• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Root questions. Experts needed.

oam

Mar 12, 2010
I bought an unlocked Milestone which I'm using on Fido (Canada). It's definately not a North American phone since I dont get 3G. I assumed its a Euro version, but I'm not sure. Here are the details on my phone.

Firmware Version: 2.0.1
Firmware Configuration Version: GAS_EMEA_USASHLS00RTHKSG_P007
Baseband Version: 3GSMEPU91A_U_91_08.12I
Baseband Configuration Version: UCASHLSEMEAB1B803F.0R

My questions for you guys are:

1. What version of Milestone is it exactly and is it rootable.
2. If yes, then how would I go about to do that? Is there a guide which I can follow in order to not screw up my phone.
3. I'm interested in getting custom roms with the 2.1 firmware. Is that possible with this phone since ive heard about the limitations the Motorola has put on the Milestone.

I really appreciate all the help because Ive done a lot of reading on these boards and the more I read, the more confused I get lol.

have you checked your apn settings? that might be why you don't get any 3g.

there is only one way to root any milestone and its basically impossible to **** it up. if you manage to **** it up infact, ill pull my milestone apart and eat it.

you should probably learn to use google too cuz it can answer pretty much any question in miliseconds you know.

I can't have 3G and yes I have already put in the appropriate APN settings. That's not what I asked in the first place. I am aware of Google and I have done some searching and didn't find the answers I wanted about which version of Milestone I have and whether there any difference between them in regards to bootloaders and rootability.

Upvote 0
I can't have 3G and yes I have already put in the appropriate APN settings. That's not what I asked in the first place. I am aware of Google and I have done some searching and didn't find the answers I wanted about which version of Milestone I have and whether there any difference between them in regards to bootloaders and rootability.

Thst info can be found in 2 secs by searching this section. No EU/Canadian Milestone is rootable in the way the U.S Droid is. Not until Motorola stop being idiots.

Upvote 0
1. Its the retail HK/SG version. Thats Hong Kong and Singapore for those who didn't figure it out the first time.

2. There are multiple guides on the internet, and I'm sure theres one here. Basically it involves downloading a ~30MB milestone_root.zip ( google that ;) ), renaming it to update.zip, putting it on the root of the sdcard, starting the phone in recovery mode ( holding power and camera while starting ), then holding the volume up key and then while holding that press the camera key, sliding open the keyboard, selecting apply sdcard:update.zip and then rebooting the phone. Very simple if you ask me. I would agree with the 2nd poster.

3. There are no custom ROMs except for the Pulsar ROM for the milestone and I'm not very well informed when it comes to that.

Reactions: MarioNico
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones