• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Root Problems Bricked

SavageRobot

Android Expert
Jan 23, 2012
Wales
I went ahead and rooted following this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/g4/orig-development/root-tmo-vzw-intl-variants-soon-root-lg-t3164765 and I have hit a problem, my phone now just stays on the LG Life is Good screen with the blue LED flashing. Can't get into bootloader main UI. I can however get into download but I am not sure the device is recognised by PC. I'll explain
All was going well and I got as far as step 6. I was in the right COM port, was COM3 for me so looked as follows
C:\Users\**********\Desktop\LG_Root>Send_Command.exe \\.\COM3
Author : blog.lvu.kr
SPECIAL COMMAND : ENTER, LEAVE

#

I went back to stage 6 and typed id. Just went back to # on next level with nothing after. So I pressed ctrl+C and used the "send command..." again, typed "id" and got this back

EXEC W ║º║╝#

Any ideas what's gone wrong and how to fix? Really regret trying this now.
When I first got the file I needed I didn't realise I needed to extract it twice. I downloaded file called

h81510c-eu.tar.gz

I then extracted that and got a file called

h81510c-eu.tar

At first I copied this to the root of my phone and tried running the command and immmediately got # straight back after running the command in step 7
dd if=/data/media/0/system.rooted.H81510c-EU.img bs=8192 seek=55296 count=529920 of=/dev/block/mmcblk0
I then realised this wasn't yet an img file and needed to be extracted again so I extracted the tar file listed above and got file

system.rooted.H81510c-EU.img

Copied this to the phone and ran through the steps again and when I got to step 7/8 again immediately after running the command above starting "dd.." the # came back up. I figured it didn't work still as the thread says "after a few minutes..." but I left it a couple of minutes anyway with nothing happening, but on typing "LEAVE" it stayed in download mode rather than restarting. This is where I started to worry. I left it a while longer, nothing happened. I saw on the other thread that was linked in the one mentioned above that a battery pull may be necessary so I did that, then the boot screen problem.​

Well can you get to download mode?,If so I would return to stock with the stock firmware here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/g4/general/guide-lg-g4-stock-firmware-to-stock-kdz-t3107848
You can try again after you get back to stock and if you decide to use this method to return to stock.Be sure to remove sim card and sd card as while flashing back to stock will wipe them clean.Then after flashing back to stock you can put them back in and your good to go.

Upvote 0
This won't root you, but have a look and see if this tool can take you back to stock: http://forum.xda-developers.com/g4/help/lgup-install-kdz-mm-lp-t3249803

I noticed it yesterday but haven't had the opportunity to read through the thread yet.

I had a look at the "easy" root method and decided unlocking my bootloader was easier so I'm not too sure of the ins and outs of the method you used, sorry.

Upvote 0
Oh dear. That didn't work at all. Now I can't get into download mode and am stuck in bootloop. Followed instructions for CSE Flash and the window that came up after pressing OK and not changing language from Korean came up with everything in "????...." and the download mode on phone stuck at 2% and a couple more windows came up with "???..." I pressed what I assume OK was and tried again. This time it came up in English on PC and the same errors except this time it was in English, said something along the lines of failed, on PC it failed about 30%, on the phone still two. Said close and try again so I did and now it goes into download mode briefly but at top left it says
[670]___________________
[720]
[770] Secure booting Error!
[820] Error Code : 1003
[870]
[920]___________________

It then just bootloops with this same message up top.
Think it's well and truely f@#*ed? Any ideas?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Kind of a strange set of circumstances here considering you haven't attempted to touch the boot.img I wouldn't expect that error at all. I suppose it could have failed when writing the stock boot.img from the kdz. You weren't one of the few that have already received the Marshmallow update by chance?

Anyway, so yeah this is bad. With no regular boot, no working download mode, or no custom recovery, I know of no way to fix this one. On some past devices (G2/G3) we had some down and dirty options available for advanced users to restore most any brick situation. Those same options are not, to my knowledge, available for the G4 and they may never be.

If you get another 815, do yourself a favor and unlock it, and add a custom recovery. You can fix so many more issues with a custom recovery. Good luck man.

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0
Bugger, that's what I feared, OK thanks. Call to EE it is then. No I didn't update to Marshmallow, EE are to my knowledge the slowest operator in UK at giving updates, don't think I actually had a single update since purchase.
@El Presidente any thoughts what I should say to clonephone happened being an EE chap too? I know you say they don't particularly care about rooting etc but I don't want to risk them saying no and being stuck in the contract with a useless brick.

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0
Two weeks ago I got LG G4(F500L) and after several days updated to marshmallow . so, I lost chance to root my device with Android lollipop. I am dissatisfied with LG which has a problem not to allow bootloader unlock. I cant use fastboot flash for factory image. LG Developer must unlock bootloader like that other device companies. It can be a way to complement LG's weak points because I think LG is behind more than Samsung or Apple in competitive power. many buyers are willing to not buy LG devices next time owing to such inconveniences.

Reactions: iowabowtech
Upvote 0
Two weeks ago I got LG G4(F500L) and after several days updated to marshmallow . so, I lost chance to root my device with Android lollipop. I am dissatisfied with LG which has a problem not to allow bootloader unlock. I cant use fastboot flash for factory image. LG Developer must unlock bootloader like that other device companies. It can be a way to complement LG's weak points because I think LG is behind more than Samsung or Apple in competitive power. many buyers are willing to not buy LG devices next time owing to such inconveniences.

Whilst it is frustrating, you'll probably find the number of people who care about unlocked bootloaders etc is tiny compared to the overall userbase.

Case in point - https://www.change.org/p/lg-electronics-unlock-bootloader-on-all-g4-devices

Not even 1500 Signatures from a userbase of millions.

Reactions: SavageRobot
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones