• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root or wait for Android 2.2

I bet by the end of the month we will have a OTA on our phones

I'd bet money against that.

I'll take root and 2.2. :D
Just curious, why would you not want root? It's faster, with better battery life and complete control.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Well, they disable su access so that people don't go ruining their phones by modifying/deleting important files, but honestly, that's very difficult to do... you'd practically have to be trying to screw something up. :eek:

Upvote 0
No roms to root yet. Personally, I'd just wait until 2.2 comes out, that's what I'm doing. If Verizon blocks the mobile hotspot, I'll root. If they don't, I'll stay stock.

Actually, I may stay stock because the button at the top to put my phone or screen to sleep is kinda screwy. I'm just deciding whether or not to wait until Droid2 comes out so if they replace it, they replace it with the new one. I know with previous phones (mainly LG) they just replaced my old phone with whatever model replaced it.

Upvote 0
Yeah but whens much sooner there is no Roms for it yet. Thats what everyones been saying and yet theres nothing.
If your main concern is how fast you're going to get 2.2, then without a doubt, its going to come sooner for rooted devices.

I actually don't see what the dilemma is in making the decision. I rooted my device, and when 2.2 ROMs are released, it will simply be the best of both worlds.

Upvote 0
I'll take root and 2.2. :D

Just curious, why would you not want root? It's faster, with better battery life and complete control.

Sent from my

I beg to differ, I had terrible battery life with rooted 2.1. Back to stock now and no issues.
Must be the (root only) programs you were using sucked up a lot of battery. Generally speaking, a rooted rom has the potential to have much better battery life than stock. If you use the root to your advantage, you can set your phone to save battery by setting cpuspeed profiles/other tweaks. ROMing would probably be a lot more effective in increasing battery life though. Pete's latest BB has many tweaks which have significantly increased my battery.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
No roms to root yet. Personally, I'd just wait until 2.2 comes out, that's what I'm doing. If Verizon blocks the mobile hotspot, I'll root. If they don't, I'll stay stock.

Actually, I may stay stock because the button at the top to put my phone or screen to sleep is kinda screwy. I'm just deciding whether or not to wait until Droid2 comes out so if they replace it, they replace it with the new one. I know with previous phones (mainly LG) they just replaced my old phone with whatever model replaced it.

You'll get the first gen Droid. There will be refurbs for years to replace broken/buggy devices.

Upvote 0
Just give rooting a try and see how you like it. I've only ever used Bugless Beast (and I love it) but there are a ton of custom ROMs out there to try. As others have said, you'll probably get a 2.2 custom ROM before the actual OTA. And it's easy to go back to stock if you ever have the desire.

A 2.2 rom is already out (including Flash 10.1 installed separately). See the root forum...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones