• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root root problems

nkk

Android Expert
Mar 10, 2010
Ok, so I searche around, and nothing specific was really given, so I am making a new thread. My apologies if I did not see what I need, as I am notoriously bad at searching for physical things, and I see no reason that would not apply to digital things. :p

Wat are the real downfalls of rooting? The reason I want to root is for the ability to make my phone a wifi hotspot, as that would be tremendously useful. However, if this compromises my phone's usability, I cannot do it beause the phone is my business lifeline. I read there are "some problems" that can arise with root, but what are they, exactly?

Also, can I root on the current 1.5 version?* Or is that not possible. I read the guide, buy was sort of confused it that was just for that 2.1 version because it was preferable, or because it was the only choice. I need google voice to work flawlessly, and from reports with 2.1, it does not, so again, this could kill it for me.

Thanks,
Nkk , who despite this post is actually pretty technologically adept

*EDIT: I know I can root while on 1.5, but can I keep it as 1.5 after rooting?

I suppose we COULD create an image with 1.5 + root, but I doubt anyone's gonna do that. 1.5 is old news. :)

There's an older version of Google Voice, .2 I think or somethin, that works flawlessly.

Why do you need GV to work "flawlessly" anyways? You do know that dialing out with GV still uses your minutes, right?

Reactions: nkk
Upvote 0
Yes, I know. It would be really nice, however, if my google voice number was the only one the people I work with see. I could live without, but it would be if everything else works well.

Anyway, I am rooting in a day or two (when I find time) if tere are no other problems. Now that there seems to be a way for me to go back to 1.5, there really does not seem to be a downside.

-Nkk

Upvote 0
Sarcasm much? :p From what I have read (and your guide status), you could possibly help me, or at least point me to the resources I am guessing I missed.

Nkk

Yeah sarcastic as charged....When I saw your post earlier you must of been editing it, because it only showed it saying " Ok, so I s"
So thats what I was responding to :)

But yeah gotta agreee with Grdlock, 1.5 is semi old is that fashion, and besides the google voice issue...no real other reason.

And yeah there really isnt a downside for you to Root, there are some pretty nice roms out there :)

Sorry for the sarcasm earlier....just poking fun ;)

Upvote 0
Someone remind me this weekend, I will do a 1.5 + root. I have a 1.5 downgrade rom linked somewhere on this forum and on xda.

Thanks. ;)
Yeah sarcastic as charged....When I saw your post earlier you must of been editing it, because it only showed it saying " Ok, so I s"
So thats what I was responding to :)

But yeah gotta agreee with Grdlock, 1.5 is semi old is that fashion, and besides the google voice issue...no real other reason.

And yeah there really isnt a downside for you to Root, there are some pretty nice roms out there :)

Sorry for the sarcasm earlier....just poking fun ;)

Fair enough. I accidentally hit enter while typing, so my post was submitted prematurely. :)

-Nkk

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones