• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Root D1 with 2.2.1? help

Welcome and yes. Universal Androot stopped working a while ago. z4root supposedly doesn't work for the Droid 1/A855 on 2.2.1. But there's aguide here that will get you rooted:

http://androidforums.com/droid-all-...oid-without-rsd-lite-up-including-frg83d.html

Make sure you type in the commands exactly as shown and it will work. Or do a google for Supe One Click, it should work as well. Just note that neither of those methods will also install a custom recovery allowing you to make backups and flash custom roms, and that said, alot of people have had trouble getting the custom recovery to stick without flashing a custom rom. But there's a fix for that as well.

good luck

Reactions: DieselDood
Upvote 0
Teddy, I'm following your instructions now, step by step.

I'm waiting for the infamous step 6.

I got through that to the superuser step once before and it gave me an error (can't remember) that was something like not unlocked or privliges. So I started over from scratch. This time I'm seeing slightly different messages? I'm assuming I did something wrong the first time.

Is there anything I should be watching for?

Upvote 0
I now get to the mkdir /system/ xbin step (10) and get
"mkdir failed for /system/, File exists"
#

I'm assuming something didnt' work right?

Correct, you did the same thing at that point as you found you did below. In the quote above, see the space?
Code:
mkdir /system /xbin
incorrect, correct:
Code:
mkdir /system/xbin

Woohoo! I think I got it now.

I put in a space in the
"mount -o remount(no space here, oops),rw -t......."

Thanks a TON Teddy!

Not a problem, ya gotta look out for the syntax, it must be correct. But all this is moot as you're now rooted, good job.

i did it the old fashioned way before 2.2 but have also had good luck with this way...
[APP]SuperOneClick v1.7 (Root, Unroot, Enable Non-Market App) - xda-developers
And that is a great way to do it, however, the OP already got there and you cannot discount the 'hard' way. It builds character and more knowledge IMHO.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones