• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Root? No?

It took about 2 minutes to load the PB00IMG.zip then a minute to check it and then it took me to the regular HBOOT screen. It had 4 options. And
<Volume Up> Previous
<Volume Down> Next
<Power> Select

I used 3 PB00IMG.zips so far, not sure if theyre different, I used 2 from the 4fuzz.net and one from xda.

Upvote 0
It took about 2 minutes to load the PB00IMG.zip then a minute to check it and then it took me to the regular HBOOT screen. It had 4 options. And
<Volume Up> Previous
<Volume Down> Next
<Power> Select

There must have been something else on the screen besides that - those are just instructions on which keys to use to navigate. But don't worry about that for the moment.

Just curious, have you looked at this thread with example pictures to see what the screens look like that you should be expecting to see?

There are three possible outcomes trying to load a PB00IMG.ZIP file that you could experience:

(1) The "Checking" step succeeds, meaning that the .zip file is "intact", but this then is followed by a "Main version is older!" message.

(2) The "Checking" step succeeds, meaning that the .zip file is "intact", and it also passes version checks, so a screen similar to this one appears:

3_pb_readyask00.jpg

(3) The third alternative is that the file does not even unpack correctly - meaning that it was corrupted or truncated somehow when it was transferred to your SD card. The HBOOT just gives up at that point, and drops you into a menu.

This third alternative seems to be what happened to you - apparently, three times, given your comment below about trying three different zip files.

I used 3 PB00IMG.zips so far, not sure if theyre different, I used 2 from the 4fuzz.net and one from xda.

[SIZE=+3]STOP[/SIZE]

Do not proceed any further - you are racing into this without understanding some fundamentals. Worse yet - if you go out onto the internet and start grabbing files willy-nilly, you are likely to end up with a "Leak-{V1, V2, V3}" ROM on your phone, which will prevent you from getting root - possibly forever.

The first fundamental rule to obey is this: Always check the MD5 signature of a file after you have transferred it or downloaded it from the internet.

I was trying not to waste keystrokes previously, and yet I still typed (up above):

md5sum: 63eacc5ede3b179f95dc22d8ef585f94

when mentioning which PB00IMG.ZIP file you should be using.

I mentioned it BECAUSE IT IS IMPORTANT.

What's an md5sum useful for? If you compute the same value that the originator of the file says it should have (using your copy of the file on your computer), then you can be absolutely certain that the file you have is not only not corrupted, but it identical to the one the originator had - every last byte of it, no more, no less. If only a single "bit" in the file changed, a different "md5sum" value would be reported.

So here's what you need to do: download a tool from Cnet's Downloads that will allow you to check the md5sum signature of files you download.

As I said before, and now three times, the md5sum signature of the PB00IMG.ZIP file that you are using should be:

63eacc5ede3b179f95dc22d8ef585f94 PB00IMG.ZIP

Don't proceed any further until you have done just that - checked the file you downloaded on your own computer by calculating its' MD5 signature. On your next post, report what you did in this regard and what happened. While we're at it, I want you to check the md5sum of every "PB00IMG.ZIP" file you downloaded, and report those values as well.

And note also, that if the md5sum computes correctly, then there is absolutely no need to go searching around the internet for a different copy of the file; not only are you sure you have the right file in hand, but the odds of a different files of the same size having an identical MD5 checksum value are essentially zero.

(BTW, I gave you a link up above for the correct PB00IMG.ZIP file - search for GrdLock)

Now, let's look at the possible causes of file corruption when transferring PB00IMG.ZIP files from your PC to the SD card on your phone.

The most likely culprit is that you rebooted the phone, or disconnected the USB cable before the files were even transferred, and they were truncated - so the check failed no matter which version of PB00IMG.ZIP you were using.

Those files are BIG - 100+ Mbytes! And the SD card in your phone is a relatively slow device - it should take nearly a minute or more to copy the file from your PC to the Phone (class 2 SD card). So first, you need to wait a minute or two before you reboot or disconnect.

Second, If you are using a Windows machine, it performs what is called "write cacheing" - which means that Windows "acts" like it has copied your file instantaneously, and whatever command you use to copy the file seems to happen very fast... but it continues to write the file to the SD card "in the background".

So, wait a minute or two after you do the file copy before you do anything - let it do its' job.

Second - you should always be in the habit of using the "Safely Disconnect Devices" control in your Windows Tray when it comes time to disconnect the "mount" of the SD card in the phone to the PC. (The icon in the PC/Windows "tray" for this looks like a little green arrow with a pcmcia card or similar). This control is aware of whether or not there is still writing going on - it will warn you if that is the case, and when it's all clear, will say "Safe to Disconnect" or similar.

If you want to look at what I've written here and try things on your own, then feel free; but reading between the lines of your posts, I see a certain degree of casual impreciseness and disregard for explicit instructions already given, which suggests to me that perhaps you should not be attempting to root your phone. For all the amazing things that computers can do, their one downfall is that you can not provide them instructions which are "sort of correct", and expect good results. You have to get every last detail correct, or woe follows.

I'm not saying that to be mean - honest.

eu1

Reactions: Markla709
Upvote 0
Markla709, glad you got through the process and joined the root club! :)

Like I mentioned in the "HBOOT 1.47..." thread, I had some problems (and success) using Eclips3's Eris Master Application [it was hanging when trying to copy the custom ROM]. I tried so many things before I asked for help and pkopalek helped me figure things out. Turns out I was very close without even knowing it--just needed a final few steps.

ErisUser1 is one of many very knowledgable, patient, and helpful resouces on this forum--I've learned a lot by reading his posts.

P.S. Ivanmmj's Eris Official 1.0 w/OC rocks! Been very solid, no issues.

Upvote 0
I've looked through the forums and probably missed it, but...I want to root and can't find a step-by-step guide...

i.e.
Open SDK.exe, type "______xyz"
Open file "P"
etc...

I'm a bit nervous, so maybe I'm overlooking a thread (doesn't help that there's hundreds of posts in some threads :) )

I know at the top of this thread it discusses some important Q&A about rooting, but not in depth step-by-step (keystroke-by-keystroke) guide.

When I tried to open SDK the other day to take a screen shot, I couldn't even get to a platform, let alone find my device :)

I'm more of a CSS, php, HTML kinda guy, not C+ or Linux, so the more specific the guide, the better...

<ducking in case someone gets mad and throws something at me>

If you can teach me, I can learn, and I'll start helping write code with you in no time :)

Thanks,
J-Dub

Upvote 0
I've looked through the forums and probably missed it, but...I want to root and can't find a step-by-step guide...

i.e.
Open SDK.exe, type "______xyz"
Open file "P"
etc...

I'm a bit nervous, so maybe I'm overlooking a thread (doesn't help that there's hundreds of posts in some threads :) )

I know at the top of this thread it discusses some important Q&A about rooting, but not in depth step-by-step (keystroke-by-keystroke) guide.

When I tried to open SDK the other day to take a screen shot, I couldn't even get to a platform, let alone find my device :)

I'm more of a CSS, php, HTML kinda guy, not C+ or Linux, so the more specific the guide, the better...

<ducking in case someone gets mad and throws something at me>

If you can teach me, I can learn, and I'll start helping write code with you in no time :)

Thanks,
J-Dub

J-Dub See\/

Everything that I have done to my phone is an extraordinarily long list, there is no way I could document it.

What exactly is it that you find wrong with the sticky post http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/53963-guide-stock-1-5-latest-root-2-1-a.html at the top of this forum?

Perhaps what is making you uncertain is that you are on OTA-2.1; but as I said, right up there in this thread a few posts ago

I walked user JrzDroid through this the other day (using a slightly different method), and the entire conversation, including some hiccups, is online in this forum, starting from post #28 in this thread.

Even if you didn't start trying to root your phone right away, you can get a sense of what is involved just by reading that thread, all the way through to the end.

eu1

both of these guides have been very useful in helping me get ready to root my phone.

Reactions: J-Dub
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones