1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root and Updates

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by rbuchanan2377, Feb 18, 2011.

1. rbuchanan2377

rbuchanan2377 Lurker
    None

Feb 18, 2011
    I have a rooted evo. I'm a newbie and just learning so please take it easeasy on me. I have unrevoked 3.2 and Droid 2.2. I want to upgrade to 2.3 but my system updates say there are none available. I'm assuming that is because its rooted. Do i have to un root to update? And can sprint tell if im rooted? Don't want to mes s up insurance. I want to stay rooted just want to know how to keep it from sprint. Any advice woukd be very app. That said now ill really open myself for abuse. You'll probably hack me while you replie to this post just to teach me a lesson but is there anything i can do to protect my rooted phone? I have a firewall and AV apps and lookout.

Advertisement

2. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time...
    None

Jul 9, 2010
    Male
    Engineer
    'neath a cactus
    Welcome to the Android Forums!

Isn't Unrevoked 3.2 a custom ROM? If so then you can't necessarily receive an OTA (Over the Air) update on your phone. To upgrade you'd need to install the upgraded version of the ROM manually.

With respect to rooting, Sprint can determine that your phone is rooted if you provide them the phone while rooted. They can't really determine this without physical access to the phone.

3. rbuchanan2377

rbuchanan2377 Lurker
    None

Feb 18, 2011