1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Root I897 on 2.3.5

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by lotsip81, Apr 24, 2012.

1. butterfly

butterfly Newbie

I got the same error again. This is what it says:

Install /sdcard/external_sd ...
    then in red letters: E: Short write of /tmp/sideload/package.zip (No space left on device)
    Installation aborted.

Perhaps the firmware is faulty? I had downloaded the most up to date one from here: CyanogenMod Downloads

and now I see there has been a new one added just a while ago. Should I download it?

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

butterfly likes this.
  3. butterfly

butterfly Newbie

So I keep everything the way it is and just download 10.1 and continue with the same steps?

I appreciate all your help and I will go back and "thank" you for every post :)

4. lunatic59

Yes, just download the stable rom and apply it as described (install .zip from sd).

Once you get it installed, then you can thank me. ;)

EDIT: One other thought on the insufficient space warning ... when you are in recovery, go to advanced and select wipe Dalvik Cache.

butterfly likes this.
  5. butterfly

butterfly Newbie

Everything was going well for a few seconds and then all of a sudden another error. It was verifying update package and then it said:

E: failed to verify whole-file signature
    E: signature verification failed
    Installation aborted.

I tried it again and same error :/

And I don't see any "advanced" option anywhere.

6. lunatic59

Hmmm. just to be sure, you are rooted and do have a custom recovery installed? does it look like this?

[​IMG]

You might have a corrupt download. Try downloading it again.

butterfly likes this.
  7. butterfly

butterfly Newbie

No, I dont have a custom recovery and it doesnt look like that. I never downloaded the clockworkmod kernel, I didnt know where to get it from if thats what your referring to.

8. lunatic59

Well there you go. I don't think you will be able to use stock recovery to flash a custom rom. What you will need to do is push a new kernel with custom recovery to your phone using Odin.

Try this

Don't worry about random reboots and incompatibilities because all you're really interested in is getting the CWM custom recovery installed. Once you do that, then you can flash CM10 which will install it's own kernel.

butterfly likes this.
  9. Maureen1987

Maureen1987 Lurker

Hi, am Maureen and am new here. I just got to knw of android rooting today so I don't knw anything concerning it. So plz if u wouldn't mind, I ll like a step by step explaination on how to root my phone. I ll be glad if I get a patient person to put me through. Thanks.

10. lunatic59

The first thing we need to know is what kind of phone you have so we can get you to the right section. While rooting is a universal concept for Android the procedures to achieve root can be very different depending on make and model of the device.

11. butterfly

butterfly Newbie

Okay, I will follow these instructions.

I wanted to ask you what is the difference between the nightly firmwares, i.e. the 10.2, and the 10.1? Seeing that this may work out when I download the cwm, I thought I'd ask you about the 2 firmwares before I install one of them. Isnt the 10.2 for the latest android firmware?

12. lunatic59

CM (Cyenogen) is not an official Google release. It is a widely popular open adaptation of the Android OS that has been developed for many devices. Development is continuous. For this reason they have opted to release nightly builds for testing and review. These should be considered "beta" versions and not for everyday use. The most up to date safe release will be the stable version, which for the captivate is 10.1.3.

I have 10.1.2 on a Captivate that is sitting next to me so I will update it to 10.1.3 and let you know the specifics.

butterfly likes this.
  13. butterfly

butterfly Newbie

I believe it worked. I followed the instructions and now it is telling me to pick my language, insert my sim card and make a new cynogen account.

Is there anything I need to know in terms of what to do or NOT do so I don't mess up the phone, or any advice? Like how does one lose their root and if its lost do I also lose everything I just did?

Thank you! :)

14. lunatic59

Yep, that sounds exactly right. :) Make sure you flash the proper version of gapps for 4.2.2 or you might see some errors. I tried a version of gapps for 4.1.2 and it didn't work.

The only way you'd lose root now is if you restored a purely stock rom image using Odin in order to return it to the out-of-box state. Since the warranty has long expired on these phones there really shouldn't ever be a need to do that.

What you should do is, once you sign in to the device and get your apps setup for mail, messaging, etc. then you should do a nandroid backup. Shut off the phone and boot into recovery. You should see the option to backup and restore. This backup makes a complete system image at the state your phone is in including apps, data and settings. Should anything ever go wrong you can easily return it this state in a matter of minutes. I usually make a nandroid periodically and copy the files off the phone just in case.

Of course I am an IT manager and see system failure everywhere (I guess you could call me a technochondriac ;) ) so I tend to be overly cautious.

butterfly likes this.
  15. butterfly

butterfly Newbie

I did install the gapps but I dont know what version it was. How can I find that out or where can I locate it? I don't even know what it is for.

I will finish downloading my apps and adding contacts, etc, and then I will do the backup, thanks for the tip :) now I just need to change this theme, hhh

P.S. The Arabic is showing up perfectly! Thank God :)

16. lunatic59

17. butterfly

butterfly Newbie

I found it. Is it a must to install it? And do I have to delete everything all over again when Im in recovery mode, or can I just install it and reboot?

Thank you

18. lunatic59

without it you wont have google service like the play store or maps. You don't have to wipe everything. Just flash gapps and it will add them to CM10.

19. butterfly

butterfly Newbie

I do have the play store and the google features installed like email, etc... I guess the version I flashed onto it may have worked

20. butterfly

butterfly Newbie

I dont have the "market" however, not sure if there is even a difference

21. lunatic59

The play store is the market.

butterfly likes this.
  22. butterfly

butterfly Newbie

Okay. Once again, thanks for your support. I really appreciate it.

23. lunatic59

That's what we're here for. :D

Good luck and let me know if you need anything else.

24. ameenemad

ameenemad Lurker

I damig my Samsung SGH I897 by odin
    I need to know how to root a Samsung SGH I897
    plz help me

25. lunatic59

If you read back through this thread, the instructions are all here or linked. Let me know what specifically you don't understand and I'll try to walk you through it.

Samsung Captivate Forum

The Samsung Captivate release date was July 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 512GB RAM, Hummingbird processor, and 1500mAh battery.

July 2010
Release Date
Reviews