1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Root assistance please?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dontalktofrank, Jan 18, 2013.

1. dontalktofrank

None

Jan 17, 2013
    Hi, i would really appreciate some help if anybody has the patience.

I have a HTC Desire which i'm looking to root and s-off, mainly so i can have a bunch of apps on my SD card since the phone's internal memory apparently has no space for anything anymore despite my having removed almost all of my downloaded apps... but also because i'm curious to see how my phone will run with different software, what changes i can make and whether i can improve the battery life.
    I'm from the UK, my Desire is the Bravo A8181 version running Android 2.2.2, PVT4, delete size 20,000.

I have spent A LOT of time reading all the FAQs and glosseries and guides etc i could find about rooting/s-off/fastboot/abd. I'd be lying if i said i had a good understanding of much of it but i think i've assimilated some knowledge to work with at leat. My two main problems are that a) a lot of what i've read seems to directly contradict a lot of other information i found, b) rather stupidly in retrospect and for reasons i can no longer remember i unlocked my bootloader through HTCDev last night, a process which updated the hboot version from 0.93 0001 to 1.03 0003. After i'd done this i was planning to s-off with Revolutionary but found the hboot update had rendered it incompatible.

http://androidforums.com/desire-all...ff-root-htc-desire-revolutionary-updated.html

In reference to that guide i have completed all steps prior to running Revolutionary, which i can't do since my phone is now incompatible with it. If anyone can give me an idiots guide as to the best way for me to now root and s-off my phone i would be very grateful. Please and thankyou.

Advertisement

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Hi donttalktofrank, and welcome to AF :)

Sometimes you will find contradictory information on the web because stuff gets out of date and is not maintained, something we try to avoid here. You will also find people recommend stuff that we specifically warn against (ROM Manager, Minitool Partition Wizard), in which case I just have to assume that they've not tried providing support to large numbers of users and so are unaware of the problems - individuals might not encounter a problem and so assume it's fine, but there was a time when this was a very active area of AF and we were seeing large numbers of people with the same problems after using those tools.

However, I'm afraid that you are quite right that neither Unrevoked nor Revolutionary will work after unlocking through HTCDev. So there are basically two approaches:

1) Try to downgrade your hboot so that you can run revolutionary.

There's an XDA thread discussing this option here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1564644. I've not read the whole thread, nor tried it. But if you can make it work, then this would be the best option since Revolutionary will give you full S-Off and hence more flexibility.

2) Use your unlocked bootloader.

You won't be able to run revolutionary, but with the bootloader unlocked you should be able to fastboot flash a custom recovery as described in the following step of the revolutionary guide, and use that to take backups, root the ROM or install a custom ROM (in other words, skip the bit about running revolutionary and do the rest). What you mainly lose through not having S-Off is the ability to increase internal storage through a custom hboot, though you can still use an SD card partition to gain more space.

The second should certainly work, but as I say the first would give you more flexibility if it is successful.

dontalktofrank likes this.
  3. dontalktofrank

None

Jan 17, 2013
    Thank you very much for taking the time and effort to reply, it's appreciated! Equally thank you for putting it in such easy to understand terms; as was probably evident i'm not massively tech savvy.

I did think it was possible to flash a custom recovery with the unlocked bootloader but had trouble finding/interpreting any information on how to do so (especially with relevance to my particular phone). Exactly the same case with downgrading the hboot. I will have a look through the links you've provided, which i'm fairly confident will tell me what i want to know.

Thanks once again! Peace.

4. dontalktofrank

None

Jan 17, 2013
Tags: