1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Root on 2.3.3

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by AusGalaxyS, Sep 7, 2011.

1. AusGalaxyS

AusGalaxyS Lurker

Hey, first time posting but have read lots of articles...

The sticked thread regarding rooting, nicely says that 2.3 users should already know how to root. I can assure you with full and utter confidence that i am on 2.3.3 and do NOT know how to root my phone.

Could someone please guide me with some steps? I have absolutely no idea where to start. I am running all stock, the specs are listed below

Firmware: 2.3.3
    Baseband: I9000SRJV1
    Kernel: 2.6.35.7-I9000XWJVn-CL366455 root@.DELL86#2
    Build: GINGERBREAD.XWJVN

I dont even know what those values really mean.

So yeh, any help safely rooting my phone would be appreciated!

Thanks

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Bartuc

Bartuc Newbie

Might I sugest that you update to v2.3.4, and then root. v2.3.4 is better then 2.3.3 because of better battery managment and some performance tweaks. I did this two weeks ago, it takes only a few minutes.

Remove dot after h.

1) ROM tutorial - h.ttp://www.theandroidsoul.com/xxjvr-latest-galaxy-s-firmware/

2) Root tutorial - h.ttp://www.theandroidsoul.com/how-to-root-xxjvr-using-odin-on-galaxy-s-i9000/

Hard Reset is a must after every ROM update.

PS: Went to Darky 10.2 Resurrection Edition (from 2.3.4) and it's really great, so you might check that to.

3. AusGalaxyS

AusGalaxyS Lurker

Ahh those links look very helpful, thanks!

The comments in the 2.3.4 thread seem a bit worrying.... alot of people seem to get bad errors. Should i just ingore them and do it anyway..... obviously you had a good experience..

What exactly is the hard reset? How do i go about doing that, and does it involve a wipe..... id rather not get rid if everything and start from scratch :S

If i do have to wipe it, whats the best way to backup everything, considering I don't have root access....and then get it all back with the new firmware

4. Bartuc

Bartuc Newbie

Yes, hard reset (Settings/Privacy/Factory Data Reset) will wipe your phone but it's a necessary step if you chose to upgrade your ROM. It removes all traces of previous ROM which could introduce bugs into new ROM.

For backup, you can use Titanium Backup app.

If you don't wont to update your ROM, you might check this out (GingerBreak root - I didn't try it!):

Text version - How To Root Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread devices with GingerBreak APK
    Youtube version - GingerBreak one click ROOT ANY Gingerbread 2.3.3 Android Device Tutorial, How to Droid X DroidX - YouTube

5. AusGalaxyS

AusGalaxyS Lurker

Hmm il check out those links....looks good, again the comments are mixed, but it seems ok

I downloaded titanium, but it says it requires root access to backup everything, which ofc i dont have :p So is there another option in that department?

And i still dont quite get how a backup works, if im wiping the phone... where does the backup save to and how do i restore it all later?
    Thats my end goal!

6. timmysk

timmysk Lurker

I tried it on my samsung galaxy s i9000 and no go. since I put in gingerbread it won't even let me reboot my phone with vol+,home and power. Any ideas

7. pozland

pozland Lurker

I'm in the same boat as you, mate. I have the OTA 2.3 update, but sadly GingerBreak and Z4 do nothing for me.

8. Black Rose

Black Rose Member

Press between the vol+ and vol- buttons (middle of volume bar) and press the power button. That's the new sequence for 2.3.x

Samsung Galaxy S Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews