• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Root Problems 2.3.4 to 2.3.6

fufanux

Aug 7, 2012
Hey guys I seem to be having a bit of a problem rooting my admire. I had my admire rooted and working fine with the 2.3.4 kernel, but could not send or receive mms. After a bunch of run-arounds with the metro customer service department getting me nowhere, I decided to look into this myself. I noticed a software update on the metropcs site and went ahead and updated. Turns out this was the update to 2.3.6 (duh), but I can send and receive MMS again, which is awesome.

My problem now is that I want to root it again but it doesn't seem to be going so well and I am thinking it is due to the new os version? Any help getting my phone back to rooted status would be great.

My output with one-click is as follows:

error: unknown host service
"
[*] Triggering core dump..."
[1] Segmentation fault app_process /dev...
cannot create /data/local.prop: permission denied
"
[*] Rebooting phone. It may buzz a lot and loop on boot. Don't panic."
remount failed: Operation not permitted
failed to copy 'su' to '/system/xbin/su': Read-only file system
Unable to chmod /system/xbin/su: No such file or directory
link failed Read-only file system
"
[*] Installing Superuser.apk. If this hangs, just cancel it with Ctrl+C after a
few seconds,"
"
[*] and you'll be finished rooting your phone. Reboot and enjoy."
1599 KB/s (196521 bytes in 0.120s)
Error: Could not access the Package Manager. Is the system running?
"
[*] Persistence complete, enjoy your rooted phone!"
Press any key to exit the script.
Press any key to continue . . .

OFFICAL UPDATE LINK
Welcome to AF fufanux. Did you find this update on Metropcs.com website.
Where on its website ?

http://www.metropcs.com/metro/detail/Samsung+Admire/SCHR720ZAAM then under the LEARN tab.
which leads to http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/SCH-R720ZAAMTR.
Back Up Your Information Before Software Update

This update will delete all personal data on the device and all settings will be reset to default. This includes applications, contacts, email, messages, wallpaper and home screen settings.

This looks like an OFFICAL update for MetroPCS samsung admires. Would I update to this version just yet? My answer is NO. More information I think is needed as there is no root around for admire versions 2.3.6. but I am not sure. I am sure someone else has better knowledge of this.

Upvote 0
Release Notes

• Google platform version upgrade from Gingerbread 2.3.4 to Gingerbread 2.3.6
  • Google Security Patches
  • Preload App changes:
    • IM and Social version 4.0.13
    • mail@metro version 7.59.23.3.45.4562
    • MyExtras version 4.5.4
    • Pocket Express version 6.4.0.1
    • Rhapsody version 1.0 (new)
    • M Studio version 1.00.49
    • Visual Voicemail version 3.14.22
    • MetroPCS Easy WiFi version 4.3.111
  • Preload Apps removed:
    • Loopt
    • vcpay
    • metrobackup

Upvote 0
So am I just out of luck or is there a way I can go back to 2.3.4 without needing root? I am willing to see if mms works while back in 2.3.4, but like I said as soon as I updated I could send/receive pictures etc again (started not working about a month or so ago).

Not sure Lets try some solutions. You said
Any help getting my phone back to rooted status would be great.
My output with one-click is as follows:

error: unknown host service
"
[*] Triggering core dump..."
[1] Segmentation fault app_process /dev...
cannot create /data/local.prop: permission denied
"
[*] Rebooting phone. It may buzz a lot and loop on boot. Don't panic."
remount failed: Operation not permitted
failed to copy 'su' to '/system/xbin/su': Read-only file system
Unable to chmod /system/xbin/su: No such file or directory
link failed Read-only file system
"
[*] Installing Superuser.apk. If this hangs, just cancel it with Ctrl+C after a
few seconds,"
"
[*] and you'll be finished rooting your phone. Reboot and enjoy."
1599 KB/s (196521 bytes in 0.120s)
Error: Could not access the Package Manager. Is the system running?
"
[*] Persistence complete, enjoy your rooted phone!"
Press any key to exit the script.
Press any key to continue . . . [/QUOTE]

Does your phone have Superuser(I see it in the output message) , BusyBox on it? some one told me that those apps are needed so that the root works correctly.
Does you phone have root checker on it?

Upvote 0
So am I just out of luck or is there a way I can go back to 2.3.4 without needing root? I am willing to see if mms works while back in 2.3.4, but like I said as soon as I updated I could send/receive pictures etc again (started not working about a month or so ago).

You can use odin to go back to stock. It's a computer application that connects to your phone while it's in download mode and lets you flash things. Here's the link [ACS] THE ODIN THREAD: Return to stock You can either flash pure stock without root or pre-rooted stock. And also since it seems mms doesn't work for you on 2.3.4 you can flash a custom rom that's running the 2.3.6 update. But that's all after you get your phone rooted lol

Upvote 0
Ok thanks kage, do you have a link by chance to the custom rom running 2.3.6 so I can look more into that?

No prob and there's more than one custom rom that's running 2.3.6 but i'm not sure which ones they are. Here's a link to the all things root guide that has links to different rom threads http://androidforums.com/admire-all-things-root/452614-samsung-admire-all-things-root-guide-updated-7-30-2012-a.html You may just have to ask if it's 2.3.6 and then just flash whichever one is to your liking

Upvote 0
guy the both of the update are completely different ones just thought id point of the obvious. the roms we have with the generic 2.4.6 are on the a completely different basehand than the official metro 2.4.6. so clearly there is a difference and that upgrade patche up security issues thats why you simply cant use one click root because it fixes the exploit but kidallstar has found a way to root. also you can cwm to return back to 2.3.4 as long as you have a backup. that or just odin it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones