1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root, rom

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by khonji, Jan 4, 2012.

1. khonji

khonji Lurker
    None

Jan 4, 2012
    Hi there,

I just got my Samsung tab 10.1, just wanted to know what does root do? Will it give me a wider range of app/games? because in my country, when i read about some apps on the internet, then i go to the market i dont find that app? will the rooting gives me such access?!!
    Also i want to know about ROM? what does it do? is it upgradable? if i root the device shall i change the rom or no? Thanks Guys:thinking:

Advertisement

2. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    Rooting is the same thing as getting Admin access on a PC.

Changing the ROM just gives an opportunity to change layout, look, feel and overall efficiency or performance. It is changing your system software.

Being rooted can give you access to a few more apps requiring root, such as the Android firewall, DroidWall, or being able to make better backups.

khonji likes this.
  3. khonji

khonji Lurker
    None

Jan 4, 2012
    Thsnk you very much, 2 more questions, and hope they are the last:), so when i root the device, u said i will get an access to android firewall and droidwall, how can i access those, is it automatically once i root i get them, or i need to download them from the market? 2nd question, how can i change the ROM? Thanks

4. dan330

dan330 Android Expert

Jan 22, 2010
    what country are you in? some countries block some apps from you. and some apps require certain hardware. so if your device does not have the support from that app, then it will not show up.

root gives you the ability to access all things on your device. some apps require that you have permissions to install them and they want to access things in your phone that was not allowed before. you still have to go install them.

ROMs are very very device specific. NEVER try to install a ROM that is not developed for your device. you will be sorry!!!

you can find them here at AndroidForums...in the ROOT section of the sub-forum of your device...

EarlyMon likes this.
  5. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    And DroidWall is free in the Market.

6. khonji

khonji Lurker
    None

Jan 4, 2012
    thanks guys. am in united arab emirates (dubai). how do i know that there is a ROM developed for my device. i have SGT 10.1. currently 3.2 is installed. thanks

7. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    The full guide so far is listed here -

http://androidforums.com/galaxy-tab...asics-rooting-roms-kernels-more-9-4-11-a.html

Also, check out the other threads in that sub-forum for latest/more info.

Hope this helps! :)

PS - I know some ROMS will allow you to install Arabic language support if that is a preference for you. I don't know the details on that, but I've seen it discussed successfully elsewhere here on the forums.

khonji and dan330 like this.
  8. khonji

khonji Lurker
    None

Jan 4, 2012
    Thank you vvery much. Now my Device is rooted:) Just couple of questions, How do I know if any device is rooted? And you said I will be having an Admin access to my device, so How can I benefit from this rooting? few examples would be great. Thanks