• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Root Start

This appears to no longer be available. Is there a replacement?
now you guys can make screen shots:ShootMe (Screen Grabber)

If you are on MikG, you can take screen shots with the power/home button combo. Press power, then quickly press and release the home button.
It takes some practice, but that is how you take a screenshot on MikG3.11;)

Reactions: tube517 and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I downloaded these apps like it was suggested, but I don't know how to use them. Are there tutorials where I can read how to use these? Hopefully these will help me get rid of bloatware.
if you want to use a kernel:SetCPU for Root Users
use this to backup your apps: Titanium Backup ★ root
if you want to run linux commands:Android Terminal Emulator
this is not an app but it is something that you can use to make sure that you have a clean environment before you flash a rom. it is called vr superwipe:ZZZVR_SUPERWIPE.zip

Upvote 0
I downloaded these apps like it was suggested, but I don't know how to use them. Are there tutorials where I can read how to use these? Hopefully these will help me get rid of bloatware.
if you want to use a kernel:SetCPU for Root Users
use this to backup your apps: Titanium Backup ★ root
if you want to run linux commands:Android Terminal Emulator
this is not an app but it is something that you can use to make sure that you have a clean environment before you flash a rom. it is called vr superwipe:ZZZVR_SUPERWIPE.zip
  • setcpu is used to overclock and underclock your phone. this basically speeds your phone for better performance. and you want to underclock the phone when you are not using it to help control battery life.

so here are a couple of things to read:
  • titanum backup(tb) basically backs your apps and its data. one of the other features is that it can freeze/unfreeze apps. this is helpful if you are trying to delete bloatware, but you are not sure which you can safely remove without having your phone freak out as your phone may rely on some of the apps to run smoothly. you can freeze an app and see if your phone freaks out, if it does you can just unfreeze it. and if it is safe then you can just delete it. i never use this feature cuz i flash custom roms who have all of the bloatware removed.

here is a guide for you:
    http://androidforums.com/faqs/607141-guide-titaniumbackup-tutorial.html
  • terminal emulator(te) is a tool that you can use to run scripts as well as command the phone to do certain things. scripts are tiny bits of code that you can run to help speed things up a bit. there are some nice memory management tweaks out there as well. i like te but you have to know how to use it.

here are a couple of things you can do with te:
  • the shoot me app is nice. it used to be available to all non root users. but then froyo cam around and now it only workd for root users. this just makes a screen shot of your phone. it is mainly used on the forums to brag about there setup or to show us an error or issue they are having. it is pretty simple to use.
  • and the last one is superwipe. this you flash after you wipe your phone accordingly and before you flash a rom. it is just another script that wipes the phone ensuring a clean environment for you new rom to install into. the guide shows you how to flash it in the instructions on how to flash a rom.
hope that helps. if you need more explanations then please feel free to ask away.

Upvote 0
I haven't been able to do anything with my EVO lately, but I have noticed the battery last no where near as long as it used to. Will that ^^^^ info help me out? Or is there something else I can do? Where can I look to see what is draining my battery? Even though I am not a hardcore/heavy user of my phone it used to last from 0630 to at least 2200 with no charge in between. Sometimes it would not, but that would be because I used it a lot that day.

Upvote 0
I haven't been able to do anything with my EVO lately, but I have noticed the battery last no where near as long as it used to. Will that ^^^^ info help me out? Or is there something else I can do? Where can I look to see what is draining my battery? Even though I am not a hardcore/heavy user of my phone it used to last from 0630 to at least 2200 with no charge in between. Sometimes it would not, but that would be because I used it a lot that day.

yes......the best part about rooting is that you can flash a custom kernel. kernels are the go between hardware(phone) and software(rom). and using setcpu to control the cpu will also help with battery life. setcpu is what you will use to over or underclock the phone, but you need a custom kernel in order to do it.....so for better battery life i would look into reading those.

Reactions: ARt15 and Mikestony
Upvote 0
I decided to change roms, and I am going to try this one; deck's reloaded.
This rom is only approved for use with mason kernels; the kernel I am using. I have been to xda-developers and can not find any where that tells me where to download the file. Can you point me in the right direction? What radio is recommended? Are all the steps pretty much the same to change to an new rom?

Upvote 0
I decided to change roms, and I am going to try this one; deck's reloaded.
This rom is only approved for use with mason kernels; the kernel I am using. I have been to xda-developers and can not find any where that tells me where to download the file. Can you point me in the right direction? What radio is recommended? Are all the steps pretty much the same to change to an new rom?

radio is not a problem. it does not matter what radio you are on.

you will need to flash the rom then flas the gapps file as well....you can do it all in the same recovery session.

and yes it is pretty much the same:
1. make a nandroid backup
2. wipe properly
3. flash rom
4. flash gapps
5. reboot
6. flash kernel(optional)

Upvote 0
:thinking::thinking:I guess I will do this Saturday. I have to do some reading and refresh myself cause as of right now I have no idea where to start. :thinking: I need to figure out:
nosbc - Standard kernel without sbc
sbc - Smart Battery Control
hwa - Hardware Acceleration
fso - File synchronization off
And which Mason I am, also pick a radio to use.
So far I have downloaded reloaded_500 and gapps. Just need to figure out how to use them. And xda-developers is way too technical for me, I have a hard time maneuvering through there. :thinking::thinking:

Upvote 0
Reactions: tube517 and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
:thinking::thinking:I guess I will do this Saturday. I have to do some reading and refresh myself cause as of right now I have no idea where to start. :thinking: I need to figure out:
nosbc - Standard kernel without sbc
sbc - Smart Battery Control
hwa - Hardware Acceleration
fso - File synchronization off
And which Mason I am, also pick a radio to use.
So far I have downloaded reloaded_500 and gapps. Just need to figure out how to use them. And xda-developers is way too technical for me, I have a hard time maneuvering through there. :thinking::thinking:

You mentioned "picking a radio to use" as park of the reading you needed to do. Although there has been a radio update the one you will get with Reloaded should take care of you just fine. The radio update earlier this year was pretty insignificant.

Changing the radio is a little more involved than flashing a rom or kernel and something you can always do later if you decide to. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones