1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Root or not to Root

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by alan17, Jun 2, 2011.

1. alan17

alan17 Lurker
    None

Should I wait until my warranty runs out before I root my gtab 10 as to not void it? With that said, what are the real advantages of rooting? & Can it be put back to out of the box state if I don't like the rooted unit?

Advertisement

2. xmr405o

xmr405o Android Expert
    None

Dec 7, 2009
    Wow! Where to begin...

Well first off, rooting isn't such a big deal when it comes to the gtab. The device is pretty much unlocked. The best thing you can do with your gtab is to install a custom rom which comes pre-rooted!

Custom roms provides a true Android device experience meaning you get all the google apps like the Android market, gmail, gtalk etc... it also significantly increases speed. With a custom rom and custom recovery, you can install kernels that boosts your processing speed up to 50%. From 1ghz to 1.5ghz. You can back up and restore roms...

What else??? Well I move this post to the root section of the gtab forum so I'm sure more people will chime in.

alan17 likes this.
  3. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!
    None

Nov 17, 2009
    Male
    I'm retired: every day's a Monday :P
    Manchester, TN
    One of the greatest benefits of root is to install the custom recovery (ClockworkMod) and make regular backups of the gTab.

I try to make a backup once a week or so... so if we download a malicious app or something otherwise screws the tablet up, all I have to do is go into recovery, wipe data/factory reset, and do a restore of the last backup. It'll be like nothing happened!*

LESSON LEARNED: I back up my 3 Droids religiously every week, but have neglected the gTab because we only use it for a few apps and do little else with it. Then over the weekend it decided to totally muck up: every app force-closed, couldn't do anything. Without a recent backup, I had to wipe and start all over. Now I will make SURE to backup the gTab every week, when the phones are due.

ANY Android device I buy - especially my next Android phone - MUST be rootable if for that reason alone. Backups are indispensable!

*- ROM Manager is not good for making backups for the gTab, at least not for me. You're better off to go into recovery and backup from there. Just something to keep in mind after you root.

alan17 and xmr405o like this.
  4. xmr405o

xmr405o Android Expert
    None

Dec 7, 2009
    Totally agree with CWM. Back ups are a must. But with the gtab, technically you can install CWM without rooting. Just apply one of the CWM zips and use the gtabs stock recovery to install the update.zip file. I think that's why solidorange removed using Z4root as a step in the Rom'ing process because its not necessary.

alan17 likes this.
  5. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!
    None

Nov 17, 2009
    Male
    I'm retired: every day's a Monday :P
    Manchester, TN
    Well, that's pretty clever... would've made life a lot easier for me back in the day :p

6. xmr405o

xmr405o Android Expert
    None

Dec 7, 2009
    Lol! I was surprised too when I rom'd my gtab. Especially considering what I had to go thru when I was rooting my droid back in the day. Haha We didn't have one click methods available before. This device is probably the easiest to customize.

alan17 likes this.