1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Root Questions.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by SLR 722, Mar 26, 2011.

1. SLR 722

SLR 722 Member
    None

Jul 16, 2010
    Hi.

I have recently rooted my Droid X and would like to ask a few root-related questions.

I used z4root to root my phone. I believe it said that BusyBox would also be installed (along with Superuser). However, I do not see BusyBox in the app drawer. How would I be able to access it? If it wasn't installed, would I need to get one from the market? Do I need BusyBox?

I heard that Gingerbread was supposedly coming to the Droid X by the weekend. I heard that the Gingerbread update has been difficult to root and that 1-clicks do not work. And I do not wish to lose root. I have heard that flashing a ROM or freezing/renaming bloat APK's can force stop OTA's. I am not ready to flash ROM's at the moment (but I plan to in the near future). Would renaming/freezing those APK's prevent the OTA from installing?

In regards to the freezing/renaming APK's, will either method prevent the OTA from installing?

Is "Droid X Recovery Bootstrap" by ClockworkMod (on the Market) the correct bootstrap that is needed? If not, could you possibly direct me to the right one? This is used to create backups, correct? Is this also referred to as a "nandroid" backup?

I also plan on trying overclocking/undervolting, theming, and changing fonts. I have read that creating a backup before doing these things is recommended. Is this correct? Should I also create a backup before attempting to freeze/rename APK's?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Advertisement

2. gmenfan83

gmenfan83 Android Expert
    None

ok ....dont worry about busy box it will be installed for you ,
    if you do decide to rename apps/apks then yes it will stop an ota from going through,so yes make a backup before you rename anything,in fact as soon as you root and install bootstrap(yes from the market and its not by clockworkmod it boots you into clockworkmod,a place where all things like roms and themes are installed,the app was made by kousch)this backup will be your gateway back to a stock but rooted state to accept any ota or if you somehow run into issues.
    Many of us just install a rom that removes bloat apps for you because if you dont know what your freezing or deleting and another component of your device is dependent on the apk you froze or deleted then you will have issues,the devs who make these roms know more than us and are able to remove all bloat without accidentally erasing something they should not.
    also in order to theme/mod or change aspects of your device you must have root and be deodexed(a process that removes the odex files from the device allowing further customization),with that being said when you install a rom it will deodex for you therfore allowing you to do what you wish as long as its compatible,but if you want to install themes and stuff without installing a rom that will deodex you must manually deodex your x first,i hope much of this is making sense for you and i have properly answered your concerns,here is the order in how i would do things:
    root
    install bootstrap
    backup
    manually deodex(if you choose no rom)
    make another backup
    do as you wish
    here are some guides for you to read and help you
    http://androidforums.com/droid-x-al...ide-root-unroot-backup-rom-sbf-overclock.html

here is a great deodexing guide with explanations and links to the files you need to deodex:
    Deodexing Explained + How To

good luck!:)

SLR 722 likes this.
  3. SLR 722

SLR 722 Member
    None

Jul 16, 2010
    Thank you for all of the information that you have provided.

I have another question.

I downloaded the Droid X bootstrap and proceeded to make a backup. During that process, this came up:

No sd-ext found. Skipping backup of sd-ext.
    Generating md5 sum...

Is that something that I should be concerned about?

4. gmenfan83

gmenfan83 Android Expert
    None

no that is normal,,,ignore it,,,another thing you should know is that you can rename that backup to cut down on confusion ,but in the rename you cant add any spaces or the backup will not restore,,,,
    a backup should look something like this
    DARKSLIDE_4.2_CUSTOM,,,,,notice the underscores in replace of spaces,,,now you can rename your backups by downloading the free version of rom manager from the market and using it or you can just use your file manager(i use astro and estrongs) and open your file manager app,,,scroll to clockworkmod folder,,,go into backups,,,you will see your backup in date and time format,longpress it select rename and rename it ,now when you go into clockwork to restore you will see a name rather than a date,this really helps when you start doing more stuff and creating more backups ,,,imagine having 10 backups all in date /time format and remembering which each is for!

SLR 722 likes this.
  5. SLR 722

SLR 722 Member
    None

Jul 16, 2010
    Thank you again.

Also, in regards to renaming backup files, does it have to be in a specific format, with the exception of no spaces? Does there have to be a ".zip" at the end of it? Are there any other precautions that I should be aware of before restoring a file that has been renamed?

6. gmenfan83

gmenfan83 Android Expert
    None

no you do not need to add a file extension such as .zip,,,,etc but there are certain icons that cant be added but i dont remember them so i stick to using underscores and dashes and have never had an issue

SLR 722 likes this.
  7. SLR 722

SLR 722 Member
    None

Jul 16, 2010
    Ok.

After renaming my backup file, this is what it looks like:

2011-03-26_stock_rom_rooted

Is it safe to rename it that way?

8. C0n57an71n3

C0n57an71n3 Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 4, 2010
    Yeah, you're good with that.

SLR 722 likes this.
  9. gmenfan83

gmenfan83 Android Expert
    None

+1

10. SLR 722

SLR 722 Member
    None

Jul 16, 2010
    How can I freeze applications within Titanium Backup? I believe I know how, but not very sure and would like to ask before doing anything.

Also, how do I rename APK's using Root Explorer?

11. althepal1984

althepal1984 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 7, 2011
    warehouse manager
    Jacksonville, Nc
    Have to buy it... well worth it. Click on whatever you want to freeze and on the pop-up hit freeze. To rename you just have to change the end of the file name.apk to name.bak that way ifyou need to you can change it back. But TiBu freezing works just fine for me

12. C0n57an71n3

C0n57an71n3 Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 4, 2010
    To be hoenst, TiBu isn't needed anymore. Root Explorer does the same thing, gets you to look at Android internals and learn, and is cheaper, I believe.

Plus, Google restores everything for you.

13. pool_shark

pool_shark Android Expert

Aug 21, 2010
    Male
    Infrastructure Engineer
    Ohio
    Root explorer isn't needed anymore either. ES file explorer has a root option, plus it has LAN access so you can transfer files between your phone and PC, it also has its own movie viewer, and it's free.

Renaming your apps is error prone, there is no need to rename them. You have root, and you have busybox, create another directory and move the apps you don't want.

Most apps are in /system/app. I created a directory name /system/app/APPS.

When I want to move apps I cd to /system/app, ls for whatever files I want to move, and move them.

EX:
    # cd /system/app
    # ls Ci* (which shows me the 2 Cityid files)
    #mv Ci* APPS

I put all the apps I don't want in APPS.

If I need to put them back all I have to do is:
    cd /system/app/APPS
    mv * ..