• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROOT] How to root the Samsung Illusion/Proclaim

derekr44

Feb 2, 2013
This is taken directly from the guide on ACSyndicate:
[ACS] Root For the Samsung Illusion - Proclaim

Shabbypenguin and the Android Creative Syndicate have teamed up with UnleashedPrepaids to bring root to your Samsung Illusion and Proclaim.

This will root both the Samung Illusion on Verizon and the Proclaim on Straight Talk.

Youll need to download this app onto your phone: Superuser

You'll need to grab the following files for your computer:

Stock Kernel
Pre-rooted Kernel
Odin
Drivers

1. If you need to install the drivers then do so first (Windows)
2. Extract Odin and launch the program.
3. Load the pre-rooted kernel into the PDA slot.
4. Put your phone into download mode by powering on the device while holding volume down
5. Connect the phone and watch for the yellow com port in Odin.
6. Click start and wait for the device to reboot

Congrats you are now rooted! However, due to a bug there is no wifi/cell service on the rooted ROM, so you will need to reflash the stock kernel listed above following the same instructions to restore your wifi/cell service (with root)

Credits:
ShabbyPenguin
Megaman
Playfulgod
djgru

I just did this. I followed the steps as laid out. I was nervous about ruining my phone, but everything appears to be functioning properly. The reason I chose to root my phone is to get rid of the bloatware (google plus, accu weather, google messenger, email, all share, talk [hangouts], music [google play], play books) that is always running and updating in the background.

The process goes quickly. Just be sure to follow it step by step.

My CPU would often spike to 100% every few seconds. Now, after disabling these apps it runs at a steady 38% CPU. To disable them I downloaded "RootAppDelete" for free from the play store.

I cannot, however, figure out how to permanently delete these apps. I would love to no longer see the google play app on my phone, but will settle with it finally being disabled.

If anyone has any info on removing these apps permanently, please let me know.

******New Developments***** I just found a tiny hurdle. I have an aftermarket Extended battery. It will not charge in the phone. The original Samsung battery will, but this battery won't. It still powers the phone, but will not accept a charge through the phone. No biggie. I'll just have to charge it with the wall charger, and have an extra battery. Now that these bloatware apps are disabled, I expect to be using much less battery anyway, so the factory battery should be fine.

Upvote 0
After restarting the phone (after disabling the "bloatware", the apps did disappear). :)

Even with not much running, battery still drains quickly. The factory samsung battery just flat out sucks. So, I will be putting in my Extended Life battery afterall. I just need to figure out how to charge the battery while it's in the phone (for convenience).

If you like punk and metal music, you can stream a lot of Local Detroit and Toledo groups on my site www.defunctpunk.com . Just thought I'd mention it.

Upvote 0
Hello and welcome to the forums . You ask how to get those unwanted apks out of your site . Can i say this please make sure those apks you want to be gone is not system apks . But you can use this apk cause you can freeze or delete from your system . Its very user friendly also check it out for yourself ,post back if any problems

com.anttek.am.apk

Reactions: brah
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones