• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Root me baby one more time

got it working on another thread by a guy with a username triple H
now i click start
i get
Download Start...
<0> Create File...
<1> StartThread Detected : 1
<2> StartThread Detected : 0
<3> StartThread Detected : 0
<4> StartThread Detected : 0
<5> StartThread Detected : 0
<6> StartThread Detected : 0
<7> StartThread Detected : 0
<8> StartThread Detected : 0
<1> setup connection...

Its not doing anythinG -_-
+it says PDA = i5700_LK2-08_PDA.tar

Upvote 0
Ok i rooted got a pass on odin
Now iget the custom samdroid boot logo and i should add it looks SICK
now how do i go into the root of the phone and how do i add live wallpaper
and i diid not do apps2SD cause i only have 2gb card and thats all for my music i only have like 50 mb left and i'd rather have it on my internal right now
also my phone did not boot into recovery mode

Upvote 0
@Beerkan: I would also like to mention that mine didn't automatically reboot into recovery either. I had to go in and manually do it. Also the first time I booted from there I ended up with problems with my Apps2SD (namely that they were installing but not actually able to open - FC on everything) and so I had to reboot into recovery once more to clear the caches. Then everything worked just fine.

When you're using this firmware (JF2) are you getting four rows of icons but only able to put in two rows of widgets? I've come across this "problem" in a few firmwares and it drives me a little nutty. I'm hoping its not just me...The actual Samdroid one had the widgets lining up with the icons (instead of in the middle) so I'm not sure what's going on.

Upvote 0
Hello Beerkan !
First I would like to thank ou for this beautiful tutorial !!!
Now.... I have one problem with this : I have only rooted my Spica because I already had installed 2.1 eclair on it, I created a 1Gb partition on the sd card after rooting and I began to install programs and games on my Spica because now i have 1GB free space .

One problem dough : my phone's memory seems to get ocupied as install more apps; not in the amount that the apps would ocupy normally but still quite alot (about 80 % in 44 apps right now ).

Question1: How can I see how apps ocupy their space in the phone or SD card partition? Is there an app to manage this on rooted phones ( I don't know very much linux ) ?

Q2 : What do you think is happenning and how do you propose i fix this ? I mean I want to use all the 1GB partition i've created for installs and at the rate the phone's memory is filling up I don't think I can .

Thx in advance for your help !

Upvote 0
Ok i rooted got a pass on odin
Now iget the custom samdroid boot logo and i should add it looks SICK
now how do i go into the root of the phone and how do i add live wallpaper
and i diid not do apps2SD cause i only have 2gb card and thats all for my music i only have like 50 mb left and i'd rather have it on my internal right now
also my phone did not boot into recovery mode
You don't need to set up a 1GB partition to store Apps on the SD card. The options are from 256MB to 1GB. So choose the size that fits your needs. Remember, without Apps2SD the default space is only 140Mb, so evem 256mb provides you more.

You can enter Recovery mode manually,
Power off phone, and press and hold
"Vol Down + Call + Power ON."

From here set up your SD card as you need.

Upvote 0
I have been using I570EXXJE4, what does I570EXXJF2 bring to the table?

Is there a comparative list of features?
The biggest leap, (as far as speed compatibility and stability are concerned) was when Firmware JD1 was released. All firmwares since that, really only offer incremental updates and improvements.

Note: Even the latest JG2 firmware update still uses the older JD1 phone build.
For example, the latest firmare I570EXXJG2 contains the update files:-

I570EOXEJF1-CSC-MULTI-CL403683.tar
I570EXXJD1_Phone.tar
I570EXXJF1_CL324368_Bootloader.tar
I570EXXJG2_CL449301_PDA.tar

To check out your settings,

See
Menu
Settings
About Phone
If your Baseband Version is still I570EXXJD1, then you're pretty much upto date.

However, if you want the latest and greatest, then update your phone. But if you're on Baseband I570EXXJD1, and have no problems, you can wait for a stable 2.2. update. (if it ever comes.)

In my opinion, the biggest improvement you can go for, after you update to JD1 or later, is to install Samdroid TurboLibs V4. (without JIT)

But then that might just bring another set of instabilities you will have to work around, depending on which apps you use.

So far updating and improving your phone, is matter of compromise.
You test, you change, you adapt and finally you accept. Your phone might rock on most apps, but there might be 1 or 2 that don't run.

Now if these updates were written and approved by Samsung then it would be a different story. But they ain't. They'd rather you traded in and got a later phone. Of course the app itself might be to blame.

Anyway, in my opinion, we should be grateful we still have options.

Reactions: gontofe
Upvote 0
@Beerkan: I would also like to mention that mine didn't automatically reboot into recovery either. I had to go in and manually do it. Also the first time I booted from there I ended up with problems with my Apps2SD (namely that they were installing but not actually able to open - FC on everything) and so I had to reboot into recovery once more to clear the caches. Then everything worked just fine....
I think these problems may have beed caused when you use the root option, having already uopdated to a 2.1 firmware. If you have a any Apps installed and then try to root your phone, Apps2SD doesn't know about them, and this causes mayhem. Although this is mentioned in the LK2.08 thread I refer to, I did not include this fix in my root guide.

The solution, in these circumstances, and as you point out, is to first clear the cache and dalvik-cache from Recovery Screen.

I'll update the Root guide to reflect this.

Many thanks.

Upvote 0
... Q2 : What do you think is happenning and how do you propose i fix this ? I mean I want to use all the 1GB partition i've created for installs and at the rate the phone's memory is filling up I don't think I can .

Thx in advance for your help !
I kinda missed this potential conflict, as in reality your phone can work quite happily with some Apps installed in internal memory, and others installed on the SD.

If you REALLY want to get the best from this update, I'd backup everything I needed to PC and Gmail etc, do a factory reset, install the latest firmware update, then immediately root the phone.

After I'd formatted my SD, I'd check the phone was ok, then re-install all my settings and Apps again from scratch. Tough decision, but you did ask my suggestion. Hence why I include a link on how to backup your stuff in the orginal post.

However, if you've got this far, you're used to updating. AND you clearly want the best from your phone. Therefore, it should be no problem to you.

Until your current contact expires, you put your Galaxy Spica on ebay, and upgrade to the Galaxy S.

What'ya gonna do?

Reactions: karfeef
Upvote 0
hey i did everything and it works, the only thing is i didnt get the recovery screen after rooting it, so i dont think i setup app2sd properly. shall i try flashing again?

Hi, I don't think you need to flash again. You just turn the phone off, enter recovery mode manually by pressing : Vol Down + Call + Power On. From there, you can create a partition on your SD card for Apps2SD.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones