• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROOT] Rooted kernel for Blaze 4G :: 4/9/12

k0nane

Android Expert
Apr 8, 2011
www.k0nane.info
k0nane presents...
Rooted Kernel for Blaze 4G
Sponsored by k0nane.info. Have you tipped your devs today?

DO NOT CHECK REPARTITION! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Why the big red warning? Far too many people have broken their devices by not following these instructions! Search the forums, or drop by IRC - you'll see plenty of examples.

So, you wanted root? You got root! Samsung devices come with an unlocked bootloader. Thanks to pointers from other members that the T-Mo SGS2 CWM boots (badly), we were able to get some dumps, and prep this easily little package for you. This kernel includes a fully-linked copy of BusyBox 1.19.3, init.d (busybox run-parts) support, and various other niceties. Devs, see here for what the script essentially looks like.

Instructions

1. Download Odin 1.85 - see section below.
  2. Download the rooted kernel TAR - see section below.
  3. Extract the contents of odin-185.zip.
  4. Run Odin 1.85.exe, and prepare Odin:
    • Check "auto-reboot", and uncheck all other options.
    • Click PDA and select the TAR you downloaded. Click PIT and select the PIT your downloaded.
  5. Put your device into Download Mode:
    • Connect the USB cable to your PC, but NOT your device.
    • Remove the battery.
    • Reinsert the battery.
    • Hold down Volume Up + Volume Down + Power.
  6. You should now be at Download Mode.
  7. Click Start in Odin.

That's it! Your device will autoreboot, and your phone should be working properly again.

Downloads​

Credits:

• DrTaru: stock device, remote access, lots of testing, screenshots, patience
  • Shabbypenguin: Shabbypenguin (do I need to say more?)
  • JFigure/Watcher64: initial testing and pointers/proof of concept
  • UberPinguin: notes on building kernels for celox, which also apply to this device

P-O-S-T :: R-E-S-E-R-V-E-D

AAvvp.png

Original artwork by Pendulum via Gasolin3.

...for future use.

Follow me on Twitter @k0nane and @publik0!

Upvote 0
Ok. Noob here. Just got this finished. You may want to add that all the drivers need to install before you press start in Odin, as that is where I got a little lost.

That being said, nice simple tutorial!

This is my first rooted android phone, and I'm not quite sure why I even rooted it. Are there any tutorials on getting started after rooting and all the stuff to do?

Also, since this root just came out does that mean that there are no custom roms for it yet? I.e. "Cyanogen"

Upvote 0
I am new here, and I also run Linux. (not Windows or Mac) what is Dowload PIT? I need a proper extension for that file so I can save/run it.

The PIT is exactly what it says on the tin - a PIT. It's a partition info file. If you wish to flash in Linux, or on a Mac, use Heimdall. Read the instructions and you shouldn't have a problem.

Upvote 0
Ok. Noob here. Just got this finished. You may want to add that all the drivers need to install before you press start in Odin, as that is where I got a little lost.

That being said, nice simple tutorial!

This is my first rooted android phone, and I'm not quite sure why I even rooted it. Are there any tutorials on getting started after rooting and all the stuff to do?

Also, since this root just came out does that mean that there are no custom roms for it yet? I.e. "Cyanogen"

It will be awhile before you find any ROM's for this, but this certainly is promising. What can you do with root now? Get rid of the bloat on your phone. Easiest way is to download something like root explorer (not free, but worth it) and navigate to your system folders. Be careful as removing some things can hose your system...my suggestion is to rename files instead of deleting them.

Another nice thing about root is the ability to use something like Titanium to back up your apps.

Upvote 0
well, finally git it rooted this morning (on the netbook running Winders), but I think I did something VERY BAD. I get TWLAUNCHER and ANDROID PROCESS ACORE errors. I ran the recovery mod that k0nane wrote and supplied, but no change. can't even get to the home screen anymore.
Have I bricked my phone? I tried teh hard reset, but that did nothing as well. Do I have a really expensive paperweight on my hands?

Upvote 0
I tried doing this with no luck..

I downloaded all the files, set everything up, and tried to restart my phone. I pulled the battery, held the volume keys and hit power, and then let go of power and it went to a funny menu and gave me some options:

Android System Recovery
Enter: OK blah blah blah
Reboot System Now
Apply update from SD card
Wipe Data / Factory reset
Wipe Cache Partition

What do I do at this point?

Thanks guys!

Upvote 0
I tried doing this with no luck..

I downloaded all the files, set everything up, and tried to restart my phone. I pulled the battery, held the volume keys and hit power, and then let go of power and it went to a funny menu and gave me some options:

Android System Recovery
Enter: OK blah blah blah
Reboot System Now
Apply update from SD card
Wipe Data / Factory reset
Wipe Cache Partition

What do I do at this point?

Thanks guys!

what I did was pullout the battery
At this point connect the phone to USB and make sure it's plugged into computer
Now I inserted the battery
Held down both volume buttons and held power
once phone reacted, I let go of power except for both volume

That way I was able to get to download mode

Upvote 0
what I did was pullout the battery
At this point connect the phone to USB and make sure it's plugged into computer
Now I inserted the battery
Held down both volume buttons and held power
once phone reacted, I let go of power except for both volume

That way I was able to get to download mode

I've been unable to get this or any variation on this to work for getting into download mode.

Is it possible that Samsung has made some of these phones "root-proof"?

Note: There is nothing in the original instructions that says when to connect the USB to the device. In the video on this process the USB is connected the whole time. When I've tried that I just get the phone vibrating every second or so and a gray battery icon when I put the battery in.

Upvote 0
I finally was able to get into Download Mode, using ADB. I followed the steps above with Odin, but when I finally pressed start, I got the message:

<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 0)

That's all. Nothing else happened. The phone is still staring at me in Download mode.

Update: For reasons unknown to me, following the same steps on a different machine resulted in success. My phone is now rooted.

I'm now using the NoFrills CPU app to manage the clock speed, and I'm using Gemini App Manager to freeze out apps that I have no use for. This utility has other useful features, such as being able to move apps to the actual external SD card, and create backups. That's pretty much all I wanted to be able to do with root, so I'm done for now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones