• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROOT] For the LG Spectrum ICS OTA

It's supposed to be like that. Usually there is a symlink between the two but at this point, everything looks in xbin for the su binary.
The rest of the script doesn't match it though. It tries to add the superuser bit to /system/bin/su but it only exists at /system/xbin/su. It also tries to link /system/xbin/su to /system/bin/su which obviously fails since /system/xbin/su already exists.

Upvote 0
First, thanks to all for this great thread. Endless wealth of information. I am new at all of this, I've read this entire thread at least 10 times in the past few days. I really don't want to screw anything up, not real tech-savvy in any respect. Through all of this thread I still just have one question.
- set USB to internet

Reactions: SteveW1005
Upvote 0
When I run the windows-install.bat this is what I get:

[*] LG Spectrum ICS Root script (Windows version)
[*] Copyright (c) 2012 jcase
[*]
[*] Roots the ICS Upgrade for the LG Spectrum
[*]
[*] Before continuing, ensure USB debugging is enabled, that you
[*] have the latest LG drivers installed, and that your phone is
[*] connected via USB.
[*]
[*] Press enter to root your phone...
Press any key to continue . . .
[*]
[*] Waiting for device...
* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *
error: more than one device and emulator
[*] Device found.
[*] Rebooting...
[*] Waiting for reboot...
[*] Rebooting again...
'#' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
[*] Installing root tools...
[*] Cleaning up...
[*] Rebooting one last time...
[*] Root complete, enjoy!
[*] Press any key to exit.

The phone never reboots and does not root. I have no idea what it means when it says there is more than one device and emulator. I have rooted several phones including the Spectrum before and I do have the correct settings.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Upvote 0
When I run the windows-install.bat this is what I get:
[*] LG Spectrum ICS Root script (Windows version)
[*] Copyright (c) 2012 jcase
[*]
[*] Roots the ICS Upgrade for the LG Spectrum
[*]
[*] Before continuing, ensure USB debugging is enabled, that you
[*] have the latest LG drivers installed, and that your phone is
[*] connected via USB.
[*]
[*] Press enter to root your phone...
[*]
[*] Waiting for device...
* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *
[*] Device found.
[*] Rebooting...
[*] Rebooting again...
[*] Installing root tools...
[*] Cleaning up...
[*] Rebooting one last time...
[*] Root complete, enjoy!
[*] Press any key to exit.

The phone never reboots and does not root. I have no idea what it means when it says there is more than one device and emulator. I have rooted several phones including the Spectrum before and I do have the correct settings.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Are you sure that adb debugging is enabled? Also, it looks like there is some kind of conflict where it is detecting more than one device connected to adb. Is the Spectrum the only device connected when you run the .bat file?

Upvote 0
Hello, I have the spectrum 2 and I am trying to root. I followed the beginning steps on the first post for internet mode and debugging, latest drivers and I ran the windows version since i am on windows 7. When I run the .bat file it just sits there after "daemon started successfully", any ideas? How long do i let it sit there?

Upvote 0
Hello, I have the spectrum 2 and I am trying to root. I followed the beginning steps on the first post for internet mode and debugging, latest drivers and I ran the windows version since i am on windows 7. When I run the .bat file it just sits there after "daemon started successfully", any ideas? How long do i let it sit there?

Sounds like it's not finding the phone as an adb device. You may need to install one of it's devices from device manager... Think its usually the one that shows up as a modem with the first gen spec to resolve adb issues.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

Upvote 0

The Spectrum 2 is not the Spectrum.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
hmm tried it on the mac and this is what happened, how do i fix? lines from terminal....

Installing root tools...
cannot stat 'su': No such file or directory
Unable to chmod /system/bin/su: No such file or directory
link failed File exists
cannot stat 'Superuser.apk': No such file or directory
cannot stat 'busybox': No such file or directory
Unable to chmod /system/xbin/busybox: No such file or directory
/system/bin/sh: /system/xbin/busybox: not found

EDIT: the reason im doing this is because i flashed the VS920ZV8_10 .cab to get whatever the update gave, and now i cant seem to root on my mac. used windows previously, but that pc died, and this is what i have to use now, any help is greatly appreciated:) i understand how to execute files as well, so i know that isnt my issue

Upvote 0
I'll refer you up a few posts on this page.

Specifically, This one.

Basically, he's talking about this section:

[HIGH]$adb shell "mount -o remount,rw /system"
$adb push su /system/xbin/su
$adb shell "chmod 6755 /system/bin/su"
$adb shell "ln -s /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su"[/HIGH]

You're pushing the su binary to /system/xbin/su in the second line there.
Then trying to chmod the su sitting in /system/bin/su to give it root, basically. But it's not there
cannot stat 'su': No such file or directory
Unable to chmod /system/bin/su: No such file or directory
Then trying to create a symlink between the non-existent su in /system/bin and the one that you just pushed. But link wont overwrite a file with a link if the file exists where you're going to make the link.
link failed File exists

try changing your linux-osx-install.sh lines line 82 from:

[HIGH]$adb push su /system/xbin/su[/HIGH]

to

[HIGH]$adb push su /system/bin/su[/HIGH]

I don't have a mac to test this... but that should fix your errors.

I'm not sure about the superuser.apk and busybox errors. But maybe that's because su didn't get setup.*shrugs*

Reactions: Conall52395
Upvote 0
I'll refer you up a few posts on this page.

Specifically, This one.

Basically, he's talking about this section:

[HIGH]$adb shell "mount -o remount,rw /system"
$adb push su /system/xbin/su
$adb shell "chmod 6755 /system/bin/su"
$adb shell "ln -s /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su"[/HIGH]

You're pushing the su binary to /system/xbin/su in the second line there.
Then trying to chmod the su sitting in /system/bin/su to give it root, basically. But it's not there
Then trying to create a symlink between the non-existent su in /system/bin and the one that you just pushed. But link wont overwrite a file with a link if the file exists where you're going to make the link.

try changing your linux-osx-install.sh lines line 82 from:

[HIGH]$adb push su /system/xbin/su[/HIGH]

to

[HIGH]$adb push su /system/bin/su[/HIGH]

I don't have a mac to test this... but that should fix your errors.

I'm not sure about the superuser.apk and busybox errors. But maybe that's because su didn't get setup.*shrugs*

okay, so, i attempted this and opened the linux-osx-install.sh and changed the one line (all i did was remove the x) then relocked the linux-osx-install.sh opened terminal and 'ran' it and the same errors occurred. i attempted to try several other changes but those were fruitless as well. honestly, im probably screwing something up somewhere.
im not in trouble anymore though just got to a windows pc and fixed it right up, so im not in dire needs, but if a mac is needed to test on ill be glad to do whatever i need to help get this working, just pm me the details( itd be nice to not have to look at the 2003 dell that i just used ever again!)

Upvote 0
Okay, now that I'm rooted for the past two weeks - again many thanks to all - I started getting notification today that there is a firmware update that wants to Auto-Update. I keep selecting "Remind Me Later" What impact will the update have? Do I just let it run? Is there a way to Unroot? Do I need to unroot?

It'll just unroot you. You should be getting the prompt to upgrade from v7 to v8. Just rerun the root script after you update and you'll be right back to having root.

Upvote 0
Okay, now that I'm rooted for the past two weeks - again many thanks to all - I started getting notification today that there is a firmware update that wants to Auto-Update. I keep selecting "Remind Me Later" What impact will the update have? Do I just let it run? Is there a way to Unroot? Do I need to unroot?

make sure you don't have anything frozen or removed from the stock rom as well. Root is not a problem, as stated before it will just remove root when you take the update, but if you have any stock apps frozen or removed you may run into some issues with taking the update, possibly even soft brick your phone.

Upvote 0
make sure you don't have anything frozen or removed from the stock rom as well. Root is not a problem, as stated before it will just remove root when you take the update, but if you have any stock apps frozen or removed you may run into some issues with taking the update, possibly even soft brick your phone.
Excellent, thank you. Unfroze 38 apps, don't recall un-installing anything. Hopefully everything will go well. Gonna stall the update until I get home

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones