• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Root epic = problems solved

So I finally rooted my Epic! After putting up with shitty call quality, terrible signal strength and terrible battery life as well I decided it was time to root it or kick it to the curb! I have to say I am overly pleased with my phone now!

I was having a terrible time with the phone shutting off on me at 30%-15 or less and that does not happen anymore either!

Install clockwork
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwFRzzIqouE

QBking77's rooting FC09
How to Root the Samsung Epic 4G on FC09 - Latest - YouTube

I installed the original modem from the DK28 rom to get my stable connections back with both calls and wireless.
How to flash a modem on the Samsung Epic using Odin - YouTube

Themes can give you new features :D like flash light from the camera flash and that nice ICS look!
[EL30/FC09 Theme]EL30 ICS 3.0 [6/30/12] - xda-developers

Do this and you will feel like you have a new phone! I sure do.

I would really like to do this but Odin can be touchy and I ended up with my phone stuck in download mode. I was trying to do the GPS fix for this phone.

Glad it worked out for you. I rooted and flashed a Huawei Ascend from Cricket without nearly as much difficulty. The Epic can even be a challenge to have your PC recognize.

How is the Sprint service in Milwaukee? It has been horrible in Waukesha with dropped calls and .04mbps download data speeds. I actually would like to root the phone so I could force it roam on Verizon and get out of the contract (April 2013). Sprint's service has been that horrendous.

Upvote 0
The signal is terrible in Milwaukee if you are in any kind of valley. Which is almost everywhere because I live in franklin we have many low areas and only a few towers so in certain parts of Franklin I am screwed. Downtown area and the east side have pretty decent signal, never checked for max data, usually use WIFI wherever possible because 3g is too sluggish for me.

If ODIN is being strange chances are you need a new cable. I ordered a motorola cable off of ebay or amazon and it fits super nice and I only use it for when I want to connect to my PC and nothing else so it stays nice. I noticed if you uninstall the USB drivers restart ur PC then reinstall the drivers then connect ur phone and NEVER do a safe disconnect. Never dismount or unmount in windows or in android just take out the cable and it works every time i plug it in. But if i dismount then i have to uninstall the drivers again. Maybe it is just me but that is what I noticed. I know its not "safe" but it works for me so screw it. lol

If you are fed up though the Nexus is $50 upgrade on newegg right now, I was about to do that but I am going to wait for the next nexus and probably ditch this or give it to the GF because her Moto Triumph sux.

Most of my issues went away with just the stock root on FC09 and using the DK28 modem.

Sorry it took me so long to respond I need to come here more lol!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones