1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

root guide for a n00b

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Pulsss3, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Pulsss3

Pulsss3 Newbie

Hi, im new to the android os, have had a fair bit to do with iOS, but have since made a very happy transition and now own a Samsung Galaxy S2, i am interested in "rooting" my phone, but am completely confused about and having a hard time understanding the whole process, im not sure if im in the right section here or not, but i would greatly appreciate any help in figuring out what i need to do, thank you in advance! :)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Pulsss3

Pulsss3 Newbie

as a side note, i am also interested in overclocking my Galaxy S2 aswel.

3. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Android Expert

Look in the 'All things root' section of your phone's subforum. The info you need is there.

4. Pulsss3

Pulsss3 Newbie

im extremely confused about what to do or how to do it ?.?

5. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Android Expert

Like I said...there is a SG2 subforum, look in the 'All things root' section for the info you need. The SG2 is pretty fast, not sure there's really much to gain by overclocking.

Maybe I should add this...

Ask yourself what you need to do that actually requires root or if you just want to play with the phone. For most users it's probably the latter.

Android and hardware have come a long way. Storage space is usually adequate and a lot of customization is possible without root. For regular users there's just not as many things that require root as before. I haven't bothered to root my daily driver in a long time and nowadays usually recommend against it.

No offense to hard-working developers, but custom ROMs do vary some in terms of quality, stability, functionality and features. Rooting will void your warranty.

If you decide you really do need/want to root, look in the 'All Things Root' section of your phone's subforum. Plenty of info is available. Also, Google search is your friend. Do a LOT of reading. It's possible a mistake could 'brick' your phone (make it unusable). Make sure you understand why you're doing it, the exact steps required and all the terminology, and have a recovery plan and backups in case things go bad. Nobody likes to bail out a n00b just because he simply failed to do his homework first.

6. CDPlant

CDPlant Android Expert

Hi, i'll move this over to the GS2 root section :)

7. ironass

ironass Extreme Android User

8. Pulsss3

Pulsss3 Newbie

So i followed that guide, but im stuck at a point where after i used odin and flashed my phone, that it comes up with the screen with the yellow triangle on it..but it dusnt do anything after that, it wont boot up or anything. :/

9. ironass

Just a couple of questions...

1. What model of Samsung Galaxy S2 is your phone, i.e. GT-I9100 or GT-I9100T or I9100G or GT-I9100M?

2. What was your original kernel and which CF-Root kernel did you use to root?

10. Pulsss3

Pulsss3 Newbie

GT-I9100T
    3.0.15-I9100TDULPB-CL710191dpi@DELL154#3

and i used CF-Root-SGS2_XX_OXX_LPB-v5.2-CWM5
    i also used CF-Root-SGS2_XX_OXX_LPB-v5.2-CWM5-PROPER once aswel

i did it a few times coz i thought i had done something wrong..my binary count is at 4

11. Pulsss3

Pulsss3 Newbie

at this point in time i would also be interested in just trying to completely resotre my phone back to normal..if i am able to

12. ironass

The PROPER one should do the trick.

Can you boot into Recovery, (Volume UP+HOME (hard key)+Power... in that order and hold for a few seconds).

If you can get into Recovery, then select... wipe cache partition... and then.. advanced... Wipe Dalvik Cache... and then reboot.

13. Pulsss3

Pulsss3 Newbie

i end up with the boot screen with the yellow triangle, but nothing happens after it disappears, the screen goes black and thats it..thank you very much for your help, i may give it a try another time, but for now im over it lol

14. ironass

The phone has to be powered off before attempting to boot into Recovery.

15. Pulsss3

Pulsss3 Newbie

I do all of that and i still have the same problem, i get the screen with the yellow triangle..it wont go any further at all

16. ironass

You are holding all 3 keys for about 15+ sec's?

17. Pulsss3

Pulsss3 Newbie

Is there any way im able to just restore my phone back to stock from here?

18. Pulsss3

Pulsss3 Newbie

To get into recovery mode, yes i am

19. ironass

How odd!

The only way to revert back to your previous kernel is to flash the GT-I9100T, Vodafone, firmware from here using Odin as described in post #1, here under the heading, "My firmware is not eligible for ICS yet but I want it now!".

20. Pulsss3

Pulsss3 Newbie

I did try that using odin to revert back to my previous kernel, but it came up saying that it had failed

21. Hawker

Hawker Android Expert

So are you saying you can get into recovery/download mode now?

ironass likes this.

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews