• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Root Problems... Superuser App, No Root Access

Ok, here's the deal, I'm trying to gain root and having some problems...

I had my droid rooted for some time, running droid mod 1.0. All was well until recently the battery life turned to shit (followed all guides to resolve recent OTA update issues, but still shitty.) Because of this, I decided I would go back to stock, since I couldn't justify the rom's features if the battery would kick out after 16 hours. So I returned to stock no problem and received the OTA to upgrade to 2.1.

After getting the upgrade to 2.1, I wanted to at least have root access to run a few programs. I followed this guide:

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid/63010-how-install-sprecovery-unrooted-2-1-ota.html

to get SPRecovery back on my phone. Everything went well, it all checked out. After that I used SPRecovery to install the root update.zip. This worked fine, the root access app is in my tray and everything seems to be fine... HOWEVER when opening programs that require root access (setcpu and adfree are the ones I've tried) they say I don't have root access. I have tried reinstalling the update.zip file to no luck. USB debugging is ON. Is there a special update.zip to gain root on 2.1 (I saw no posts about that)? Is there some setting I missed this time around that I didn't the first time I rooted? Any help is appreciated.

Update:

Tried installing RomManager and then flashing Clockwork Recovery. Got an error message saying I don't have permission to do so (which would be in line with not having root access)

Was thinking about trying out a different rom, but I definatley don't want to install any roms untill I know I can get root access.

Contemplating going back to stock 2.01 and then starting the process all over again...

Upvote 0
Update:

Tried installing RomManager and then flashing Clockwork Recovery. Got an error message saying I don't have permission to do so (which would be in line with not having root access)

Was thinking about trying out a different rom, but I definatley don't want to install any roms untill I know I can get root access.

Contemplating going back to stock 2.01 and then starting the process all over again...

installing a new rom will fix your root access problems as all roms have the su and superuser.apk files in them

Upvote 0
That's what I was thinking, but I didn't know if it would work or not...

Kind of annoyed as I wanted to try using 2.1 stock with root access just to check the battery life. I have no problems with roms, I just wanted something really stable so I didn't have to mess with it all the time. DroidMod was working fine until the battery life went south... sigh...

Thanks, will begin looking for a new rom, current top picks seem to be BB 1 or NexBeast 1

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones