• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ROOT of your SDCard

what does that mean do put the file in ROOT of your SDCard??

Putting a file, zip or other kind, to the root of your SD Card simply means sending it, placing it, or copying it to the SD Card and NOT putting it in a sub folder or sub directory. You can see if a file is in the root of your SD Card by opening the SD Card and looking for your file. If you see your file listed without opening anything first, it is in the root of your SD Card.

Upvote 0
Putting a file, zip or other kind, to the root of your SD Card simply means sending it, placing it, or copying it to the SD Card and NOT putting it in a sub folder or sub directory. You can see if a file is in the root of your SD Card by opening the SD Card and looking for your file. If you see your file listed without opening anything first, it is in the root of your SD Card.

The root of you SD Card is just the first part of it. Its like the main menu. So don't put anything in a folder just place in on the SD card itself.

these are your correct answers! it's the safest and best way to flash things. though the majority of mine are in a folder with no issues...there are the few that absolutely need to be on the root of the sd card.

Upvote 0
these are your correct answers! it's the safest and best way to flash things. though the majority of mine are in a folder with no issues...there are the few that absolutely need to be on the root of the sd card.

I put all of mine (kernels, roms, whatever) into a separate folder as well - makes it easier to navigate and I have no problem accessing and flashing them from recovery.

Upvote 0
I hate the use of "root" because it confuses newbies.

Root of a file structure means - the very top of the files and folders, hence the "root of all things".

To root an Android phone is equivalent to "jailbreak" on an iPhone - to give you unlimited power to do everything.

Very confusing, but hopefully this will evolve into different terms. This is why linux is so inherently more technical and confusing for the masses, and why it's not as widely adopted as other OSes. I run Ubuntu with a Virtual Windows for my wife but she knows nothing about Linux LOL.

Upvote 0
that sounds like a good way to permabrick possibly

Welcome to the forums!!!!!!!
and yeah you are right in the sense that having that folder named that way will just cause a whole lot of confusion. unless you know what you are doing and know where things are being kept in what folder then the name does not really matter as much. but to noobs could be very confusing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones