• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Root for Kyocera Hydro Vibe 4.4.2

Did it work?

• Yes, on my Hydro Vibe

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Yes, on another device

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, it failed

• No, I don't dare

• Total voters

Vernalex

Lurker
May 17, 2015
After trying all of the KitKat roots out there I finally found a root for the Kyocera Hydro Vibe (KYC6725) running KitKat 4.4.2 (at this time the latest version for the phone). I personally am using it on Virgin Mobile, but I assume it would work on Sprint as well.

In any event the root is called Kingroot 4.0. It's available at:
http://www.kingroot.net/root

You don't need a PC and it's basically a one-click root program. So, it's an APK you download and that you can run by enabling "unknown sources" in the security settings. Once you have it running you click on a few blue buttons and it does its thing in a minute or two. For me I had to reboot before the root took effect and Rootchecker verified that it had worked.

It should be noted that the root is in Chinese and no-one knows how it works.

This YouTube video goes over it pretty well:

They updated it, it's in English now. I'm trying it out on my Hydro Vibe now.

Update - It seems to have rooted the phone but now it's having several issues. I can't turn the screen off, it won't sleep. The camera doesn't work. Media transfer and mass storage via USB to a PC do not work.

2nd Update - Factory resetting the phone removed root and fixed the problems. After a second attempt with KingRoot, it works without any of the previously mentioned problems. So far so good.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones