• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root root option to add battery percent % symbol over battery icon in STATUS bar?

What menu bar? On the bottom where you launch the app screen?
thinking_monkey.jpg

Upvote 0
sorry..... the notification bar is the drop down bar, no? the STATUS bar - what I called the Menu - is the top bar with signal strength, battery meter, time, 3G, etc. my bad

I know its a relatively simple hack but its been so long since I needed to do it since Cyanogenmod its a built in option. If I can remember how to do it I will let you know

Upvote 0
would love to then find a "metamorph" theme and then the same stock battery icon BUT with a % on it like I have seen in Pete's BB.

I am a graphic designer, is it easy for me to get a source of that stock battery png file (I assume png) and make my own 0,10,20,30,40,50,60,70,80,100% images and make my own metamorph theme?

If you want to make it you can. But if what you're wanting already exists you can just grab those images from the zip file. You could easily download pete's BB use 7zip or something similar and navigate to system/framework and open up framework-res.apk using same zip program and take the images. The image names are stat_sys_battery_(%), from 0 to 100.

Upvote 0
okay.. I grabbed them. they did not have the % over them though??? I know for a fact they did in the BB 0.4 I had loaded. so I wonder if something else in the ROM writes, in small text, the %?

I made this as a demo of what I am doing.. but not sure what to now do with the images to make a theme and load it up?

statsysbatteryx3.gif

using another battery only metamorph theme as a guide, I put my images into it and rezipped it back up. I now have what I think is a metamorph theme of my batteries?? I guess only way to know is to use metamorph and try to load it, but i am nervous. what if it fails, can I delete it with no issue? seems only way to go back is to flash back a ROM in recovery it seems?

Upvote 0
okay.. I grabbed them. they did not have the % over them though??? I know for a fact they did in the BB 0.4 I had loaded. so I wonder if something else in the ROM writes, in small text, the %?

I made this as a demo of what I am doing.. but not sure what to now do with the images to make a theme and load it up?

statsysbatteryx3.gif

using another battery only metamorph theme as a guide, I put my images into it and rezipped it back up. I now have what I think is a metamorph theme of my batteries?? I guess only way to know is to use metamorph and try to load it, but i am nervous. what if it fails, can I delete it with no issue? seems only way to go back is to flash back a ROM in recovery it seems?

Just make sure that the image names are correct and the structure is correct. I've never used Metamorph myself as I prefer to do things manually. If you took the structure from another metamorph most likely you should be OK, just do a backup in recovery before using the metamorph. This way if something goes wrong you can go back to where you were prior to using Metamorph. You may also want to modify stat_sys-battery_charge_anim to match.

Upvote 0
I left the stat_sys-battery_charge_anim files as is as they seem cool to me and I do not mind that charging animation/progression. I just like to know the % during battery use more than during charging.

I just didn't know how much changes you made, so if all you did was add the % then there isn't anything really to change for the charging animation. I haven't used the stock battery in a long time and don't remember how it looks, LOL.

Upvote 0
Please let us know how it goes Lock-n-Load :) It's almost as if you're reading my mind because I rooted today and was thinking about this!

Papadroid, you said you prefer doing manually, are there any good guides/resources/threads that you can point us to that describe in more detail?

Upvote 0
yeah, I kind of like the manual idea as it kind of implies I can go into something on the SD card, grab the files, back them up, drop mine in.. no? that would be easier... but I may have that process wrong.

when I get around to trying to load this, I will report back of course. and IF it works, I will supply the file and directions so anyone can do it.

and heck, I did this quick.. I could "really" take some time and maybe try a better font, maybe some bevel effects on the battery, maybe try a different color than green - like orange - for the 60% as it seems like 40-100 should not all be green.

Upvote 0
yeah, I kind of like the manual idea as it kind of implies I can go into something on the SD card, grab the files, back them up, drop mine in.. no? that would be easier... but I may have that process wrong.

Exactly, all you need to do is replace the file with your new picture. The only thing is that you won't be able to replace some files because they'll be in use while the phone is on.

I'm pretty sure you can just create your own update.zip to get around this. If you look in any update.zip you'll see you just need to put the file in the folder you want it to go into. Suppose you want to replace /system/framework/framework-res.apk, you would create a system folder on your computer, go into it, create a framework folder, go into it, and place your new framework-res.apk in that folder. Then you would take the system folder and put it into a .zip and use ClockworkMod to apply it.

Upvote 0
would love to then find a "metamorph" theme and then the same stock battery icon BUT with a % on it like I have seen in Pete's BB.

I am a graphic designer, is it easy for me to get a source of that stock battery png file (I assume png) and make my own 0,10,20,30,40,50,60,70,80,100% images and make my own metamorph theme?

Maybe you can take the files out of a ROM that has this feature. It was either Chevy or JRummy's latest that even has 5, 10, 15, 20 - which is nice when you are really low.

Not sure if it's just graphics or another implementation, but I am sure that the percentages simply coincide with the graphic level on the battery png.

Upvote 0
Maybe you can take the files out of a ROM that has this feature. It was either Chevy or JRummy's latest that even has 5, 10, 15, 20 - which is nice when you are really low.

Not sure if it's just graphics or another implementation, but I am sure that the percentages simply coincide with the graphic level on the battery png.

I might add the 10% increments as i have a battery tool right now that has a status bar widget that shows in 10% increments while the ones I pulled from the ROM only have what you see above. So, I wonder if I just filled in the blanks between stock images with 3 more images:

stat_sys_battery_50.png
stat_sys_battery_70.png
stat_sys_battery_90.png

it would display them? it would see they are there and use them? can anyone confirm this?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones