1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Root Root and install Kernel only?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Branndon, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Branndon

Branndon Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Website Developer
    Orange County, CA
    Hello all, new to the eris forum, but I own a droid and know a lot about rooting, kernals, and themes for it.

My wife has an Eris, and the battery life isn't even 12 hours lately. I'd like to root her Eris and install a kernel to allow it to run slower while in standby. I searched this forum, and didn't see many if any threads dedicated to only kernels. Am I missing something? I saw the guide to rooting, and installing new roms, I want to leave everything in tact, just allow underclocking. Thanks for your time.

Advertisement

2. andrizoid

andrizoid Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2010
    then use plain jane. its exactly the same as the OTA but with a new kernel

Branndon likes this.
  3. Branndon

Nov 10, 2009
    Website Developer
    Orange County, CA
    Thanks for the start! I don't want to install a new rom if I don't have to. I don't want to reconfigure her phone, apps, screens, accounts, etc. I know that's a part of life with rom flashing, and I've done it dozens of times on my Droid, but I want this to be her original OS with just a new kernel. Is it possible on the eris, or do I have to flash a rom to get the kernels?

4. andrizoid

Mar 25, 2010
    your going to need to flash a rooted rom.
    to use a new kernel it has to be combined with your ramdisk into a boot.img and im not sure if theres a way to get it if you dont flash a custom rom.
    flash plain jane, you will need to rest all your stuff but its EXACTLY the same as the OTA only its rooted and has the OC/UC kernel

5. Branndon

Nov 10, 2009
    Website Developer
    Orange County, CA
    I was reloading the forum page, I didn't think you replied, sorry. Thanks for the awesome detailed reply. I didn't know about plain jane, so that is the one I'll use if I decide to flash the rom. Thanks again for the reply!

6. andrizoid

Mar 25, 2010
    no probelm. i didnt reply, i just edited the message so thats probably why u didnt notice.