1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Root or No Root ..

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Jojowired, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Jojowired

Jojowired Lurker
    None

Sep 6, 2011
    Hi All,
    Wow Nice forum! .. Please forgive me if I am posting in the wrong area, I have a DX I really use it for work ..blaa blaa ..chasing my kids etc. Not really into anything too crazy, Yesterday without thinking I updated my previously rooted (Z4 Root) DX to the 2.3.3 version so I have the SU Icon ..it does not work, The only reason I origionally rooted was for the use of Barnacle to connect my IPAD or else I would just use PDA NET, my system version is .602, Radio ver is .13P From what I have been reading it does not seem that Barnacle will work even if I re-root my phone leaving the 2.3.3 . Corrrect or no?. Anyway, 2nd question .. Is there a way for me to re-store my DX to the prior system to make Barnacle work ?.. I have read about 12,000 guides today and I think I have only confused myself to the point of utter cluelessness and I really don't want to brick my phone.

I like the 2.33 version but I was just fine with the prior operating system. I really don't mind if I wipe the phone info but just need a guide that I can understand, If possible keep the 2.3.3 ..but Im not going to lose any sleep if I have to go back. Also I use back up assistant can I restore at least my contacts after re-flashing or is there a different method I should use latest update was 3 days ago..

Thanks in advance for any guidance the forum members can offer.

Jojo

Advertisement

2. tom108

tom108 Android Expert
    None

3. Jojowired

Jojowired Lurker
    None

Sep 6, 2011
    I tried this, I have SU in my apps area so it will not let me complete there is a warning I listed below.

Download the OneClickExploit : droidmodderx.com/one-click-root-for-any-motorola-device-running-gb/

WARNING for Droid X: Previously rooted DX owners who took an OTA update and then lost root should proceed with caution. This seems to only work flawlessly on SBF’d DX’s or fully factory stock ones(read: never been rooted). The problem is with getting Superuser installed because it is already on your phone from when you were rooted previously.

4. Jojowired

Jojowired Lurker
    None

Sep 6, 2011
  5. Jojowired

Jojowired Lurker
    None

Sep 6, 2011
    I found this for people that have a DX previously rooted and then updated to 2.3.3 and .602 .. My problem was the Super user was already installed and the one click method would not work because of the SU

I didn't create the file, but they should be able to update it easily.
    in the meantime, open the folder you extracted these files to.
    (i'm assuming you are in windows 7 here)
    hold Shift+right click a blank spot, select "open a command prompt here"
    type: adb shell
    when you hit enter, the next line should end with a #
    if it's $, run the oneclick again, then start this over

once you have the # prompt, type
    mount -oremount,rw /dev/block/system /system
    rm /system/bin/su
    rm /system/xbin/su
    hitting enter after each line.
    don't worry if it says it can't find the file... the point here is to get rid of it anyway

then run the oneclick again. worked for me :D

This worked like a champ .. :)

6. VoidedSaint

VoidedSaint Resident Ninja
    None

Feb 10, 2010
    Male
    Virginia
    i didnt read this whole thing but the last little bit, why didnt you do a SBF and then proceed that way???

7. cougar214

cougar214 Android Expert
    None

Feb 9, 2011
    If you own a Droid X and you're dummer than toast then maybe you could brick one. As long as your IQ is higher than a ******ed monkey you will never have a brick....lol...:D

8. Jojowired

Jojowired Lurker
    None

Sep 6, 2011
    Well fortunately spending many hours reading the androidforums and a few nudges along the way I was able to get my phone re-rooted (No Brickage) ..haha .. and I sort of found a new hobbie to fart around with in my spare time .. :D So allz well that ends Well !