• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Root Guide - Samsung Conquer 4G

s3ff3r

Lurker
Apr 8, 2011
**I do not take credit for this guide, I am just passing along the information!**

Here is a quick Guide to Rooting your Samsung Conquer 4G

1. Download Super One Click Root 2.3.1(below)
2. Extract the RAR to a location of your choice
3. On your phone click Menu, Settings, Application, Development and check USB Debugging.
4. Open SuperOneClick
5. Plug your phone in to the USB
6. Click Root and watch it do its thing

When it is done it should have installed SuperUser and you should now be rooted.

At this time there are no Roms or Recoverys so the only thing we benifit from is some apps and being able to remove some of the clutter.

Links
SuperOneClick 2.3.1

Will SuperOneClick unroot the Conquer as well? Haven't found an unroot guide for this phone yet; just covering my bases in case I need warranty service in the future.

Thanks
Well, I took the plunge and did this, and figured if it wouldn't un-root, I was hoping eventually it could be done, but to let you know, I successfully rooted and then un-rooted my Samsung Conquer 4G with Super-One-Click. I used v2.3.3, and can confirm it works both to root AND un-root the phone. Just curious why nobody has answered, or if it's considered a "dumb" question or something. Some people just haven't ever done this before, like me, but I am no idiot, that's for sure. :)

But YES, you CAN un-root your phone, at least I was able to ...

Reactions: ijroorda
Upvote 0
Well, I took the plunge and did this, and figured if it wouldn't un-root, I was hoping eventually it could be done, but to let you know, I successfully rooted and then un-rooted my Samsung Conquer 4G with Super-One-Click. I used v2.3.3, and can confirm it works both to root AND un-root the phone. Just curious why nobody has answered, or if it's considered a "dumb" question or something. Some people just haven't ever done this before, like me, but I am no idiot, that's for sure. :)

But YES, you CAN un-root your phone, at least I was able to ...

Thanks for the response, brienj. I work in IT, so this stuff doesn't scare me, but I am new to the Android world (recent iPhone convert). I figured I would rather ask dumb questions before I root than after.

I did get an answer on the Ting support forums as well; someone there confirmed that you can unroot the Samsung Conquer 4G with SuperOneClick, "so long as it's a newer version which has the zergRush exploit built in." Hopefully this thread is useful to someone else with the same question in the future.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the response, brienj. I work in IT, so this stuff doesn't scare me, but I am new to the Android world (recent iPhone convert). I figured I would rather ask dumb questions before I root than after.

I did get an answer on the Ting support forums as well; someone there confirmed that you can unroot the Samsung Conquer 4G with SuperOneClick, "so long as it's a newer version which has the zergRush exploit built in." Hopefully this thread is useful to someone else with the same question in the future.
I agree, everyone starts somewhere, and you have to ask the "dumb" questions sometimes.

I can't believe how simple it is to root and un-root. You just push the buttons in the program on your PC, and it does everything for you. I found a guide to manually do it as well, so I could see what it was doing. It's even pretty simple doing it the manual way.

The only problem I've found, and I hope to learn more, so I can figure out why it does it, is that I can only access the data folder using ddms, right after I root it. If I reboot the device, I can no longer access the data folder using ddms. I'm sure there is some service or something that needs to run as root, that is only running as root right after you root it with Super-One-Click. I hope to learn more on this.

Upvote 0
I am trying to root my Samsung Conquer 4G with SuperOneClick v2.3.3.0, but it keeps freezing up on me? No root, and I'm really not sure why. I've got my phone set to Debugging mode, as per the instructions, all the required software installed. I really don't know why it isn't working for me. :( Any ideas people?

This method does not work on the phones with the OTA update, or FC17 pre-installed. You must use the method in the thread I made here - http://androidforums.com/conquer-4g...install-root-samsung-conquer-fc17-update.html

Upvote 0
I am wondering why I can not root my Conquer 4G no matter what I try. I tried the latest release of S.O.C., GingerSnap, GingerBreak with no prevail.

Here are the specs of the phone:

Model #: SPH-D600
Android Version: 2.3.6
Baseband version: S:D600.12 x.FC17
Kernal Version: 2.6.35.7
Build # GINGERBREAK.FC17
Hardware Version: D600.12
PRL Version 60683

I plug the phone in via USB turn on both USB Mass Storage and Debug Mode, click Root and eventually the program stops responding or just sits at ...Exploit... forever.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Upvote 0
I am wondering why I can not root my Conquer 4G no matter what I try. I tried the latest release of S.O.C., GingerSnap, GingerBreak with no prevail.

Here are the specs of the phone:

Model #: SPH-D600
Android Version: 2.3.6
Baseband version: S:D600.12 x.FC17
Kernal Version: 2.6.35.7
Build # GINGERBREAK.FC17
Hardware Version: D600.12
PRL Version 60683

I plug the phone in via USB turn on both USB Mass Storage and Debug Mode, click Root and eventually the program stops responding or just sits at ...Exploit... forever.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
I guess you totally missed my post, eh?

Upvote 0
How do I tell If I have the OTA update that would prevent using OneClick. My phone is showing that my build is still GINGERBREAD.FE16, and I'm assuming this means I do not have the FC17 update. However, OneClick will not seem to work (it always gets hung on step 7). I just wanted to see if there was something I was missing before going the FC17/root route, as I would prefer the simplicity of OneClick.

Upvote 0
FE16 is the newest update, and this method of rooting was broke in the last update before FE16, which was FC17. As I keep saying, the ONLY way to get root is through the method I have posted here, or if you find someone else that has posted an Odin image with CWM. An Odin image with a CWM recovery is the ONLY way to get root, period, if you are on FC17 or newer firmware.

BTW, why should this thread be stickied, when the information is old and no longer works?

Upvote 0
FE16 is the newest update, and this method of rooting was broke in the last update before FE16, which was FC17. As I keep saying, the ONLY way to get root is through the method I have posted here, or if you find someone else that has posted an Odin image with CWM. An Odin image with a CWM recovery is the ONLY way to get root, period, if you are on FC17 or newer firmware.

BTW, why should this thread be stickied, when the information is old and no longer works?
Because it can be updated and this is one of the first places people are looking for answers...with this stickied we can start to get people interested in this phone...get them to ask questions..get this forum to come alive.
Theres about to be a bomb of new roms dropped on this phone and owners should be made aware of it...they have options and they need to know what they are.
would you like to help? lets get the mods involved...sticky this and get it updated..theres no need to go anywhere else for the samsung conquer..it all should start here!!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones