1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Root Commando using Mac?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jfever311, Jan 8, 2012.

1. jfever311

jfever311 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 8, 2012
    Crane Operator
    In a pleasant melody
    Hey there fellas, this is my intro post on the forums. I am a brand new Android user, having just activated my Commando a few days ago. Even prior to getting it, I had made the decision to root, and that decision has not changed. Here is my problem though, all of the threads and articles I have read regarding rooting the Commando uses Windows or Ubuntu. I have a 2010 Macbook Pro. Can I use the superoneclick or any of the other methods that you guys talk about? I have searched this place pretty good and have not turned up any results, which is why I went ahead and posted this thread.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Jason

Advertisement

2. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    Welcome to the AndroidForums, Jason.

Well, it does indeed look like SuperOneClick works on Windows and Linux, but apparently not Mac.

I've never done this, because I don't own a Mac, but you could probably install something like Wine (Windows emulator for the Mac) to that you could run SuperOneClick. I'd link you to something, but you'd be far better off doing a Google search and finding something that looks proper and relevant for your Mac than I could provide.

Just a thought...

Cheers, good luck, and again, welcome to the AndroidForums :).

3. paxchristos

paxchristos Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 27, 2011
    First off on mac, you're kinda S.O.L. There are no drivers (that anybodies found) for mac. (Period.)
    You'll want to either run a virtual machine or dual boot windows (or linux) in order to root your phone.
    Second off, any flavor linux works for the one click root that's attached/linked to somewhere in this forum :p

4. jfever311

jfever311 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 8, 2012
    Crane Operator
    In a pleasant melody
    Okay then. Thanks for the welcome and the help. That is what I figured was going on. Maybe one day after work I can scoot over to my brothers house. He has an old windows pc. How long does it generally take to go through the rooting process?

5. paxchristos

paxchristos Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 27, 2011

Depends on how fast his internet connection is/if you have a USB flash/hard drive.
    If you have a portable drive, download the windows drivers for this phone, as well as superoneclick. (shortfuse.org, I think)
    The whole process should take 5-10 minutes depending on how old your brothers PC is...

6. dab0neman

dab0neman Lurker
    None

Nov 7, 2011
    I have a MacBookPro running a WindowsXP bootcamp partition. Did the rooting with the C771 drivers, SuperOneClick2.3.3 and it worked fine.

So, if you don't have a WindowsXP or a Windows7 install disk, yes, you are kind of SOL on the Mac OS X front. It would be nice to have an OS X native way of doing this but maybe peeps like me that run Apple hardware almost everywhere run iPhones and so there's not much call for an OS X app to root an Android.:eek: