• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Root htc evo 4g 2.3.5 question

that's fine. i would move that one from the card and keep it safe on your computer and maybe on the cloud, just in case you loose your wimax keys. there is a small possibility that you could loose them flashing roms and radios. if you loose them then you will loose your 4g signal for good. there is no way to get them back unless you have a nandroid backup with wimax backed up.

Upvote 0
it is found in the nandroid folder. inside the folder will be another folder that is unique to your phone. mine is named HT0CVHL01139. your nandroid backup will be named something like BDES-20120323-0530.

and just an fyi, i have this info in the guide. it is in the second post under nandroid. i would highly recommend that you read the second post as it has tons of info.

Upvote 0
I have unsuccessfully tried all three of the suggested recovery install procedures, and even the undocumented 4th. To the extent the procedures require that I place the PC36IMG file in the sd home directory, the phone sees the file and tries to load it however after loading and checking it, the phone goes back to the bootloader screen and never gives me the opportunity to update.

The android flasher method just hangs on the flashing screen and doesn't progress.

Any suggestions?

Upvote 0
I have unsuccessfully tried all three of the suggested recovery install procedures, and even the undocumented 4th. To the extent the procedures require that I place the PC36IMG file in the sd home directory, the phone sees the file and tries to load it however after loading and checking it, the phone goes back to the bootloader screen and never gives me the opportunity to update.

The android flasher method just hangs on the flashing screen and doesn't progress.

Any suggestions?
When you do the PC36IMG method, do you recall what bootloader screen says at the end or is it too quick to read...as in, says failed, or no image, or something else?
Also, just re-iterating the guide, naming PC36IMG.zip like that, not with 2 .zip's at the end.?
btw...WElcome to AF!!!!

Upvote 0
I have double checked to make sure it is named correctly and I also assume that if it were not named correctly bootloader wouldn't try to load it, and then checkit after loading. In addition I actually went back to stock cause I thought I was going to have to return the phone to Sprint and in doing this I followed a similar procedure with the bootloader with other files and they worked.

The script passes quite rapidly. It stays at "checking" for a moment and then it just goes right back to the initial screen seemingly without further comment. I don't think there is any message about failing or no image.

THanks for the welcome and thanks in advance for the help.

When you do the PC36IMG method, do you recall what bootloader screen says at the end or is it too quick to read...as in, says failed, or no image, or something else?
Also, just re-iterating the guide, naming PC36IMG.zip like that, not with 2 .zip's at the end.?
btw...WElcome to AF!!!!

Upvote 0
I have double checked to make sure it is named correctly and I also assume that if it were not named correctly bootloader wouldn't try to load it, and then checkit after loading. In addition I actually went back to stock cause I thought I was going to have to return the phone to Sprint and in doing this I followed a similar procedure with the bootloader with other files and they worked.

The script passes quite rapidly. It stays at "checking" for a moment and then it just goes right back to the initial screen seemingly without further comment. I don't think there is any message about failing or no image.

THanks for the welcome and thanks in advance for the help.
So, before you had the recovery install issue, were you successful in unlocking your bootloader I assume?
Now that you are back to stock, is your bootloader locked again?

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I was previously rooted and had a custom rom. When I went back to stock I also turned S back on. That is the current state. Right now I have no recovery mode. When I try to use recovery from the bootloader menu I get the droid logo with the !

Gotcha....are you looking to re-root or are you bringing your phone back to Sprint store?
If you are looking to root, just post what it says in your bootloader screen.:)
And what software version are you on? 4.xxx or 5.xxx?

Edit: oh yeah, and what ocn asked, what size sd card do you have?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones