• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root root,s-off,simunlock,superCID htc merge

Pretty sure its my PRL list.
The PRL list lists the radio frequencies the phone can use in various geographic areas and mine happen to be US Cellular's towers... I think thats how it works....
So I think thats why when I dial *228, it goes to US Cellular activation.
I think I need to manually update my PRL's to a Verizon list so that I can activate using *228. Then Verizon activation would update that list for me.

EDIT:
It worked! ....kinda.
I changed the PRL to a verizon one and dialed *228. I got the Verizon activation line!

But here is the kicker. When I opt to "Update roaming capabilities" (update PRL list) the call drops and *228 doesn't work until the phone is rebooted. AND the US Cellular header says, "No Service" until I reboot. Then it goes back to US Cellular and Verizon programming works again.
Dial *228 again and it drops again. Even when selecting 1 to activate it drops. Tried 3 times now. Ugh

Upvote 0
My posts containing the USC HTC Merge aren't really related to this thread and any moderator can feel free to move this. I feel like I'm cluttering the discussion of the guide.

Anyways, I remembered that all Verizon phone's MSL numbers are zero and mine is unique to my phone (US Cellular assignes it). This may be why Verizon cant get into my phone to activate / update it OTA. Now I have to figure out how to change my MSL to "000000."

Upvote 0
I tried with both a manole clip and a raskal clip on an alltell and my vzw merge,and it dint work on either,despite lexikon being a supported device.

It always gave a "failed to find string" error like it wasn't finding the clip "sim card". If you want to try it,adding pieces of paper to make the fit tighter may help.

I may turn my s back on and try it again :) as I recently had the same trouble with a wildfre s and was able to make it work.

I did XTC clip both carriers US Cellular & Verizon. Super CID and SimUnlock S-off was correctly. No problem with GoldCard.

Upvote 0
Hi, I just bought a US Cellular HTC Merge off ebay running android 2.2.
I was wondering if I went through this guide to root, unlock, and then
upgrade to gingerbread, could I then activate it after rather than
activating it before the root, unlock, and upgrade?
yes,you can activate after. it shouldnt matter a whole lot ether you root first or second.

I did XTC clip both carriers US Cellular & Verizon. Super CID and SimUnlock S-off was correctly. No problem with GoldCard.

good to know. did you have to use any tricks? any wierd hiccups while you were doing it?

Reactions: piscean
Upvote 0
Hi, I just bought a US Cellular HTC Merge off ebay running android 2.2.
I was wondering if I went through this guide to root, unlock, and then
upgrade to gingerbread, could I then activate it after rather than
activating it before the root, unlock, and upgrade?
USC has an update to 2.3.4 for the merge, not sure why you'd want to go through all the process when you get legitimate upgrade.

Upvote 0
USC has an update to 2.3.4 for the merge, not sure why you'd want to go through all the process when you get legitimate upgrade.

if the point of the process was simply to run gingerbread,id prolly agree...

however,the point of this thread is to provide a means to root,superCID,simunlock,and turn off the radio secure flag,all of wich have their own unique set of advantages. :)

people are by no means doing this simply to get gingerbread.

Upvote 0
if the point of the process was simply to run gingerbread,id prolly agree...

however,the point of this thread is to provide a means to root,superCID,simunlock,and turn off the radio secure flag,all of wich have their own unique set of advantages. :)

people are by no means doing this simply to get gingerbread.

ah, well my intention is to get the gingerbread on my VZW merge, cause it's really irritating me that Verizon hasn't seen fit to drop it yet.

Upvote 0
Hi everyone... I need a custom RUU & s-off for this carrier--> Open Mobile <-- is a puerto rican carrier. Here is the upgrade file i received......

--> OTA_Lexikon_GB_UTSTARCOM_WWE-Generic_3.08.557.1-2.05.557.3_release_225616ws3b7it148aoa7xc <--

i have not seen a leak for that,so if you wish to do this,you will need to backup your system,boot,and recovery images as described above.

let me know your hboot and radio versions before you start.

we will have to make an upgrade RUU based on your backups. :)

Reactions: kjss
Upvote 0
ahh,gotcha. i can make it into a PD42IMG for you and swap out the recovery,but without a working merge there isnt much more i can do,since i cant test things.

it would be just as easy for you to simply run that RUU at step 7,then flash recovery,then flash the su toolkit as described.

downloading it now :)

if you would rather wait for a PD42IMG,ill try and upload somewhere in the next day or 2

edit:

just got your file downloaded. unfortunately,it doesnt look like there is much i can do with it,without a working phone since its OTA package,not a whole RUU

your radio is unique to your carrier,i dont have it,so icant make a an RUU based on your system backups :(

your best bet may be to hold off until we can find a full RUU for either your current firmware,or thae upgrade firmware.

Reactions: kjss
Upvote 0
ahh,gotcha. i can make it into a PD42IMG for you and swap out the recovery,but without a working merge there isnt much more i can do,since i cant test things.

it would be just as easy for you to simply run that RUU at step 7,then flash recovery,then flash the su toolkit as described.

downloading it now :)

if you would rather wait for a PD42IMG,ill try and upload somewhere in the next day or 2

edit:

just got your file downloaded. unfortunately,it doesnt look like there is much i can do with it,without a working phone since its OTA package,not a whole RUU

your radio is unique to your carrier,i dont have it,so icant make a an RUU based on your system backups :(

your best bet may be to hold off until we can find a full RUU for either your current firmware,or thae upgrade firmware.

ok.. thanks a lot for your time..... :)

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
I have a couple of questions, one- my carrier is bluegrass cellular, which i am assuming is the same as the bluegrass wireless you posted, but I'm running gingerbread, not froyo, can i still use the link you posted. Two i use a mac, Im thinking that the only difference in the instructions would be using terminal, but i wanted to verify before starting the process.

Upvote 0
if you use the upgrade RUU we have,youll be on froyo. if you apply the "stock" froyo,you should OTA back to gingerbread(assuming thats how you got it inthe first place)

if you ran a RUU to upgrade to GB,you can just rerun that,then install recovery and flash root files manually.

if you used an RUU,please upload it,or get me a link where you can found it,so that i can add it to the first post. :)

as fasr as the mac,there will be some slight differences in the commands. being unfamiliar with the mac,i cant help you much there :(

Upvote 0
I don't know much about flashing or rooting of any sort but got brave enough to try on my US Cellular Merge now that my contract is up. I was having a swell enough time with it until the end of step 5. All of my output matched what was posted here, but when my phone tried to read the PD42IMG I received an Invalid CID message with no option to update.

I reformatted my gold card and started over, and now when I get to the command prompt to run zergRush I get the message

[-] Cannot copy boomsh.: Permission denied

Any nudge in the right direction would be much appreciated!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones