• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Root and custom rom

tiggerlator

Aug 26, 2010
Just used those guides to get this one read to hand over to my dad.

Rooting took barely seconds. Getting ClockWork Mod on took a little longer partly because my laptop was playing up not finding the device etc (did the same thing when I rooted my Desire)

Installed Pauls ROM without any issues and have been piling on the apps since :D

Gets rid of all the Orange junk and slow Launcher too :D

Just purchased an unlock code on eBay for

Reactions: Nighthawk4
Upvote 0
I have never risked trying anything like this.

If I did and I didn't like the result, is there any way to restore to how I started, or is the device screwed - or at least different permanently?

How viable is 2.2 for the San Francisco now? Is that working yet? I read on one site that it installs upside down. Is that true?

If I can't update to 2.2 (is that Froyo?) then what would I put on - a custom copy of 2.1 without all the Orange crap?

The main reason I am thinking of trying to go to 2.2 is because my phone keeps complaining of being out of space and I understand 2.2 can install apps to the SD card. Is that possible with 2.1 as well?

Edit - Well, I bit the bullet and gave it a try. I downloaded the software to root and flash the phone, plus a specially-cooked ROM from Modaco. Now it looks the same, but no longer has most of the Orange rubbish which I didn't use. Still on 2.1 of course.

I found a video from Paul at Modaco on YouTube which gave clear instructions for the first part. I couldn't find the ROM he used so I installed ClockworkMod as well and used the ROM with that.

Nerve-racking but actually very easy. If I can do it, so can anyone. Thanks to all concerned.

Upvote 0
I am still 2.1 but I got rid of most of the Orange stuff which it doesn't let you delete. Also gained more space on the phone and gained a lot of useful experience.

Not dared to risk the 2.2 update yet. I have it downloaded and the instructions are not that different. However, it seems to require wiping the apps and data for the 2.2 update. Not keen on doing that.

Upvote 0
Not sure. Probably not very much to be honest. It was really just for the experience of rooting and installing the custom ROM. I am still getting prompts about running out of space.

I have seen instructions for installing apps to the SD, but not risked that yet. Alternatively, I believe Froyo includes that anyway. Not risked that update either yet.

I just have too much junk installed, such as 3 mail clients and 2 browsers - to allow for comparisons. I need to decide which one of each I want and delete the others.

Upvote 0
Sorry to keep asking but i know of no one else with this phone!

Last night my phone suffered major slow down and I was wondering, has rooting your phone significantly improved performance so much so you will never go back to stock?

And have you noticed any bugs or flaws yet with your rom?

Upvote 0
I've recently purchased a San Francisco phone and managed to get it unlocked quickly and easily. So where do I go from here? I've no clue at all about Android, have no idea what rooted means and don't really know what roms are.
So what I'm saying is that I am beyond a beginner but I would like to learn about this phone, how to download apps etc.
Who can help me? (in English please)

Upvote 0
Well I use the android market usually to download and install apps etc but have since found app brain to be very cool, you choose apps,games,themes etc that you want by choosing install on the site. Then on your appbrain app on your handset you select manage and syncronize and it will give you the opportunity to install the apps you previously selected on the appbrain site!

As far as rooting goes (As I explained above) I have yet to attempt this due to fear of breaking my phone but apparently can increase functionality of your phone gaining complete administrator like access to the core parts of your phone allow max customisation. Rooting can also apparently improve performance of your handset but again Ive not done this but would be tempted if it helped with this and major improvements of HD space,

A rom from what I understand is the kind of Custom version of an android OS, in a sense a fellow android user could take a base copy of the stock OS and tweak it,remove and add things and release it as a custom rom, in order to install these you need to flash your device or something and gain root access to your phone to boot it and install a custom rom.

From what I gather some roms can have advantages and disadvantages some have bugs/flaws and some dont but as with everything im sure its trial and error.

Like I mentioned I am not doing it yet until im 100% confident of doing it without making my phone an expensive paperweight!!

I hope this helps and if anyone can explain this better please do! lol

Upvote 0
I just purchased one of these today and have already unlocked it and flashed it with a custom ROM. Gotta say that the phone is alot better since I removed the Orange UI and all their bloatware that was on it. It certainly runs quicker than it did initially.

It's still on 2.1 Android, but that's ok for now. There are 2.2 ROMS available but I think I'll wait until after Xmas when those involved have had a chance to iron out most of the bugs you usually get in the initial releases.

The information you need to do it is all on MoDaCo website but to be honest I had to read a few different posts before I got all the right bits of software I needed to do.

I will try and write a simple step by step guide with links to all the software you need (which for me was the hardest bit)....promise it's really not difficult though. Once you have everything you need it will take you about 10mins.

And YES you can revert back to default ROM if you change your mind (but you likely won't once you've done it :) )

Hopefully I can post something for you in the next 24hrs.

Upvote 0
As long as I had an "undo" step I will be confident of doing it, is it simple to go back to default build?

Once you've installed ClockworkMod Recovery on your phone it's really easy to change the ROM anytime you want (just a case of popping the ROM on your memory card). This includes going back to the original Orange ROM. You can do this by either creating your own backup before flashing your phone, or by downloading the ROM from MoCaDo.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones