1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Root I897 on 2.3.5

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by lotsip81, Apr 24, 2012.

1. morkhest

morkhest Newbie

actually i was wondering i think is easier to root the phone this way with super one click right? i really don't mind i just want to delete the stock apps.

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

If I may be so bold, here's what I'd recommend.

Root the phone using any method that works for you and includes custom recovery. What I did was update to the latest official version using kies mini (US only). and then rooted with the corn kernel. The method is outlined in the root guide here.

It installs CWM recovery. From there I flashed the latest stable version of Cyanogen ... CM10 I think is still the latest stable version for the Captivate, but you can check with Cyanogen directly. You'll also need gapps, but that's all outlined in the Cyanogen install instructions. This will give you Android version 4.1.2.

It will make your Captivate feel like a brand new and current (almost) phone.

3. morkhest

morkhest Newbie

Yeah i was gonna say that i keep on trying 2.1, ohhh god is horrible lol, but thanks i just have to follow the guide to have 4.1.2 and them i can get it rooted right? Im sorry im becoming such a pain in the ass really haha.

4. lunatic59

No problem. Keep the questions coming. We're all here to help.

For the record, if you follow the method I outlined, as soon as you flash the corn kernel, you will be rooted. The rest happens after root. I should warn you that this should only be used if you plan on flashing a custom rom or different kernel. There is an issue with the corn kernel that can disable wifi connections, so it's only to gain root before you move on.

5. morkhest

morkhest Newbie

Right now im doing the kies mini update so i guest is gonna update to 2.3.5 gingerbread, after that is done, how i root it? because i tried a guide for rooting the captivate on 2.3.5 and that's how it got bricked before.

6. lunatic59

Did you try the link I provided? or was there a different method?

7. morkhest

morkhest Newbie

Well i did the gingerbread 2.3.5 update with kies mini. Right now im unrooted so what would be next to root the phone?

8. lunatic59

morkhest likes this.
  9. morkhest

morkhest Newbie

10. morkhest

morkhest Newbie

ok i did it the way you told me :) thanks

11. morkhest

morkhest Newbie

nevermind i forgot to read the rest hahaha silly me.

12. morkhest

morkhest Newbie

Ok now im rooted, thanks a lot man.

13. lunatic59

Great! :D

Sorry I missed your posts, but I have a couple of new puppies in the house and they are quite demanding.

14. morkhest

morkhest Newbie

No Problems man :), thanks a lot, now im gonna try to update to 4.2.2.

15. morkhest

morkhest Newbie

Back Again and sorry, seems im a troublesome guy but this happened: so i installed CMD 10 in my captivate sgh 1897 some months ago,everything working perfect, and since a week or so my cat bit the charger i managed to power up with my fiancee charger and it wasn't reading my t-mobile sim card anymore, they told me to delete my efs folder and reboot and that would fix the problem, it didn't work of course, cmupdater was asking for some updates i did them to see if that would fix something, it didn't work, any tips?

16. lunatic59

Try booting without the Sim card inserted. Then replace the card and reboot. It could be the Sim went bad and needs to be replaced.

17. butterfly

butterfly Newbie

Mr. Lunatic59,

I have a samsung galaxy captivate running 2.3.5 Gingerbread and I'm currently using it overseas. I cannot read the Arabic letters on it, for some reason they are showing them disconnected so its just one letter after another instead of being connected to form words and it makes it hard to read. Do you know a way to fix this? I read it would help to update the phone to version to the newest one, and that it would fix this issue. I know there is a process, like rooting, etc, etc, and I have no clue where to begin. I really don't want to mess up my phone as I just got it after my other phone broke on me, and I've been reading through this thread and its obvious that you know your stuff, so I made an account just to seek your help :)

18. lunatic59

The Captivate is considered a legacy phone now. While it is a perfectly capable device, support has stopped from Samsung with Gingerbread. I don't remember it ever supporting Arabic natively, although I may be mistaken.

I have a couple of questions.

Did your phone every display Arabic correctly? If so, had anything changed recently?

Rooting and flashing the Captivate isn't difficult but there are a good number of steps and if you aren't' comfortable doing it, it can be a little intimidating. The other thing is to find a proper Android rom in the version you want that supports all the features you need ... specifically Arabic.

butterfly likes this.
  19. butterfly

butterfly Newbie

No, it never read it correctly, the letters were always separated and when I searched this online I saw that others were having the same issue.

While awaiting your reply I started researching on how I can do this and so far I have rooted the phone and started following these steps:

Download the following

1.[Firmware Download] CM10.2 Android 4.3 JB Firmware.

2. [Google Apps download] Google Apps on your Laptop/PC.
    Part Two- (Final Steps of Upgrade for Captivate SGH-I897)

Download the above file into PC and Please don

20. lunatic59

Those instructions are pretty much the right steps but some incorrect terminology. Not to worry, you don't boot into "debugging mode" you boot into recovery, which is where you are getting stuck.

Let's go back a step or two. First, you rooted your phone and installed custom recovery. That's pretty clear. When you downloaded the files you need to flash, you first saved them to your PC as .zip files and then you copied those files to your phone.

Here's where we need to figure out where you copied them to. Step by step let me know how and where you copied the files to. For Example...

Plugged in USB cable from phone to PC and turned on storage mode. When file window on PC opened, copied files to ... (folder name).

If you had an external Micro SD card in your phone at the time it may have copied them there. My recommendation is to remove both the SD card (if you had one) and the sim card. Then reboot the phone and recopy the files to your phone. They should be in the rood of your /sdcard partition. When you enable storage, the pc will assign the storage partition a device letter like "K:" depending on how many other devices are connected at the time. This should be the root of the /sdcard partition, so just drag the files to "K:" (or whatever the letter is in your case).

Then follow the steps as stated to install .zip file from SD. If you can't see them you might need to move up or down a directory. that's done by selecting the two dots ".." or scrolling depending which way you want to go.

butterfly likes this.
  21. butterfly

butterfly Newbie

Yes, I copied them to my SD card on my phone. I thought I was suppose to put them on the SD card so that's what I did. I copied them into a folder that I made for them called "Samsung Captivate Firmware" I believe.

I'm going to remove the SD card (sim was already removed) right now and try this and I'll let you know how it goes...

22. butterfly

butterfly Newbie

Okay, so it seems that this was definitely the problem, since I now see the files only now it says, "...no space left on device"

Does this mean I need to delete/move some files from the internal memory?

EDIT: I just connected the phone to my laptop and I see that it has over 11GB of free space. I don't know what that error was all about, and it aborted the installation and rebooted the phone.

23. lunatic59

This is important. If you have any files saved on the phone now, you MUST back them up before you flash the firmware. If you don't you will lose them. JB firmware uses a different partition model and will rebuild them, wiping out everything you've got now.

A factory reset simply removes the user data from the system folders and doesn't delete stored files, so even if you did reset the phone and wiped the cache, you could still have limited space.

Try this to free up space ... first backup all the files you don't want to lose then format the sd partition (No the SD card). I don't recall what it was called exactly, but you should be able to find it in menu>settings>storage. Once the format is complete you should have 10 ~ 12 GB free.

24. lunatic59

You should install the CM10.2 rom first. This should install it's own kernel and repartition everything.

butterfly likes this.
  25. butterfly

butterfly Newbie

Okay, I just formatted it, I believe it was the option to "Format USB Storage". It now says: USB Storage - Total space: 13.3GB Available space: 13.3GB

System Storage - Available space: 1.78GB

I will try to do it again now

Samsung Captivate Forum

The Samsung Captivate release date was July 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 512GB RAM, Hummingbird processor, and 1500mAh battery.

July 2010
Release Date
Reviews