• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root and Boot Animation ?'s

Berry2Droid

Android Enthusiast
Nov 17, 2009
NJ
First off, im running HC2.1,
1.Dont you have to root to be able to upgrade to a different software type? I rooted before in stalling greek35 2.1, then upgraded to HC2.1, do i have to reroot?
2. Rooting is just, using the update.zip file you download, then using droidroothelp.apk program, mount3, update those 3 things, flash 15.0, rename, reboot ect...so basically as long as you have SU app on your phone your rooted no?

Now boot animation question
I downloaded a boot animation, connected my phone with usb debugging, used the cd command and abd push bootanimation.zip /data/local, rebooted and the boot animation didnt change..after i used the push command, it said x.xkb transfered in 1.23seconds or whatever...any suggestions?

You can just put the bootanimation.zip on your sd card, then in a adb shell do

su
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
mv /system/media/bootanimation.zip /system/media/bootanimation.bak
cp /sdcard/bootanimation.zip /system/media/bootanimation.zip
sync
reboot

That is it, if cp comes back as not found then just do
mv /sdcard/bootanimation.zip /system/media/bootanimation.zip
OR
cat /sdcard/bootanimation.zip > /system/media/bootanimation.zip

Upvote 0
You can just put the bootanimation.zip on your sd card, then in a adb shell do

su
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
mv /system/media/bootanimation.zip /system/media/bootanimation.bak
cp /sdcard/bootanimation.zip /system/media/bootanimation.zip
sync
reboot

That is it, if cp comes back as not found then just do
mv /sdcard/bootanimation.zip /system/media/bootanimation.zip
OR
cat /sdcard/bootanimation.zip > /system/media/bootanimation.zip
Its been partially explained to me but im not grasping this abd shell. I dont know what im not getting about it. I followed all of the instructions on Big Lou's post with push bootanimation.zip ect and it didnt work.

I did all his commands by using usb debug and using start>run>cmd

Whats abd shell?

Upvote 0
First off, im running HC2.1,
1.Dont you have to root to be able to upgrade to a different software type? I rooted before in stalling greek35 2.1, then upgraded to HC2.1, do i have to reroot?
2. Rooting is just, using the update.zip file you download, then using droidroothelp.apk program, mount3, update those 3 things, flash 15.0, rename, reboot ect...so basically as long as you have SU app on your phone your rooted no?

Now boot animation question
I downloaded a boot animation, connected my phone with usb debugging, used the cd command and abd push bootanimation.zip /data/local, rebooted and the boot animation didnt change..after i used the push command, it said x.xkb transfered in 1.23seconds or whatever...any suggestions?
did you put the zip you want to push onto your phone in the tools folder?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones