• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root for call recorder ...?

Hareti

Nov 28, 2010
I'm no android expert, so please excuse the wordy and perhaps simplistic question ...

I have an old S5 running on Android Marshmallow (6.0.1) on which I have the call recording app, ACR. It works fantastically well, and I rely on it heavily for various reasons. I also stopped updating the app after notification from the developer that they were having to make changes due to Google's new security policy, and all was well in the world. Recently I managed to crack the screen on the S5 and, although it is still working and held together with a screen protector, I decided to get a new phone and went for the budget Samsung Galaxy A10 for a mere £140. Problem is, it runs on Pie (9) and call recording is almost totally restricted.

However, I watched this video -
- (cued up for the relevant bit) and find that call recording is actually built into android, but deactivated in some regions due to Google's security policy (IDIOTS!). I haven't tried the app on the new device, but am assuming it will not work as the developers say it doesn't. So I am considering rooting the phone in the hope that this will allow me to change the settings and enable the android call recording feature within the phone itself.

I've never rooted a phone before and have heard warnings about it, so I have a few questions:
1. I know it will possibly void the warranty, but if I don't care about that, is rooting generally reasonably safe? Does the danger largely depend on what you do to the phone once it is rooted?
2. Is there a good step-by-step guide to rooting for the A10?
3. Is it definite that rooting will allow me to make changes to uncover and enable the stock call recording facility within the phone itself?
4. Is there anything else I should consider?!

Thanks in advance ...

I'm no android expert, so please excuse the wordy and perhaps simplistic question ...

I have an old S5 running on Android Marshmallow (6.0.1) on which I have the call recording app, ACR. It works fantastically well, and I rely on it heavily for various reasons. I also stopped updating the app after notification from the developer that they were having to make changes due to Google's new security policy, and all was well in the world. Recently I managed to crack the screen on the S5 and, although it is still working and held together with a screen protector, I decided to get a new phone and went for the budget Samsung Galaxy A10 for a mere £140. Problem is, it runs on Pie (9) and call recording is almost totally restricted.

However, I watched this video -
- (cued up for the relevant bit) and find that call recording is actually built into android, but deactivated in some regions due to Google's security policy (IDIOTS!). I haven't tried the app on the new device, but am assuming it will not work as the developers say it doesn't. So I am considering rooting the phone in the hope that this will allow me to change the settings and enable the android call recording feature within the phone itself.

Not really "IDIOTS", but more like telephone recording laws and ordinances in different regions and countries, that Google and device manufacturers MUST comply with to be approved and legal. Here in China all Samsungs have call recording as standard, and same with just about all other Android phones available in this country.

I've never rooted a phone before and have heard warnings about it, so I have a few questions:
1. I know it will possibly void the warranty, but if I don't care about that, is rooting generally reasonably safe? Does the danger largely depend on what you do to the phone once it is rooted?
2. Is there a good step-by-step guide to rooting for the A10?
3. Is it definite that rooting will allow me to make changes to uncover and enable the stock call recording facility within the phone itself?
4. Is there anything else I should consider?!

Thanks in advance ...

As for rooting a Samsung A10 and whether it will halp you or not, not sure, but might be some things here.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-a10

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones