1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Root options...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Westone, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Westone

Westone Newbie
    None

Jul 11, 2014
    IT Support
    Central NC
    Hi,
    Please know that I have been searching and reading for a couple of hours this morning and have not been able to find an answer to my very basic question: Can my specific Verizon S5 be rooted, or better yet safe rooted like I did with my S4?

It's running Android 5.0 and the build is VRU2BPB1.

My previous S4 Mini had been Safe Rooted using guidance found here at AF, and that was ideal for me: It was straightforward, All I wanted to do was have control over what apps were running at start up and have the ability to turn off bloatware. Custom ROMs were not a concern for me.

So far I have read, on a variety of sites, it cannot be rooted, maybe it can be rooted but the results are uncertain, and it can definitely be rooted. Posts I've read saying a Verizon S5 can be rooted discuss build numbers that are not even similar to the one shown in my phone. And the processes are convoluted compared to the previous safe root I did on the S4.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

2. ironass

ironass Extreme Android User

Aug 17, 2010
    Male
    Keeping one step ahead of the tax man.
    Cotswolds, England
  3. Westone

Westone Newbie
    None

Jul 11, 2014
    IT Support
    Central NC
    Thanks. I've tried this several times this afternoon, and every time, it all goes south after the reboot following the flashing of the nk2 kernel. The phone just freezes on start. There are specific instructions for dealing with this scenario, however the phone never shows up when it is re-connected to the computer. I've reset it back to factory, started all over, and the same thing happens every time.

I'm just going to have to set it up without rooting it. I've already let it take up my whole afternoon with no progress beyond this point.

4. ironass

ironass Extreme Android User

Aug 17, 2010
    Male
    Keeping one step ahead of the tax man.
    Cotswolds, England
    Does it tell you to flash the NK2 kernel if you are on the PB1 Verizon firmware and using the Working Root Method For 5.0 Lollipop Roms [OE1] [OG5] [OK3] [PB1] [3-3-16]?

I only ask because I do not have the Verizon, G900V, model.

5. Westone

Westone Newbie
    None

Jul 11, 2014
    IT Support
    Central NC
    Yes, the root.bat procedure specifically instructed that. Then the phone reboots, and just stays on the initial black splash screen, never moves past that and is never detected by the computer as being connected. As instructed, I unplugged it, wiped the cache, booted to boot loader, but it's never detected by the computer again.

Samsung Galaxy S5

The Samsung Galaxy S5 was announced in 2014 and was the company's first flagship of the year. The device featured a 5.1-inch display with a resolution of 1920 x 1080, 2GB of RAM, 16GB of storage, and a 16MP primary rear camera.