• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Root guide

Go to menu/settings/about phone. Scroll down to "baseband" and let us know weather you have a ZV4, ZV5, or ZV9.
If you have a ZV4 or ZV5 then you can use the Gingerbreak.apk to root.
Then you will need to go to the PlayStore and update the Superuser app.
Go to the "All Things Root Guide" sticky. Go to the first guide under "Guides" section to accomplish all the above aforementioned.
When done go to the guide: "How to Install a flash_image; flash a recovery, ROM, and Theme".
You want to install the Zen Garden recovery and the latest MiRaGe ROM.
When done go to the guide: "Link2SD: A Tutorial-New and Updated".
Feel free to ask questions prior to doing anything. Read, Read again, then ask questions.

Reactions: badblue1
Upvote 0
Need help gaining more storage on my LG Optimus V phone, forum suggested all things root in order to root my phone. Just need some help with that. Not very phone savvy.

Welcome to the forum krpedersen, all the information you will need can be found here : http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-all-things-root/453389-optimus-v-all-things-root-guide-updated-03-11-13-a.html
The first thing you need to do is go to settings >about phone >baseband version, it should be zv4 or zv5 if it's one of those you will need the gingerbreak apk found in the guide. This will give root access to your phone.
NOTE : gingerbreak doesn't always work on the first try, it could take 5 or more tries. If it doesn't work on the first try after 10 minutes pull your battery and put it back in, this will reboot the phone. You will have to repeat that process until it does work.

Once you are rooted go to this guide :
http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-all-things-root/697813-how-install-flash_image-flash-recovery-rom-theme.html
Follow this guide to the letter and you should not have any problems, this is absolutely the best guide when you are learning how to flash a recovery and rom. Read the guide a few times to familiarize yourself with it. If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask!

NOTE : Right now the zengarden or cot recovery are the best for our phone.
The best and most stable rom for our phone is the MiRaGe rom by mrg666.

Good luck.

Reactions: AndyOpie150
Upvote 0
I find the easiest and surest way to rooting an OV nowadays is with the jcase Gordita method--regardless of the baseband version (ZV4/5/9) and screen type (Novatek/Hitachi). I'd rooted my OV (stock ZV4) with Gingerbreak two years ago. However, when I got a spare OV (stock ZV5) recently, Gingerbreak just won't work on this OV. Using the jcase Gordita method, it rooted that OV simply on first attempt without any problem. Just follow the directions in the following Guide--skipping Stage 1 (Steps 1-9 for updating to ZV9):

http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-all-things-root/563443-guide-how-flash-zv9-update-step-step.html

Read, read, & READ, understand each of the steps in that guide before starting...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones