1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Root? New Phone? Wait? What To Do???

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by oldman, Apr 19, 2012.

1. oldman

oldman Newbie

I read a gazillion posts here and elsewhere and will ask for recommendations...

First:
    I have a new GS2 AT&T (SGH-i777) and my 30 day's is over on 5/10/12. I'm an Android app programmer and 'sort of' comfortable rooting and whatnot... But, the phone has Gingerbread 2.3.6 and I see far too many folks with all sorts of problems after rooting (especially wifi and Calling).

For me, it's really just a phone and test-bed for app's. Seldom use data and maps, and don't do messaging or emails. Seldom do internet. Of course, that all may change so I don't want to loose the functionality ;)

I see a clutter of confusion on what and how to do this without headaches so, I'm hesitant to jump in without some clarity and higher success rate...

My Goal:
    I simply want to either remove or disable the bloat-ware. That's all. I don't need ICS but, would like it if getting there is painless.

Word on the street suggests AT&T will push out ICS early May but not clear if my device will be included. So, I'm mulling over the following and I appreciate your input - thanks:

1. Wait to see if ICS makes it to my device and return it if it doesn't (by end of 30 day's)?
    2. If return - get the Skyrocket (if it get's ICS)?
    3. Return it just to extend the 30 day's until ICS is released? (yeah, I know about the re-stock fee and about the HTC One due out from AT&T on My 6. I had an HTC and didn't like it).
    4. Root now and return by end of 30 day's if I have problems - will they take it back for a return and upgrade if rooted?
    5. How to root it (again, I don't care about custom ROM's, just now, anyway). Zedomax and SuperOneclick seem to have problems with this device and 2.3.6 (though I know several have had success, I don't want to spend day's fixing it)...
    No question that I'd root if no issues but, I use a Mac and, though I can run Windows on it (via VMWare), the hiemdall didn't work for me (I tried it but it errors - same error others have)...

Thanks for any advice.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. j510

j510 Member

Either way both sgs2 variants are getting ics officially. Leaks have been released, but where didyou hear this "word on the street" about a may release? Curious

3. oldman

oldman Newbie

Can't say exactly where I heard it - far too many guesses/posts and blogs/news articles about it. Even Samsung Korea just retracted their 4/12/12 release statement... Count on nothing[​IMG]

Here's a reasonably up-to-date list/site (USA at bottom in pending update as of this moment):
    Samsung Galaxy S II Android ICS 4.0.3 Countries Release Status Page [Continuous Updating] | Josephws'sBlog | YouMobile

4. 375thRanger

375thRanger Lurker

5. oldman

oldman Newbie

6. 375thRanger

375thRanger Lurker

All info is there. Clear and easy to do. You will be able flash anything(but school girls) to your hearts content. Then flash Fox Hound when done...and you will be amazed.:D

Stomp Em Drink Em

7. leo9891

leo9891 Member

Is Fox Hound really that good? I was thinking of trying that ROM but I didn't. Maybe ill give it a shot.

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews