• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Root, Unlock Bootlader, and install Recovery Guide for HTC Desire 601 (Zara)

Part 2.
Open Command Prompt. Type in cmd in run or if using Windows 8 go to start and type in cmd. Remember where you extracted the Android-SDK-Tools-Android-4.2.2? Good! Change Directory to the files locations. I put mine into with all the files taken out of the Android-SDK-Tools folder. Type into command cd(path to folder). This is what it should look like.

Im having trouble with this part. I allocated the folders to my desktop and I have no idea what you are asking, or how I do it.

Upvote 0
Im having trouble with this part. I allocated the folders to my desktop and I have no idea what you are asking, or how I do it.
So what I want you to do is to extract and move those files into a folder. So the easiest is just creating a folder in your documents for instance, name it Android. Then in your command prompt type in. cd \users\(your username)\documents\android and hit enter. That'll change where command prompt looks. So with this you'll be able to use adb and fastboot.

Upvote 0
if you just open the folder you want to use the cmd prompt in you could just

place your pointer in an empty space of the opened folder

hold down SHIFT+ right-click

then choose

open command prompt here

it will open the command prompt in the current directory (usually a folder with adb and fastboot exe's inside) then send needed command

Upvote 0
I plan on getting the Zara in the next few weeks and would like to root it. However I have a Mac. I do have the Android SDK with fastboot setup on my system. Should these steps work with that setup? I have apps I'd like to restore from my old phone via TitaniumBackup so I'm going to need root.

Update: Turns out HTC will give you a not only a Mac fastboot executable, but a linux one too. TY HTC. Liking you guys more and more

Upvote 0
You flashed the new recovery yes? Stock recovery just throws you back into bootloader.

Do you have a copy of the stock recovery in case I ever need to unroot.(guide on that one day?)

Also have you been having any trouble with SuperSU? I noticed yesterday I couldn't hotspot so I went in to check permissions. It keeps askings to install binaries and almost always fails, and closes itself. When it is successful it doesn't stick. Was hoping to restore a titanium backup of it, but TB doesnt work now because of bad root access. It has crashed my phone a few times. It kept popping up notifications that an app had been granted permission 4 times/minute. I restarted and went immediately into airplane mode and was able to get a "successfully installed" notice and turn off those annoying global notifications. And that's about all the victory I've had. I left a review on the app notifying the developers. Just wondering if you knew what to do.

Upvote 0
Do you have a copy of the stock recovery in case I ever need to unroot.(guide on that one day?)

Also have you been having any trouble with SuperSU? I noticed yesterday I couldn't hotspot so I went in to check permissions. It keeps askings to install binaries and almost always fails, and closes itself. When it is successful it doesn't stick. Was hoping to restore a titanium backup of it, but TB doesnt work now because of bad root access. It has crashed my phone a few times. It kept popping up notifications that an app had been granted permission 4 times/minute. I restarted and went immediately into airplane mode and was able to get a "successfully installed" notice and turn off those annoying global notifications. And that's about all the victory I've had. I left a review on the app notifying the developers. Just wondering if you knew what to do.

I would recommend switching to CWM Superuser. I had issues with SuperSU on my Nook Color awhile back and made the switch. Mind you I had CWM flashed to my Nook Color and now my Nook HD+ so that might have something to do with it.

I would also like to get a copy of the stock recovery. I'd like a way to get my phone to "almost locked/unrooted" as possible in case I need to turn it in for a warranty repair from Best Buy.

Upvote 0
I would recommend switching to CWM Superuser. I had issues with SuperSU on my Nook Color awhile back and made the switch. Mind you I had CWM flashed to my Nook Color and now my Nook HD+ so that might have something to do with it.

I would also like to get a copy of the stock recovery. I'd like a way to get my phone to "almost locked/unrooted" as possible in case I need to turn it in for a warranty repair from Best Buy.

I'll try CWM but first i just had an "aha" moment of why the hell I hadn't thought to just reinstall the current supersu zip. If that fails CWM it is.

Edit: By the way, Thank you!

Upvote 0
I would like to add a correction to these instructions.

HTC Bootloader Unlock

When downloading fastboot-win.zip from the HTC website, using the commands according to instructions will result in the error AdbWinApi.dll not found. You have to extract the Android-SDK-tools.zip from the original post to an android folder. Example c:/android/
Then you can run the command prompt from that folder. So all of your commands should begin with c:/android.

The instructions for unlocking developer options are missing a few steps. I just got my Desire today and in order to unlock developer options I followed these steps.

Settings>
About>
Software Information>
More>
Build Number

The 'More' step is left out of the original instructions. Could you please update the original post for future users who want to root.

Upvote 0
Hi,

I got an OTA prompt to install Kitkat today on my Koodo HTC Desire 601. My device is rooted (as per the great instructions on this thread) but when the install is attempted, it fails and reboots. The attempted install reboots into the custom recovery and then I see a message there for a few seconds about it being unable to find/mount the file. So, I assume I need to revert to the stock recovery to be able to install Kitkat...does that sound correct? If so, where do I get the stock recovery?

Thanks...

Upvote 0
Hi,

I got an OTA prompt to install Kitkat today on my Koodo HTC Desire 601. My device is rooted (as per the great instructions on this thread) but when the install is attempted, it fails and reboots. The attempted install reboots into the custom recovery and then I see a message there for a few seconds about it being unable to find/mount the file. So, I assume I need to revert to the stock recovery to be able to install Kitkat...does that sound correct? If so, where do I get the stock recovery?

Thanks...

We'll probably have to wait until someone can make a flashable version of the update. We'll also need a build of TWRP or CWM recovery for kitkat for the Desire 601 to flash it. I remember having to do that with my Samsung Galaxy Victory when a ROM update came out.

Upvote 0
Step 5: Get root on your stock rom!

Now this part is easy, hold power and vol down and select recovery. Your recovery will open. The recovery is touch enabled so go to Install Zip, then Choose zip from /storage/sdcard1. Find where you put your SuperSU file and install it. Reboot and you have a rooted rom. Download RootChecker and check just in case.

STEP 6: What now?

The kernel has write protection enabled, so at the moment we cannot delete any programs and debloat, however, if you are having issues with VirginEssentials you can install Aroma File Manager and use that to change the name of the apk (add .bak or something to the end and that should stop that program. OR, use titanium backup and freeze the application. All other root apps should be fine.

When the kernel source code is released, should be soon, I'll release a debloat version of the stock rom.

everything is good untill this point. when the recovery opens it says
PhilZ Touch 6.19.3
Clockworkmod v6.0.4.7
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/command
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/log
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/log
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_log
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/last_log
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_install
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/last_install

and it wont boot into the os. im not sure what to do. ive retried a couple times. making sure i didnt miss anything. but it just wont work??

Upvote 0
I got my Zara_CL version stuck in a bootloop although I didn't even mess with ROMS, it just turned off and now it's stuck in the bootloop, I need the stock ROM, I only found one person that had it and he uploaded it but then it got taken down :(

Can someone please upload it so I can restart it? Or just help me in general with this, because it's getting frustrating with the little amount of help I get off this version of our phones.

EDIT: I FOUND IT! For anyone else needing the Stock ROM:
http://androidfiles.org/?developer=ZaraCL&folder=Stock_Roms

You can take your choice betwen Deodex or Odex :)

EDIT2: Well I need the RUU and again, there are none for VM, im going to try one and hope for the best!

Upvote 0
everything is good untill this point. when the recovery opens it says
PhilZ Touch 6.19.3
Clockworkmod v6.0.4.7
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/command
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/log
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/log
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_log
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/last_log
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_install
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/last_install

and it wont boot into the os. im not sure what to do. ive retried a couple times. making sure i didnt miss anything. but it just wont work??

did you got the fixed?
I got the same program as you....
got stick in the recovery part.
i can fastboot into TWRP or CWM...
but i cant install stock rom,
either in HTC white or the other one is recovery mode, but it seem like its just freezing there

Upvote 0
Htc desire 601 zara_ul 4.4.2. I have unlocked the bootloader, but can't root. Any help would be appreciated.

Tampered, unlocked. S-on
Hboot 2.22.0000
E:/Can't mount

Pictures showing error. Copy and paste.
813.photobucket.com/user/wewillywanker/library/test

IM EXACTLY where you're at. stuck in bootloop. I can't flash the right file it seems and i am stuck with no OS. Did you figure out your issue? I didn't even do a backup and im soft bricked. Any chances you can help me out? Same thing Koodo Gsm . Please

Edit: so i fixed it. I messaged people directly, tweeted, emailed etc. Nobody answered. Guess it's alright. Would I have preferred NOT waiting over a month...obviously. At least I got it.

Upvote 0
Finally managed to root my 601. For those of you who have already upgraded via the OTA to kitkat, you may find CMW or TWRP recoveries do not seem to be working (Previous posts where you are getting E:/can't mount, etc. etc. ) Apparently there was a change (partitions moved/renamed, permissions changed) that keeps those recoveries from working.

Had to find a tweaked TWRP version (2.7.1."1") that had been recoded for the upgrade. Found it over on "[RECOVERY][ZARA_CL][ZARA_UL] TWRP 2.7.1.0 Touch Recovery for KitKat Devices" thread at XDA Developers.

Once I flashed that, had no problem installing SuperSU or superuser package.

Upvote 0
I am attempting to root my HTC Desire 601 and am stuck on Step 4: Flash that Recovery!

I started about 30 minutes ago and am stuck with this:

C:\Users\Boffy\Documents\Android SDK tools>fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
< waiting for device >
target reported max download size of 801906688 bytes
sending 'recovery' (9128 KB)...

How long does this take or has something gone wrong?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones