• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Root Optimus V without computer

Your welcome. Now that you're rooted, check out this thread for a list of roms, kernels, and various tweaks. Make sure you read everything before you start installing. And most importantly, do not use the factory reset option found in the privacy menu. When a rom install tells you to wipe it is all done in the recovery. You can access the recovery by powering off your phone and pressing and holding the home, volume down and power buttons until the LG splash screen comes on, then release all three. I can not stress enough, READ, READ, READ. If you don't understand something, please ask before you try. It is much easier to answer a question, than to try fix a bricked phone.

[Reference Guide] Optimus V Rooting/Roming/Modding/Hacking (READ THIS TO GET STARTED) - Android Forums

Upvote 0
Wow, I'm in the same boat as far as a computer -glad I'm not the only one! Really glad to see its possible to root this way. However, main reason I want to root is to free up space by moving otherwise unmovable apps to the Sdcard... Can I do that w/o a computer? I'm guessing not, since you have to partition the card, but ya never know until you ask I guess *crosses fingers*

Upvote 0
You can use apps2sd once rooted without partitioning. And you can partition the sdcard in some recovery menus.

I was under the impression that app2sd only moves part of the app to sd, and only let's you move apps that are normally able to be moved, where links2sd moves the whole thing and let's you move all apps regardless of they say they can be moved or not. Or does app2sd work differently once your rooted?

You can use different recoveries w/o flashing a new rom right? Cuz I don't wanna mess with roms. Which ones let you partition?

Upvote 0
Actually, some of the ROMs have the various 2sd methods built in. Harmonia and aospCM7 are two that I know give you tons of internal storage space.

I believe xionia and cwm recoveries allow the partitioning to be done via recovery, but you should research them to be sure.

I don't want to use a custom rom. As I mentioned before, I don't have a computer, so I'm pretty sure I can't do that anyways.

I rooted with Gingerbreak last night (yay!), installed titanium backup (free, as I'm broke right now), and right now in trying to move apps to sd using "root all to sd" since it creates a partition within the app so I don't need to do it on a computer. Only problem with it is it doesn't want to mount the partition for some reason. I'm going to reboot an see if that helps. Any suggestions?

Upvote 0
You are going through more trouble than you need to. Harmonia ROM has the ability to move everything, it is very lightweight yet fully functional, non of the extras the other ROMs throw in, and you don't need a computer to install any ROM.

Well, that sounds lovely :) I really don't need a computer? I've read a lot of threads on flashing roms and they all seem to talk about hooking the phone up to the computer, moving files back and forth, etc. I'm honestly worried about bricking the phone if I try a rom -I CANNOT afford to replace it. Can you please explain (in simple terms, please) or direct me to somewhere that explains how to install Harmonia w/o a computer? Also, does it move the *entire* app to the sdcard, or just partially like when you use the stock 'move to sd' option? I used TB to move most apps, but it leaves stuff behind. Thank you very much for the help so far!

Upvote 0
There is currently something wrong with the thread, linking to the first page or any page that quotes the op sends you to the websites homepage, so for now, here's the page in the Harmonia thread where the developer announces the latest version:
[ROM]Harmonia 1.3 (Aphrodite + Picasticks) 17June11 - Page 50 - Android Forums

Install Terminal Emulator from the market. Once installed, open it and type su, if the $ sign prompt becomes a # sign on the next line, you are rooted fine.

Download the Xionia Recovery and Harmonia ROM to your phone, then use file manager to find them (they should be in /sdcard/download), copy or move them to the root of your sdcard.

In Terminal Emulator, type the following:
su
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /system /system
flash_image recovery /sdcard/NAME_OF_XIONIA_RECOVERY.img
reboot recovery

Once you are in the Xionia recovery, make a backup, DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!

Next, wipe cache and dalvik cache

Next, choose install zip from sdcard, and select the Harmonia ROM's zip file

Next, choose reboot

You should now boot into your new ROM, it will take a while, you system has to rebuild alot of files, so be patient!

If you do have any problems once you flash your new ROM, turn off your phone, hold down the home_key+volume_down_key+power_button till the LG logo goes away, then it will boot into recovery. Choose restore backup, and you will be back to your stock rooted phone.

Reactions: sadielynn
Upvote 0
Wow, that sounds too easy to be true! I read the thru some of that thread after your last post, but it all sounded so complicated - thank you for the simple instructions! I only have a few simple questions:
Once I do all that, I use TB to put all my apps & everything back on, right? Or are they all still there?

As it is now, my apps are mostly on my sdcard, I moved them with TB, but it didn't *completely* move them, it left some data in internal storage. Can move the entire application to sd and not leave data behind with Harmonia? If so, how? Do I have to move them back to internal first,then move them back, etc?

Again, thank you *so* much for the help thus far, you've made the process seem alot less scary-I might actually try this tomorrow!

Upvote 0
Wow, that sounds too easy to be true! I read the thru some of that thread after your last post, but it all sounded so complicated - thank you for the simple instructions! I only have a few simple questions:
Once I do all that, I use TB to put all my apps & everything back on, right? Or are they all still there?

As it is now, my apps are mostly on my sdcard, I moved them with TB, but it didn't *completely* move them, it left some data in internal storage. Can move the entire application to sd and not leave data behind with Harmonia? If so, how? Do I have to move them back to internal first,then move them back, etc?

Again, thank you *so* much for the help thus far, you've made the process seem alot less scary-I might actually try this tomorrow!

Read the Harmonia thread and don't hesitate to ask LeslieAnn questions, she's a very helpful developer!

BTW- if you have trouble with the mount command above, use this one instead:
# mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system

Upvote 0
There is currently something wrong with the thread, linking to the first page or any page that quotes the op sends you to the websites homepage, so for now, here's the page in the Harmonia thread where the developer announces the latest version:
[ROM]Harmonia 1.3 (Aphrodite + Picasticks) 17June11 - Page 50 - Android Forums

Install Terminal Emulator from the market. Once installed, open it and type su, if the $ sign prompt becomes a # sign on the next line, you are rooted fine.

Download the Xionia Recovery and Harmonia ROM to your phone, then use file manager to find them (they should be in /sdcard/download), copy or move them to the root of your sdcard.

In Terminal Emulator, type the following:
su
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /system /system
flash_image recovery /sdcard/NAME_OF_XIONIA_RECOVERY.img
reboot recovery

Once you are in the Xionia recovery, make a backup, DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!

Next, wipe cache and dalvik cache

Next, choose install zip from sdcard, and select the Harmonia ROM's zip file

Next, choose reboot

You should now boot into your new ROM, it will take a while, you system has to rebuild alot of files, so be patient!

If you do have any problems once you flash your new ROM, turn off your phone, hold down the home_key+volume_down_key+power_button till the LG logo goes away, then it will boot into recovery. Choose restore backup, and you will be back to your stock rooted phone.
Hey JerryScript, maybe you could point out where the spaces are in the commands. It might make it easier for her to get it right the first time. I know for me until I knew where the spaces where in the first commands I attempted,I was about to pull my hair out(you helped in this area on a previous post in the thread "Help" I think it was)
Now that I now what the spacing looks like it's a piece of cake. Oh yeh,one more thing, Does it matter which way the slashes are leaning?

Upvote 0
In pretty sure I got all the spaces right, but when I use the system /system its says "system not found", so I tried the dev/block/mtdblock5/ system it says "permission denied".
:( what am I missing here?

*edit: I found the previously mentioned thread where you showed the spaces, and I definitely have them right....so... I dunno what's wrong

Upvote 0
I have a #. And superuser says terminal emulator has root permissions.

*edited to say: I really have tried to search out an answer for myself, but honestly, I'm not even sure what to search *for* at this point. I've also tried rebooting the phone, moving terminal emulator to and from the sdcard (I'm guessing this makes absolutely no difference, but I was trying anything at that point), and clearing cache.

Upvote 0
OK, let me preface this post by saying that I have next to no idea what I'm taking about here.... But, I went poking around the terminal emulator settings, and I was wondering if these 2 setting defaults have anything to do with anything:

Shell command line:
/system/bin/sh -

Initial command:
export PATH=/data/local/bin:
$PATH

Do I need to change these?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones