1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Root Noob Question

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by flu13, May 20, 2010.

1. flu13

flu13 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 23, 2009
    Ok, I'm totally new to all this rooting and flashing custom kernels and all that, but I'm doing pretty well with it. I just don't fully understand all the bits and pieces yet.

Yesterday, I loaded JoeyKrim's 0.5 custom kernel, and I had a lot of trouble getting it to work with a custom theme. I want to load his 2.0 kernel today, and I want to try a theme again, but my question is about reverting if I screw the phone up.

I went into Recovery 3.0.8 and I backed up my system and my data. If I screw the phone up badly, can I just go in there and restore both of those and be back where I was?

Seems to make sense to me, but I just want to be sure.

Advertisement

2. kzoo

kzoo Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 16, 2010
    Michigan
    You can just reflash the stock de03 2.1

3. flu13

flu13 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 23, 2009
    Right (and I've done that twice now), but I don't want to lose everything I've installed and set up since doing so.

4. gmjlopez

gmjlopez Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 22, 2010
    Male
    G-town, CT
    I would also like to know if this is possible. I am running stock DE03 rooted and wanted to see what the hype is of running a custom theme.

5. flu13

flu13 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 23, 2009
    I had a theme for a while yesterday, although I couldn't make phone calls (my wife said I basically had an ipod touch at that point). It was really nice looking.

I'm going to try following some detailed instructions on pushing a theme and see how that does.

Also, regarding my original question: I downloaded an update zip from Joey's kitchen and it froze my phone. I went back to recovery and restored my system and it booted up fine again.

6. ragingbull2k2

ragingbull2k2 Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 3, 2009
    http://www.joeyconway.com/sdx/custom/index.php

thats pretty much idiot-proof... choose your options, hit download at the very bottom, and it generates a zip for you... flash that using recovery, and you're golden... NOTHING to worry about... updating the kernel doesn't do anything to screw up your data/apps... give that link a whirl and see what you think...

Joey

7. ragingbull2k2

ragingbull2k2 Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 3, 2009
    you definitely want to get the custom kernel ASAP... it literally DOUBLED my battery life... and custom themes simply change stuff to make it look a little nicer overall... specially since this is vanilla 2.1 (no touchwiz or anything)...

Joey

Samsung Moment

The Samsung Moment was one of the first Android Phones with a slideout keyboard.