-Power, I just get a triangle-Exclamation. I believe that indicates that there is no recovery installed on the phone at all.

However, I can still boot the phone just fine, load a CWM recovery to base of sdcard, and then volumeDown-PowerOn, and that recovery flashes just fine.

Can you guys tell me why you think I don't still have root???

Upvote 0
I'm not sure I follow the responses talking about going back to 3.70 Froyo to regain root.

I still have root. I am s-off. CWM Recovery works fine. My root apps are working fine; Wireless Tether, ROM Manager, Titanium Backup, SetCPU.

I have not tried flashing a ROM, but I assume that would work, through CWM recovery.

The only thing not working is trying to flash the stock recovery. If I flash the stock recovery, and then try to reboot with volumeDown-Power, I just get a triangle-Exclamation. I believe that indicates that there is no recovery installed on the phone at all.

However, I can still boot the phone just fine, load a CWM recovery to base of sdcard, and then volumeDown-PowerOn, and that recovery flashes just fine.

Can you guys tell me why you think I don't still have root???

If you have s-off, you still have root regardless of custom recovery or not. The problem is that it is possible when you accept the OTA while rooted, you may well lose root entirely until a new exploit is found. The suggested way to update to the new OTA is to download and flash the stock rooted odex rom found here: [ROM][STOCK] 4.24.651.1 - Odexed & De-Odexed - xda-developers

You will get the same software update as you would by accepting the OTA except it will not update your hboot(and possibly cause you to lose root). The stock recovery if I am correct, is not something that is usable by users but rather something that the OTA uses to install the updates after they are downloaded.

Reactions: g_b_h and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
all you have to do is run the 3.70 RUU. it will say booting into bootloader, then it will time out and give you an error. at this time all you have to do is unplug the cord from the phone, and close the RUU and reopen and rerun it again and it will work flawlessly. ive done it a couple times already. this is how you root evo on stock 2.3.3 ota. you have to downgrade to 2.2. dont flash that pc36img file. most people have bad luck with this. the easiest way to be able to root after 2.3.3 ota is the RUU

I have tried this on two different unrooted Evos to try and get back to a rootable state and both times it failed and said something to the affect that the main version is newer or something like that. Did it work for you on phones with s-off already or with s-on?

Upvote 0
If you have s-off, you still have root regardless of custom recovery or not. The problem is that it is possible when you accept the OTA while rooted, you may well lose root entirely until a new exploit is found. The suggested way to update to the new OTA is to download and flash the stock rooted odex rom found here: [ROM][STOCK] 4.24.651.1 - Odexed & De-Odexed - xda-developers

You will get the same software update as you would by accepting the OTA except it will not update your hboot(and possibly cause you to lose root). The stock recovery if I am correct, is not something that is usable by users but rather something that the OTA uses to install the updates after they are downloaded.

Thanks for this info. I believe that due to the way "Unrevoked Forever" does s-off, it's pretty much impossible to loose s-off from taking an OTA. At least that's what they describe here,

public:forever [RootWiki]

And, yes, I agree, that the stock recovery is only useful for taking OTAs. That is exactly what I would like to do, but something is preventing the flash of the stock recovery from "taking hold".

I was always able to do this stock recovery method with each Froyo update, and even with the Froyo to 1st GB update.

What's interesting is that I am for sure rooted, as stated above. And, on hboot 2.16. hboot 2.16 is the unrootable recovery from the first GB OTA update that I did. But, because of the the s-off method that's described on the unrevoked forever website, I kept root, as expected.

What's odd is I was able to help this guy do successfully exactly what I want to do, but it won't work on my phone. Just can't get that stock recovery image to actually flash, even though it says it did it correctly.

Evo 4.22 Stock Recovery - Page 3 - xda-developers

Oh well, I guess time to start trying out some ROMs.

Upvote 0
Ive heard if you unroot and set the handset to ( s off ) then ota update you can still reroot and flash virus kingdom at least but if you were ( s on ) then you are s.o.l. got this info from a friend at sprint, as for me I've never rooted yet and did the ota so I have to wait now. Hopefully this gets dealt with quickly as I really want to root for sense 3.0 since HTC won't cough up the goods cause they wanna sell more phones rather than satisfy existing customers bah!! Okay i had to vent lol its cool now :)

Upvote 0
Ive heard if you unroot and set the handset to ( s off ) then ota update you can still reroot and flash virus kingdom at least but if you were ( s on ) then you are s.o.l. got this info from a friend at sprint, as for me I've never rooted yet and did the ota so I have to wait now. Hopefully this gets dealt with quickly as I really want to root for sense 3.0 since HTC won't cough up the goods cause they wanna sell more phones rather than satisfy existing customers bah!! Okay i had to vent lol its cool now :)

There is no reason to unroot to get the update. We can flash the radios and rom without unrooting. If you still have s-off, you are still rooted.

Sense 2.1 and 3.0 take up alot of memory in your phone so if they gave it to us, it would severely limit the unrooted phones on apps. Those that are rooted can use A2SD to bump their available memory to avoid running out.

Reactions: tuner935
Upvote 0
I use a2sd and thanks that will really help when i can finally root for the 3.0 didn't know they didn't use it formally because of memory issues kinda sucks but I can understand if it is the phones limitations that hold it back they didn't exactly didn't exactly go for the gusto on memory on this phone

No they didn't but fortunately the devs for this device were not satisfied with the way it was set up.

Upvote 0
Thanks for this info. I believe that due to the way "Unrevoked Forever" does s-off, it's pretty much impossible to loose s-off from taking an OTA. At least that's what they describe here,

public:forever [RootWiki]

And, yes, I agree, that the stock recovery is only useful for taking OTAs. That is exactly what I would like to do, but something is preventing the flash of the stock recovery from "taking hold".

I was always able to do this stock recovery method with each Froyo update, and even with the Froyo to 1st GB update.

What's interesting is that I am for sure rooted, as stated above. And, on hboot 2.16. hboot 2.16 is the unrootable recovery from the first GB OTA update that I did. But, because of the the s-off method that's described on the unrevoked forever website, I kept root, as expected.

What's odd is I was able to help this guy do successfully exactly what I want to do, but it won't work on my phone. Just can't get that stock recovery image to actually flash, even though it says it did it correctly.

Evo 4.22 Stock Recovery - Page 3 - xda-developers

Oh well, I guess time to start trying out some ROMs.

After many failed attempts at getting the stock recovery flashed so I could accept the 4.24 OTA, I finally gave up.

And, then, found this thread on "that other forum",
[GUIDE]Updating to rooted gingerbread WITHOUT flashing a new ROM or wiping your phone - Android Forums

And,,,,,success! I installed RA recovery, and simply took the OTA. Still rooted with s-off, didn't even need to reinstall su, it is still there, and all my root apps run fine.

Unrevoked forever rules! It is pretty much impossible to lose root if you have s-off via "unrevoked forever". Except I guess if you want to lose root, then just use their s-on tool.

Gotta still wonder why that stock recovery would not flash on my phone. Others have reported success doing that. And, also why the OTA wouldn't flash using CWM 3.0.0.5. Oh, well, I'll be using RA from here on out...

Upvote 0
Wondering why you can get gb and sense 3.0 on a v kingdom Rom no problem plus access to all htc's widgets but its just too big for HTC to put on our evo's? Here's a thought lighten the thing up so I does fit because if a Rom dev can do it especially before the 3d even dropped why can't a huge corporation with infinitely more resources? If they can't they might consider hiring whoever created this Rom. Oh and build in the option to push apps to the SD... Can't be that hard my last blackberry could even do that at least

Upvote 0
Wondering why you can get gb and sense 3.0 on a v kingdom Rom no problem plus access to all htc's widgets but its just too big for HTC to put on our evo's? Here's a thought lighten the thing up so I does fit because if a Rom dev can do it especially before the 3d even dropped why can't a huge corporation with infinitely more resources? If they can't they might consider hiring whoever created this Rom. Oh and build in the option to push apps to the SD... Can't be that hard my last blackberry could even do that at least

The problem is that the phone was not originally set up or intended to run apps entirely from an sdcard but rather a portion of it was stored there in Froyo Apps2sd. With Darktremor A2SD aside from a symlink that tells the phone where to find the app on the card, the app does not reside in the internal memory on the phone. If you lightened it up too much, it would not be worth using. I agree they need to hire some of these devs or make them an offer for their work but if the devs for this device went to HTC/Sprint then we wouldnt have the stuff we do for our rooted phones. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones