• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Root Guide Start To Finish (FI27/FL24/GB27)/Recovery How To

Oh no its perfectly fine, everyone has to start somewhere :)

You'll need to flash the gb27 modem *after* you flash the gb27 based rom.

Keep in mind though, if you go to a jelly bean rom that's 4.2+, you'll need an ics modem (FI27/FL24)

Otherwise you won't have any working data.

So as of right now, if you flashed PACman (4.2.2), there would be no need to flash a particular modem since your on FL24.

Now if you wanted an official jb touchwiz rom, that's when you would need to flash a jb modem.

Upvote 0
Been awhile since I've done any rooting, but its time i tweeked this e4gt. I have few questions, if you would please advise me.
Main enigma I have? Upgrade to GB27 or stay on FL24 b4 I root?
Issues with phone:
* Is the GB27 modem more reliable? #1 priority is signal, since S.FLA. pushed LTE = 8months of degrading Boost towers & 6 with Epics less than epic reception.
(yes ##data# tweaks helped a bit)
* Do GB27 / Roms seem more stable? 3 epic owners i kno in this area have a random shut down bug.
Os concerns :
* Is GB27 worth the loss of asop roms? Google now, quick apps lock screen & app drawer etc look nice, but i want try PacMan & CM10. I realize i can use nova for the asop feel (i keep tw launcher off in FL24) but are there any tw roms as customizable & smooth as those two?
Settings & apps...
* Is there a way i can i force specific apps to write user data to the external sd card? Have a very important buisness app (mobile biz) will i have to TB / FS file / or cloud backup constantly to protect my buisness files? Unfortunately i own Rom Manager, but have read it is poison on this phone.
Sorry if i'm asking redundant questions, I have read many guides, topics & posts here, but I'm 40 with a wife & kids... Have pity many topics here are over 30pgs deep. Lol

Thank you to all the tech gurus here. Especially any that have read all this & have some advice :D

Upvote 0
Unfortunately I can't help as far as answering your question with the signal concern as I don't own my epic touch anymore.

Hopefully someone can chime in for you on that subject.

As far as aosp goes however, even if you upgrade to GB27, you still don't lose out on any aosp roms. All you would need to download is flash an ICS modem (FI27 of FL24) to have properly working data.

I'm not sure I understand your question about writing data to the sd card for apps, sorry :D perhaps you mean having the apps on the sd card itself? If so, then link2sd would be your best friend.

Rom manager.....

Don't touch and delete.

It's already risky enough using it to flash roms from, but you need to use pc odin or mobile Odin to flash a recovery onto the epic.

Otherwise, don't think about using RM

Lastly

Can't learn without asking questions :)

Hope I was able to answer most of yours.

Cheers

Reactions: copperwerewolf
Upvote 0
Glad to hear asop is still an option. The 1click modems & "rogerwillco's" app look amazing.
Btw if I try "Sprint" modems on Boost would the prl be an issue?
(May look into prls & nid/sid settings as well, tower priority would be an awesome tweak)
In the days b4 legit droids on boost everything i read about modems & prls involved heavy CdmaWS & Qpst ((scary)) lol. Hopefully its easier now.
I heard apps2sd may possibly fubar your sd, thanks to the recent code push toward (internal/cloud) :what: ( secure data is naughty) hate that iOS style crap lol.
I'll try the one you suggest thank you. I was gonna try moving the user data files (not app) & hope that it would still write to them.
**Thanks for the so much for the help, just glad to know i wont paint myself into os or data corner :cool:

Upvote 0
Really? I had read everything except mms settings on these phones were compatable (roms, roots, radios)?
Obviously, I don't mean to try for a roaming prl exploit, just tower priority. I'm on FL24 now... (which is used by both?) but kees wanted to put me on GC01 last night... I backed out, figured there is alot less development for that one.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones