1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root root/rom flashing FAQ?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by syi, May 25, 2011.

1. syi

syi Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 5, 2011
    Male
    I dont do shit
    oregon
    I have been rooted for sometime, and recently decided to flash a custom rom, had a whole slew of problems and questions for that you guys were helpful very helpful with. now running CM7 w/ gapps. I pretty much love it. but what more can i do with my phone or the rom? what more is there to get out of this midnight tinkering I've been doing with my phone(mind you; is more expensive than any computer i have ever owned)

I have a few problems here and there, nothing really big or deal breaking, I've gotten most of the recommended root user apps, but what next is my real question. this can't be all there is to it.

Advertisement

2. beastinbolts

beastinbolts Android Expert
    None

Apr 16, 2011
    Start in on theaming....ask granite to post his Mario brothers theam... it is sick the amount of detail he went in to

3. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    yeah here is his thread http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/322488-super-mario-bros-theme.html. also check into getting a wii remote bluetoothed paired to your evo. then you can get some emulators like for nes and play super mario or other games. and if you use the hdmi app you can hook it up to your tv and play from there. also cm7 has the built in tethering as well. not sure what else you want from a rom.

also try the tiamat kernel in my sig. it has given me the best battery life.

4. beastinbolts

beastinbolts Android Expert
    None

Apr 16, 2011
    try making a bootanimation.....

5. evomattnc

evomattnc Android Expert
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    Mechanical Engineer for GE Nuclear
    NC
    Now there are worlds of potential I myself havent even tested.

Of course you can fully theme your rom. You would probably be happy with tinkering with the basics for now. So grab a launcher like launcher pro, adw, go, etc and go to town with icons and dock bars and backgrounds. Create your own. you can set whatever pictures you like. Mess with your lockscreen with apps like widgetlocker or goto lock screen. Mess with other widget makers like minimalist text, beautiful widgets, fancy widget, simi clock, oneseven, slidescreen, digital clock widget, android agenda widget, circle battery widget, and jorte to name a few common widget apps.

If you really want to theme grab something like paint.net, its what i use recently, png gauntlet, 7zip, these will let you do some basic stuff. OK now grab your framework-res.apk file out of /system/framework and put it on your computer. Now open framework-res.apk in 7zip as an archive, drill down through res/drawable/hdpi folders in here you will find a ton of .png files, these make up most of what you see on your screen. Edit these to your hearts content, then optimize them in png gauntlet and put them back in the .apk and update the archive (just go up a few levels, it will ask). Now you will also find most of your .xmls that control colors and .jar and your .dex file in here that we can get another day. You can tinker for a bit in the .pngs for a bit. Now make a back up first but either put this in a flashable zip or push it back to system/framework and reboot, voila.

Also you can turn the phone into a complete home entertainment system which i think is neat. You can get game emulators like nesoid, snesoid, gearoid, etc and then get roms for those games and play them on your evo, whats even cooler you can hdmi that to your tv and play any game console you want on the tv. Now if you bluetooth your wii controller to it you can control it with the wiimote instead of the screen. How cool is that? Play every game you wanted on your tv with a wii mote by just owning an evo.

HDMI is probably cool in general since we can stream netflix now too.

I'll keep thinking...

MizzouBrent and Granite1 like this.
  6. Granite1

Granite1 Zercron Encrusted Tweezer
    None

Dec 27, 2010
    Male
    Highway Construction Inspection
    Pittsburgh, PA

Good god! I never thought of that! Dude I'm totally gonna do a mario boot anime. More stuff to read up on. :D

Mr. Ed made a guide didn't he?

7. evomattnc

evomattnc Android Expert
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    NC

He did sir...

8. Granite1

None

Dec 27, 2010
    Male
    Pittsburgh, PA

Excellent smithers, excellent. :D

9. ocnbrze

None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    los angeles
  10. Granite1

None

Dec 27, 2010
    Male
    Pittsburgh, PA
    The boot anime may just be my weekend project. Should I go old school, or get some new wii footage? Hmmmmmm....

O btw, to OP, sorry for pseudo hijacking your thread. :)

11. syi

syi Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 5, 2011
    Male
    I dont do shit
    oregon
    this is just awesome, and a lot of it is above my head, but will a wii mote work for px4droid well? i mostly play psx and n64 on my evo

12. ocnbrze

None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    los angeles
    it should. i dont see why not. gonna purchase a wii remote this weekend and play around with. also gonna try the hdmi mirror as well and see if it will play with my 60" plasma tv.:D

13. syi

syi Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 5, 2011
    Male
    I dont do shit
    oregon
    no worries, i wanted this to be an idea thread.

14. syi

syi Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 5, 2011
    Male
    I dont do shit
    oregon
    more on this themeing stuff please, like i don't really want to make my own, but i'd love to try out the super mario bros theme, but how do i do it exactly? is there a thread or something?

15. ocnbrze

None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    los angeles
  16. syi

syi Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 5, 2011
    Male
    I dont do shit
    oregon
  17. ocnbrze

None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    los angeles
    yeah he has not packaged it. if you read through it there is some info on how to do some of it. pretty much you need the images of icons you want, launcher pr, and there are various apps that you can use to switch icons. the one i use is desktop visualizer. also you can grab more themes over on xda.

18. evomattnc

evomattnc Android Expert
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    NC

I'll drop some info when I get time this weekend bro.

19. Granite1

None

Dec 27, 2010
    Male
    Pittsburgh, PA

My actual theme is still under construction, I have 2 kids and a full time construction job, so my time is limited. I should be working on it right now! :D

What I did was google some mario icons and wallpapers. This is the longest step in my opinion. Save these to your SD card in a folder named iconz or something.

Next download Launcher Pro from the market. Set it as your default launcher. Just as a note, when you use LP you don't have access to the Sense widgets. You can buy the LP+ and it has Sense like widgets, or just search for comparable widgets from the market.

Once you have LP running how you like it, long press the phone icon. Choose change icon and choose custom icon, then choose gallery. The icons you put on your sd card should show up. Choose the one you want for your phone and wolla! :) the icon is changed. Do this for all the icons in the dock. You can also change the app in the dock using the same method.

Now to Change icons outside the LP dock you need another app from the market. I use folder organizer, but desktop visualizer is pretty much the same. Open folder organizer and choose apps. Then click on the arrow on the right and choose icon, then Android image gallery. Find your icons again and choose the icon you want to use. This sets the icon image in folder organizer only, it won't change the app icon in your app drawer unfortunately.:eek:

Now long press on your home screen, shortcuts, choose folder organizer item, apps, click the app you want. What folder organizer does is set a custom shortcut to the original app only. This is a little loophole to change icons for apps without getting into the framework files. That involves full blown themeing with different programs and actual code for colors and such. I'm not going to get into that here, cause I'm still figuring that out myself! :eek:

I'm going to copy this post over to the mario theme thread so others that go there can follow how I did this. :D

Hope this helps, and any questions please ask away!

Tags: