• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Root Question (i'm not tech savvy)

Dagan

Oct 20, 2010
My basic question is what exactly does "root" mean?

what are the pro's?
what are the con's?
what are the dangers?

all the talk about overclocking/ROM/flashing?

I have read several dozen posts on how to root my phone..but have yet to come across anything that gived specific details on what rooting actually does?
graned, i know a little about electronics...however compared to the masses here, you should refer to me as a 1st grader lol

Rooting basically gives you admin rights to the file system of the phone. With rooting you can install custom roms. For example a custome rom would be what I am running now and its based on froyo. You can install tons of different roms based on your preference.

You can over clock your phone - basically speeding it up.

Also with rooting you can delete a lot of the bloatware that comes pre installed on the phone from tmobile

I am sure I am forgetting a ton. But basically you can root your phone and install a lag fix to speed up your phone. No real danger in that.

Ifnyou are going to start doing roms I would suggest doing a ton of reading

Good luck and welcome aboard

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones