1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Root FRG83G

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sjs415, Jun 7, 2011.

1. sjs415

sjs415 Lurker
    None

Mar 21, 2010
    Motorola Droid 2.2.2 FRG83G

I want to root my phone but I've read so many posts where this particular build will not root. Has anyone been able to root? If so, please advise.

Advertisement

2. y2thrasher

y2thrasher Newbie
    None

Aug 4, 2010
    Test Engineer
    tomato88 and sjs415 like this.
  3. itsTUCK3R

itsTUCK3R Lurker
    None

Apr 7, 2011
    also download rom manager, that is the most important step. if you plan on installing a custom rom like charity v11 you are going to want to create a backup of your current rom using rom managers clockwork mod.

after installing rom manager go into it and select "flash clockwork mod". after that is finished select "backup current rom," a new window will appear, name the backup something like "stock" or "stock backup" or something that youll remember. after you select ok it will reboot your phone into clockwork mod's backup program and start backing up your system. it is absolutely CRITICAL that you back up your rom and keep it in a safe place. i have mine stored on my sd card, a dvd-r, and on my computer. if you dont back up your system and something goes wrong youll have a boot-looping brick, which is absolutely useless as a phone but good as a fancy paperweight. and the reason why i have it saved in so many places is because if you only have it stored on your sd card, and for some reason you format the sd card...your backup is gone...so make that backup multiply like rabbits until you feel that it is secure :p

sjs415 likes this.
  4. skilaufen

skilaufen Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 24, 2010
    Something
    Somewhere
    When you make a backup in clockwork do not leave any spaces in the backup name. Clockwork is funny about that and you won't be able to restore it if there are spaces.

sjs415 likes this.
  5. NYCHitman1

NYCHitman1 Gun for Hire
    None

Oct 16, 2009
    Male
    EUSA
    Long Island, NY
    I've been trying to root a friend's OG Droid which he received as a refurb from the insurance company after his screen cracked on his previous OG Droid. Technically, he's rooted but his bootloader is still locked. We can't flash any ROMs, themes, etc. I have tried almost everything included unroot and re-root again with both 1-click and manual methods.

I've tried reinstalling his recovery multiple times but still nothing. Anyone have any ideas what I can do from here?

6. tomato88

tomato88 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 13, 2010
    Male
    Grad student
    Northern VA
    I just tried Super One Click today, and am successfully running Cyanogenmod now after rooting on FRG83G. :)

7. tomato88

tomato88 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 13, 2010
    Male
    Grad student
    Northern VA
    Do you guys wipe Dilvek cache btw?