• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root root noob

neogenesis

Mar 7, 2010
Sorry for the noobish questions (I swear I used search for the past 3 hours and couldn't find the answers.....at least I didn't understand them if I did)

Just rooted my Eris using the master app (very east by the way) with Ivans ROM. Downloaded setCPU to be able to OC. When I open the app, it shows a max of 528. I have uninstalled and reinstalled twice, tried the 1.57 version and now back on 1.6 and it still does the same thing. what am I doing wrong? Step by steps anyone?

Also, how do I switch between ROMS? A simple (I am not that smart ;)) step by step would be much appreciated.

NEO

Sorry for the noobish questions (I swear I used search for the past 3 hours and couldn't find the answers.....at least I didn't understand them if I did)

Just rooted my Eris using the master app (very east by the way) with Ivans ROM. Downloaded setCPU to be able to OC. When I open the app, it shows a max of 528. I have uninstalled and reinstalled twice, tried the 1.57 version and now back on 1.6 and it still does the same thing. what am I doing wrong? Step by steps anyone?

Also, how do I switch between ROMS? A simple (I am not that smart ;)) step by step would be much appreciated.

NEO

setCPU is already part of Ivan's ROM (look in the applications drawer)...you shouldn't have had to download...:thinking:

Are you using Ivan's version 1.0? (its setCPU max. for overclocking is 710MHz and works great for me).

Upvote 0
Off the top of my head, for SetCPU when you install it and run it for the first time hit menu. then hit select device (might say device selection). Hit auto detect freq's. That should bring you back and let you adjust the oc speed. Becareful when you do this, make sure start on boot isnt checked, because if you go too high and the phone starts rebooting you want to be able to go in to the app and change it. once you find a stable speed (many use 710 up to 768 i think it is) you can set up profiles, you can also have it to start on boot once you have it set.
Doing the roms is simple, at least once you get the hang of it. First step for me is always a nandroid backup of my current set, that way if something is wrong, or i dont like the new rom I can go back to how i have it set up right now exactly as it is. power off the phone then reboot it using vol up + end
that brings up the recovery menu. you have several options in that menu one says backup/recovery. go to that and do a nandroid backup. once that is done, if you have the new rom zip on the root of your sd card you can go down to wipe and then do a data wipe and then a dalvic/cache wipe. if you are installing a different rom and not upgrading your current rom you really want to do those two. once you have that done go back to the main menu and choose flash zip from zd card. choose the zip of the rom you want and away you go for the new rom. once you reboot into it of course it takes a few minutes and you need to set everything back up.
now if you find you dont like the new rom, or it causes issues, this is where nandroid comes in. if you did one of those you can boot back into recovery and choose backup/restore option. then choose the nand restore and, provided you dont have a ton of nand's on there, you can choose the latest one you did and it puts your phone back exactly as you had it before you flashed the new rom.
hope that helps

Upvote 0
setCPU is already part of Ivan's ROM (look in the applications drawer)...you shouldn't have had to download...:thinking:

Are you using Ivan's version 1.0? (its setCPU max. for overclocking is 710MHz and works great for me).

Also, forget to answer your ROM switching question. Now that you've go the recovery partition / utility installed, you should be able to follow step "III. Installing the new rooted ROM" in the thread http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/53963-guide-stock-1-5-latest-root-2-1-a.html, substituting your new ROM's name for the references to "eris21official-root.zip", of course.

Please also read through and search the all-things-root forum to read-up on making Nandroid backups so you can more easily switch between ROMs. Don't forget/ignore the advice about doing the requisite wipes when installing a new ROM. Forewarned is forearmed :D.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys, that is exactly what I was looking for. I am in buisness! (probably will be up all night playing with ROMS :D)

@scary alien.... apparently I wasn't on Ivan's 1.0 with OC. I mistook the one that came in the Eris Master app as being that. I have subsequently dl'd the correct one and setCPU is indeed in there. However, I do not see A2SD.

NEO

Upvote 0
Thanks guys, that is exactly what I was looking for. I am in buisness! (probably will be up all night playing with ROMS :D)

@scary alien.... apparently I wasn't on Ivan's 1.0 with OC. I mistook the one that came in the Eris Master app as being that. I have subsequently dl'd the correct one and setCPU is indeed in there. However, I do not see A2SD.

NEO

I thought that I read somewhere that a2sd on Ivan's might not be working (I could very well be wrong about that)...I never pursued researching since I had 140MB plus on first boot and still have plenty of memory. Ivan's working on version 1.1 and I'll bet it'll be fine on that one.

Good luck!

Upvote 0
I thought that I read somewhere that a2sd on Ivan's might not be working (I could very well be wrong about that)...I never pursued researching since I had 140MB plus on first boot and still have plenty of memory. Ivan's working on version 1.1 and I'll bet it'll be fine on that one.

Good luck!

Yeah, I am really interested in 1.1 after reading about it. My goals with rooting were to have a stable, stock like phone with increased speed and decreased bloatware. Seems like I have found the best match so far.

NEO

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones