1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Root through Mac

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Hagibor Chayil, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Hagibor Chayil

None

Jul 20, 2011
    Ok, so I just got my Samsung DROID Charge yesterday, I like it a ton, great battery life, maybe I am the only one, IDK, but I took it out of the box with a 70% charge, went to work and it lasted me 20 hours with moderate-heavy internet (wi-fi) use.

Now I am in the market for rooting. I have read a ton of posts about it and have but one question.

Is all of this stuff available for a Mac? I just moved and dont yet have internet in my new place so my desktop PC is just sitting around without internet and I am currently sitting at a WiFi Hotspot near my house with my MacBook...
    So for the time being, I would be using a Mac.

Thanks,

PS, can I say that I really like the fact that when I typed in the title to my post it came up with a list of similar threads, what a brilliant feature I haven't ever seen of a forum before. hopefully it actually cuts back on reposts. as far as the 4 options go that came up for me, none really helped.

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. birthofahero

birthofahero Android Enthusiast
    None

May 12, 2010
    I too would like to know this.

3. Hagibor Chayil

None

Jul 20, 2011
    Well even though it has only been 23 hours I decided I wanted to try and Root my Charge. A lot of the files, esp ODIN is an exe, which is native for Windows and as far as I can tell won't run on a mac. unless you partition Windows into a section of the HDD. or spend some money on something that does close to that. I am still looking but so far that is what I have.
    Will edit if I find anything else

**EDIT**
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=805300
    This is what I could find on XDA... I dont really want to go through those troubles on my old macbook. so I will get everything transferred over to my desktop tonight and hope that they dont require internet access.

4. Turb0wned

Turb0wned Newbie
    None

Jul 24, 2010
    Man, easiest way, just install vmware and install windows on your mac, thats what I did.

5. birthofahero

None

May 12, 2010
    Just seems silly to install windows just for root. Although, I used to have windows on my Mac just for monkey Island games.

6. Turb0wned

Turb0wned Newbie
    None

Jul 24, 2010
    Well your going to probably have to use windows alot on mac if you plan on keeping Samsung devices.

7. birthofahero

None

May 12, 2010
    Ya, i guess your right. I'm stuck between rooting now or when GB comes out because the dev community will more than likely explode