• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Root-formated (retail version) SD card won't wipe/format

ranepowel

Lurker
May 8, 2012
I have had a card with 2.2 on it since about September of last year (2011), and up until recently haven't had any problems using Android on my NC. However, recently I started getting all kinds of errors upon each boot into Android, and now it is so bad that I cannot even get to a menu to reboot without error messages (apps that need to close, mostly) blocking the screen.

Furthermore, if/when I can delete or add an app, just as a test, it only lasts as long as the current boot. Meaning, once I reboot the apps I added are gone, and the apps I deleted have returned.

I decided to try and either update the images/roms on my 8gb micro SD card -- the one I purchased 8 months ago -- or just reformat the card and re-root. However, this has also proven to be impossible for some reason. I can format and wipe the micro SD card when it is inside the NC (and booted up in the standard nook OS), but as soon as the device is restarted the files and partitions have once again appeared on the card, and my NC boots into a now-broken version of Android 2.

I have tried disk wipers, partition wipers and made other attempts to format the SD card (e.g. formating while in the administrator tools section), all to no avail.

Additionally, if I put the Micro SD card inside a regular SD reader and insert it into my computer (PC, Windows Vista Home) I get a message saying that the card is write-protected. This message occurs even though the physical lock on the SD adapter has been removed, and it is not physically possible for the write protection to be on.

My question is...am I just missing something very obvious here? I'm fine with going out tomorrow and buying another micro SD, but I'd rather not make the drive if I don't have to, as I work from home. It just seems so odd and bizarre that I am able to successfully wipe the partitions and data from the micro SD -- at least according to the software programs I've tried out today -- yet somehow the information is seemingly instantly restored to the card whenever a reboot is done.

So, any help any of you could offer would be most, most appreciated. Thanks!

Sdcards will fail. If you've tried either of these two apps and it still doesn't work, it's time for a new card. A cheap Sandisk is the best for these type of use.

SD formatter_3.1
(Utility to remove all partitions on your sdcard. Use this if you used your sdcard to dual boot or install a rom and now want to restore it to stock.)

HP format tool
(Another utility to remove all partitions on your sdcard.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones